Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
SnipTheDog

Resizing 30-30

Is resizing better done in a U press vs the Dillon 1050?  It seems like I can get half way down the cartridge and the cartridge starts to bind in a Hornady full length die set.  I really don't want to kill the shell plate nor do I want to get the cartridges stuck in the die.  First time doing the bottleneck cartridges, but have loaded 9mm already.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, SnipTheDog said:

First time doing the bottleneck cartridges, but have loaded 9mm already.

Are you lubing the cases? 

Not really required for straight-wall pistol brass, but absolutely a must for bottle-neck rifle cases.

With properly lubed cases, any of the Dillon presses are more than capable of resizing rifle cases bigger than the .30-30.  Some people may go so far as to use two dedicated tool heads (for 550/650 setups) - one for decapping / sizing / expanding (and possibly trimming), and another for priming / charging / seating, for their 'precision' loads.  But for simple plinking ammo, I'd think you should be able to do it in one pass on the 1050.

Edited by milanuk

Case is lubed.  There seems to be some dragging on the case wall by the sizing die.  The goals was to do a resizing/decapping and then a primer swaging prior to case cleaning.

Maybe I'll take a video once I get my press back together.  Yesterday the ratchet restriction tab broke and I have another on order.

Have tried sizing any in a single stage for comparison?  What does the case look like after the partial sizing?

If the cases are fired, it my be that the chamber was fairly large, so it is requiring more resizing effort to fully size the case.  It also may be that the sizing die amounts to a small base die, which would size more than standard dies.  Small base are not uncommon for lever gun cartridges and semi-autos.

11 hours ago, Guy Neill said:

Have tried sizing any in a single stage for comparison?  What does the case look like after the partial sizing?

If the cases are fired, it my be that the chamber was fairly large, so it is requiring more resizing effort to fully size the case.  It also may be that the sizing die amounts to a small base die, which would size more than standard dies.  Small base are not uncommon for lever gun cartridges and semi-auto

I haven't tried a single stage.  But when it comes to screwing up a single stage vs. the 1050, I'll go with screwing up a single stage every day of the week.

Getting the calipers out, it looks like I need to size the case by only 0.014".  Maybe I'll just risk it.

If you want to de-cap and swage before cleaning, get a universal de-capping die.  Re-sizing a dirty case is shoving gritty crap through your re-sizing die, not a nice smooth clean case, that's why it is taking so much force.

I had bought some cleaned 30-30.  Lubed it up and it ran so much better through the sizing and decapping die.  I'm calling that  a success and a lesson learned.

Don't forget to lube inside the case mouth. 

On 3/22/2020 at 10:28 AM, Ming the Merciless said:

If you want to de-cap and swage before cleaning, get a universal de-capping die.  Re-sizing a dirty case is shoving gritty crap through your re-sizing die, not a nice smooth clean case, that's why it is taking so much force.

I think you're right that the dirty cases were causing the resizing issues.