Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Part guns

gnappi

Production division states:

"Original parts and components offered by the OFM as standard equipment, or as an option, for a specific model
handgun on the IPSC approved handgun list are permitted, subject to the following"

But does not specify sub model or changes on firearm size / geometry.

For example my large frame DA/SA Witness "compact" (10mm, 3.5" bbl) also has a 4.5" .40 (Conversion kit available on the EAA website as an option) Witness "stock" slide AND an OEM ambi safety with 15 round EAA supplied mags as opposed to the short 10 round compact frame mags.

Is this combination legal in production division?

Forgive me: You are listed as being in Florida but you reference the IPSC list.  Do you want an answer for IPSC or USPSA?  The rules are different and will yield different answers depending on which type match (IPSC or USPSA) you are shooting.

Edited by Schutzenmeister

It makes a pretty big difference because USPSA and IPSC rules are not even close to the same.

There are only 2 IPSC matches a year in the US, both in Florida though, so which is it?

In USPSA, you can pretty much do whatever you want now, so it's fine. For IPSC, I doubt the caliber change is legal. 

I read them both and USPSA and IPSC are similarly ambiguous 🙂 Neither make note of caliber / ammo differences or barrel length changes... only that OFM supplied parts are allowed. Though in the IPSC clause "specific model" comment I read to "Witness" not compact or stock sub models.

I take the vague description of authorized modifications as a green light in my particular case. I guess whether it was IPSC or USPSA having a screen shot of both lines in the current rules would possibly identify the authorizing rules clause to settle a dispute? Whether it's favorably or not ultimately the Range Master would have to make the call.

It's absolutely legal in USPSA now with the 2020 rules having recently been released. You're on your own for IPSC, I don't know anything about their rules and won't be downloading them. Since you are in the US you are unlikely to see any IPSC matches anyway. 

gnappi

Forgive my delay in response.  I was a little busy over the weekend and this is the first chance I've had to dig into the rules in order to properly answer your question.

For your reference, I have worked the US IPSC Nationals 5 times as RM and twice been the RM for the IPSC Pan American Championships.  I am also the only currently active IROA RM in the US … While you cannot take my opinion as an "official IPSC response," at least it's an informed opinion.

Based on your OP, I see no problem with the configuration you describe.  I base this on IPSC Appendix D4 Special condition 17.  The key wording here, in my opinion, is "for a specific model."  Should your gun be questioned during an equipment check and you can show me (likely from the OEM's website) that the parts you substitute are an option for your specific model, I would almost certainly approve it for use in Production.  Remember - The onus will be on YOU to prove it's legal … not on the RM to prove it's not.

Your comment on magazines is covered under different rules (#8 and 9), but what you propose to use is no problem.  Just remember, the maximum rounds loaded for IPSC is 15 whereas the USPSA maximum is only 10.

Unlike waktasz, I make no assumptions as to which matches you choose to shoot.  Ignoring any implications of COVID-19, there are two scheduled IPSC matches in the US for 2020:  The US IPSC Nationals in Frostproof, and the PanAmerican Extreme Open in New Smyrna Beach (both in Florida.)  Given your location there are also a wealth of IPSC matches throughout the Caribbean and Central and South America which may be of interest to you.  See the IPSC Match Calendar (https://www.ipsc.org/ipsc-matches/ipsc-match-calendar/) for a complete list, worldwide.

Good luck and Good shooting!