Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated Bullets

zhunter

I get unbelievable accuracy with DG bullets in my tanfo open gun. I run the 125 grain 9mm. I am shooting major and with that being said I get no leading in my barrel or comp. I did pull some out of a snow bank not to long ago, and every one still had it's coating on full bullet. Minus where the lands contact the bullet. If you go to the web page and use code JE10 that'll save you 10 present on your full order.

I've used and tested every 9mm Bayou bullet Dennis makes. The TC's are more accurate than the round nose. Tested many powder combinations with them too. You can search for my spreadsheet on this site, I'm very detailed in my testing and use a ransom rest if I have inserts for them. As far as diameter, most are .356, but you can order what you need to make your gun accurate, example is my 929. I couldn't get good accuracy until I went to a heavier bullet 160 gr, and the tried .356, .357, .358. The .358 shot the best in my gun. I also got some Brazo's bullets but haven't did a big test yet, the seem to shoot just as good. I use Bayou mainly because they are local to me. I've tried others over the years but love my Bayou's. The most accurate one was the 124 TC but since he quit making them due to mold issues, I use the 120 gr which are just about as accurate. I load for accuracy then power factor. I have a load with the 105's that put 10 shots in a little over an inch at 25 yds.

4 hours ago, Darrell said:

I've used and tested every 9mm Bayou bullet Dennis makes. The TC's are more accurate than the round nose. Tested many powder combinations with them too. You can search for my spreadsheet on this site, I'm very detailed in my testing and use a ransom rest if I have inserts for them. As far as diameter, most are .356, but you can order what you need to make your gun accurate, example is my 929. I couldn't get good accuracy until I went to a heavier bullet 160 gr, and the tried .356, .357, .358. The .358 shot the best in my gun. I also got some Brazo's bullets but haven't did a big test yet, the seem to shoot just as good. I use Bayou mainly because they are local to me. I've tried others over the years but love my Bayou's. The most accurate one was the 124 TC but since he quit making them due to mold issues, I use the 120 gr which are just about as accurate. I load for accuracy then power factor. I have a load with the 105's that put 10 shots in a little over an inch at 25 yds.

Here's the link to the thread with your spreadsheet:

Thanks again for sharing it with us.

Darrell, 

Thank you for all your data!   I too have found that the Bayou 124 gr TC bullet very accurate.   I loaded 18 rounds for testing in my 38 super a few days before a PPC match.   They grouped  great!  I then  proceeded to load 300 rnds for the match and practice.   Took second at the PPC match, but it was a mental mistake, not the gun or load.

I also like the 145gr 9mm Acme bullet for my 986 revolver and XDm5.25.   I couldn't get those to shoot worth a darn with anything else.    Acme has some 124gr RN I bought to use in my Shadow 2.

Paul   

I have been all over the map with the coated bullets.  I've used Bayou, BBI, PC Bullets, Gallant, Precision and Brazos.  Other than the coating and/or colors I have not found one better than the other in terms of accuracy, smoke or function.  It's really just a matter of shoot what you like and go with it.  

My problem is that I keep waffling back and forth with profiles and weights.  I just loaded up a bunch of 135s from Brazos and before that it was 147 FPs from PC Bullets.  Next up is 125s from Precision... All this jumping around really is a waste of time with having to work up charges and then chrono.  Not that the chrono is a big deal since I shoot Steel Challenge.  But I like knowing where I stand.

I really should take my own advice and just pick something and stick with it...

On 4/3/2020 at 8:09 AM, bigdawgbeav said:

I have been all over the map with the coated bullets.  I've used Bayou, BBI, PC Bullets, Gallant, Precision and Brazos.  Other than the coating and/or colors I have not found one better than the other in terms of accuracy, smoke or function.  It's really just a matter of shoot what you like and go with it.  

My problem is that I keep waffling back and forth with profiles and weights.  I just loaded up a bunch of 135s from Brazos and before that it was 147 FPs from PC Bullets.  Next up is 125s from Precision... All this jumping around really is a waste of time with having to work up charges and then chrono.  Not that the chrono is a big deal since I shoot Steel Challenge.  But I like knowing where I stand.

I really should take my own advice and just pick something and stick with it...

I'm pretty much here these days.  I've shot just about all of them; anymore I just shoot whichever one gets me the best deal when I buy in bulk. I think to be competitive you have to have a certain level of quality, and that's just left the good ones who are all pretty much on par with minor changes that might benefit certain setups.

Edited by chenault

That's pretty much where I'm parked.  At the distances we shoot, they all perform well.  And, with the number of rounds I shoot every week/month/year, saving a half cent per thousand or ten thousand adds up!