Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Go Guns *thumb rest [generic]*

zhunter

Thinking about getting one, shot a few rounds with a buddies X5 Legion that had one and it seemed nice.

Has anyone tried one and not liked it on a X5 platform?

Edited by zhunter

I have one and am not totally sold on it. On the clock there’s really no difference if I’m gripping the gun properly. Maybe it’s useful as a reference point if nothing else. It fits my holster without mods fine but have heard some have to modify theirs. I honestly don’t think it’s a “game changer” for the platform. Then again I’m not sure my heavy TXG grip module is any better than my stock X5 grip as the timer doesn’t show any real difference. 

At the end of the day it really just comes down to the fundamentals.  

10 hours ago, dave33 said:

I have one and am not totally sold on it. On the clock there’s really no difference if I’m gripping the gun properly. Maybe it’s useful as a reference point if nothing else. It fits my holster without mods fine but have heard some have to modify theirs. I honestly don’t think it’s a “game changer” for the platform. Then again I’m not sure my heavy TXG grip module is any better than my stock X5 grip as the timer doesn’t show any real difference. 

Well said and I agree. 

Hello: I had one and it was alright but did not make me shoot any faster or better. So I took it off and used the money for a tungsten guide rod. That does make a difference, making the pistol shoot flatter. I have not tested the guide rod enough to see if it is actually better on the clock. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll echo the others. I have one but I’m not particularly sold on it. I’m mostly a 2011 shooter and my fundamental grip is established and consistent. I don’t think it’s worth the cost of admission for me personally but other shooters seem to really like. Mileage varies I guess. 

On 3/20/2020 at 10:15 PM, dave33 said:

Yep, I about the same.

If I get lazy with my grip the TXG helps a little but it still fairly obvious that I got lazy when I look at the target!

• 2 months later...

I’ve been on the fence about one, shot a buddies X5 that had one. Coming from shooting a limited gun with a thumbrest, I thought I was going to like it, but honestly I didn’t see any added benefit. 

I tried to like it but in the end took it off and put the original back on.

My hands aren't particularly large but with my grip my weak hand thumb wants to be a little  bit farther out on the slide.

I felt that the GoGuns was forcing my grip into a position that just didn't feel right.

I suppose I could have adapted in time but just don't see the need for it right now. 

Maybe I'll try it again someday.

I liked it just for grip consistency (as Merldizzle said above ^^^) but if it doesn't fit you none of that matters.  I think you'll have to try it to find out!

I have one I'll let go of if you're interested - PM me 🙂