Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
gnappi

Tennis elbow and weak hand training.

I'm a natural lefty, right eyed dominant, and not a large fellow.  

When I was around 10 (~1961) my dad (a serious country boy and outdoors man) once said: "Son C'mon we need to talk about your handicap" Well, I was in absolutely top physical condition and this word "handicap" stunned me. We sat and my dad went on to say: "Look, you're not a big guy (ultimately up to 5'4") and you're left handed and in a man's world of sports (very little LH gear was made back then) your're screwed. What I want to impress on you is these are two handicaps in sports. So, as far as that goes, you can either learn to use the tools of a larger right handed man or... stay at home with your mother and sister while I go hunting, to target practice, golf, etc." 

So, I learned to golf, play guitar (I STILL call it lefty thought right handed players call it right handed) and shoot right handed. 

In the 80's in came some severe tennis elbow on my right arm, and I had to buy left handed holsters to practice and shoot matches. Since my left arm and hand were always "stronger" I had little issues shooting with my "weak" hand... the left.  Initially my one minor obstacle was my right eye dominance which turned out to solve itself with practice drawing at home. I fitted my 1911's with ambidextrous safeties and wound up  doing fairly well till my right arm healed. Then in the 90's tennis elbow struck again and once more I was forced to shoot (and carry) with my weak hand / arm.

Luckily most other moderately serious injuries were to my left hand which is always used for intricate work like car repairs so my right hand has had a skate on injuries. Bad for guitar playing but good for shooting 🙂

Overall the tennis elbow episodes forced me to train and become nearly as proficient with my left arm as my right, and even though it was literally a pain in some ways it was a blessing. Has anyone else an injury to their dominant arm / hand which compelled them to re-train using their weaker arm / hand?

I previously had pain in my right wrist before shooting. That had bothered me since I started dryfiring, but then the elbow pain came after a while of consistent dryfire and using Grippers. The Ironmind “Expand Your Hands Bands” resolved my issues pretty quickly. I guess it works out the muscle group that does the opposite of gripping, but I don’t know much about it. I recommend getting the whole set of bands as they’re inexpensive. You’ll likely start to feel relief in a few days if your issue was like mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, DKnoch said:

I previously had pain in my right wrist before shooting. That had bothered me since I started dryfiring, but then the elbow pain came after a while of consistent dryfire and using Grippers. The Ironmind “Expand Your Hands Bands” resolved my issues pretty quickly. I guess it works out the muscle group that does the opposite of gripping, but I don’t know much about it. I recommend getting the whole set of bands as they’re inexpensive. You’ll likely start to feel relief in a few days if your issue was like mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the idea of training one muscle group without the compensating side can cause injury. I know about this from weightlifting but didn't think about the hands and forearms this way. I bought some grippers a week or so ago and in researching them the general consensus was to train with rubber bands too.

I don't have the set of bands, I just went into my desk drawer and tried a few until I found one with enough resistance. Now for ever rep I do on the grippers I do one with the rubber band.

@Intheshaw1 that’s also why Chad Reilly has two exercises that work the extensors in the forearms, and two which work the flexors. ;) 

Doing these daily got rid of my tendonitis issues in the elbow. Doing them twice a week keeps that pain away entirely.

On 3/27/2020 at 1:29 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

@Intheshaw1 that’s also why Chad Reilly has two exercises that work the extensors in the forearms, and two which work the flexors. ;) 

Doing these daily got rid of my tendonitis issues in the elbow. Doing them twice a week keeps that pain away entirely.

I cannot second this enough. I developed some terrible tendinitis on a deployment 2 years ago in my left elbow and a milder case in my right; the same exercises shown in the video are what our physical therapists recommended in addition to some thera-band work and they've been game changers for me in both fixing my elbow issues and keeping them away ever since.