Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 primers: CCI #41 vs Federal Gold Medal AR Match

avastcosmicarena

Looking at these two options for primers for my ARs. Anyone have any opinions? Is there much of a difference? I've heard that both of these can be hard to seat at times, but that might just be people dealing with military crimps without a proper swage setup.

Edited by avastcosmicarena

Before anyone recommends the CCI 400 primers for the AR15 rifle read the link below.

CHOOSING THE RIGHT PRIMER - A PRIMER ON PRIMERS

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56422.0

Small Rifle Standard

CCI 400 -thin .020" cup, not recommended for AR15 use by CCI/Speer.  Good for .22 Hornet, .30 Carbine.  See Note 1 at the bottom of the page
CCI BR4 - match primer with a thicker .025" cup.   
Federal 205 - Mil-Spec cup thickness according to Federal - okay for 5.56mm.  .0225" cup thickness.
Federal 205M - same as the 205 but the match version.
Magtech PR-SR - .025" cup thickness (not much feedback yet on this new primer as to AR15 suitability but with the same cup thickness as the Rem 7 1/2 it looks good so far
Remington 6 ½ - thin .020" cup, intended for older, lower pressure rounds Remington says do not use for the .223 Rem or other similar pressure rounds.  Good for .22 Hornet, .30 Carbine.
Remington 7 ½ BR - A match or "bench rest" primer.  Lyman & Nosler classify this primer as a Standard.  Remington says the compound is the same as the 6 1/2 but with a thicker .025" cup.
RWS 4033
Winchester WSR - some piercing issues noted when changed from silver to brass cup.  Cup thickness is a bit thinner at .021".  Most say they are good to go for the AR15 despite that, probably because of the hardness of the cup.  Some feel they are less resistant to higher pressures.
Wolf/Tula Small Rifle SR #KVB-223 - soft, sensitive copper cup, not recommended for AR15/military rifle use or high pressure rounds. 

Small Rifle Magnum

CCI 450 - same thicker .025" cup as the BR4 and #41.
CCI #41 - commercial version of the fully-qualified DOD primer for use in U.S. military ammo.  With this primer there is more 'distance' between the tip of the anvil and the bottom of the cup than with other CCI SR primers.  .025" thick cup.  Same primer mix as CCI 450.
Remington 7 ½ BR - A match or "bench rest" primer.  Hornady, Handloads.com, and Chuck Hawks classify this primer as a Magnum, differing from other sources that classify it as a Standard. .025" cup thickness. 
Wolf/Tula Small Rifle Magnum SRM - hard, less sensitive brass cup intended for AR15/military rifle and high pressure rounds - #KVВ-5,56M.
Wolf/Tula Small Rifle 223 SR223 - #KVB-223M "This is the newest primer available in the Wolf line. It is ever so slightly hotter than the small rifle magnum primer and it comes with a brass colored thick cup. This primer can be used in place of the SRM primer or used when a different powder is used that is hard to ignite."

NOTE 1:  According to Speer/CCI Technical Services - Both the CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum and CCI 400 Small Rifle primers are identical in size.  Both primers use the same cup metal and share the same cup thickness.  Both primers use the same primer compound formula and same amount of primer compound.  They can be used interchangeably.

QJM65zp.png

Good info, @bigedp51 . Thanks.

FWIW, the Federal 205MAR is not on that chart. It's more like the CCI 41, 450, and BR4. It has a cup thickness of 0.0255".

From what I've heard, a lot of PRS competitors have done pretty extensive testing and couldn't really tell a difference between the the BR4 and 450 and tend to go with the 450 to save money.

I will probably go with 450s or 41s in the future whenever they aren't sold out everywhere.

Hopefully, I don't have trouble seating these 205MARs.

On 3/27/2020 at 6:57 AM, avastcosmicarena said:

Good info, @bigedp51 . Thanks.

FWIW, the Federal 205MAR is not on that chart. It's more like the CCI 41, 450, and BR4. It has a cup thickness of 0.0255".

From what I've heard, a lot of PRS competitors have done pretty extensive testing and couldn't really tell a difference between the the BR4 and 450 and tend to go with the 450 to save money.

I will probably go with 450s or 41s in the future whenever they aren't sold out everywhere.

Hopefully, I don't have trouble seating these 205MARs.

FYI, Remington ran Lake City from 1941 to 1982 and used their 7 1/2 primers in all the 5.56 ammunition. And the greatest chance of a slam fire in a AR15 type rifle is if a single round is loaded without the magazine in the rifle. When the rifle is feeding from the magazine the bolt velocity is slowed down and the free floating firing pin has less inertia. During the trials period both the M14 and M16 had the firing pins lightened to prevent slam fires. And any primer with a .025 cup thickness is all that is needed for safe operation of your AR15 rifle.

Meaning millions of rounds were fired by the military in the M16 rifle with the Remington 7 1/2 primer without slam fire problems.

Edited by bigedp51

If you want a cheaper option, look at Seller and Bellot small rifle primers, I bought some a few years back to use in my 9 Open STI (I was still new at that caliber) loaded some up and started having misfires, on one round I had three primer strikes with no ignition. I looked at the box and started to read the Czech description on the box (thanks to the US Army I had 47 weeks of Czech language school), and funny enough, the Czech didn't say the same thing as the English version (imagine that). What it said was that the primers were designed for use in Kalashnikov weapons, no wonder they didn't want to ignite, so I traded with a guy for use in his AK for some CCI 500's. I use S&B small pistol without any problems but the small rifle are like the CCI 41's.

• 3 months later...