Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated Bullets

zhunter

Besides the .355 and .356 diameter, are there any differences between brands assuming you are comparing the same diameter?

I am wondering if some are better than others for accuracy, or if it is just a buy the best price?

I am getting ready to purchase a case or two and trying to find the best deal without giving up accuracy.

Are Round Nose any more or less accurate than Conical Nose?

I have been a long time coated bullets guy, early days Blue Bullets and then SNS Casting due to my former CZ’s being better with the .356 diameter.

I have no loyalty, just looking for the best price/accuracy combo

I think it depends on seating die, lots of opinion of soft lead based on other posts resulting in excessive leading, I'm not sure I subscribe to that but have not done or have the ability to do hardness testing, my opinion is there may be a crimping problem causing those reports, I have used 120 TCG Bayou with some good results.

1 hour ago, Rallyx100 said:

I think it depends on seating die, lots of opinion of soft lead based on other posts resulting in excessive leading, I'm not sure I subscribe to that but have not done or have the ability to do hardness testing, my opinion is there may be a crimping problem causing those reports, I have used 120 TCG Bayou with some good results.

I have shot maybe 30K coated bullets, and have never had a leading problem, matter of fact they have been super clean in my barrels.

Edited by zhunter

12 minutes ago, zhunter said:

I have shot maybe 30K coated bullets, and have never had a leading problem, matter of fact they have ll ben super clean in my barrels.

Agreed, it think leading problems are related to reloading practices for the most part, or bore diameter and the projectile dia used.

I have been using the Bayou Bullet (Hi-Tek coating) 120 grain 9mm  truncated cone (TCG) bullet. The body has a longer bearing surface than round nose bullets. It is the most accurate bullet I have found in the 1/16 twist KKM barrel on my S&W CORE. It makes no difference whether I load them to 940 fps for Steel Challenge or 1075 for IDPA/USPSA. The price is reasonable and the service is excellent.

2 hours ago, GOF said:

I have been using the Bayou Bullet (Hi-Tek coating) 120 grain 9mm  truncated cone (TCG) bullet. The body has a longer bearing surface than round nose bullets. It is the most accurate bullet I have found in the 1/16 twist KKM barrel on my S&W CORE. It makes no difference whether I load them to 940 fps for Steel Challenge or 1075 for IDPA/USPSA. The price is reasonable and the service is excellent.

They work good for me

I've gone through 10's of thousands of Bayou Bullets.  In 9 mm I load the 145 gr round nose but have also used a ton of the 147 gr TC with no feeding problems at all.  Price is the same.  The 147 gr TC has a lube groove, the 145 gr RN doesn't.   My postal carrier hates me when 9,000 rounds (3 cases) show up!  But, she's and an ex Army MP and  a shooter so she's cool about it, just has to get out her dolly to get them to the front porch. 

Watch their sales, they typically will give either free shipping on case lots OR 10% off on case lots.   Shipping is by USPS flat rate box and is typically $15.00 (to Florida).  10% off saves you an add'l $7 or so. Right now, they're claiming "historic demand" and just trying to keep up with orders so I don't expect any sales anytime soon.  

Great employee owned American company with outstanding customer-centtic attitude.

I've tried a bunch of brands. And ALL the powder coating keytones solvent based  coated "HiTek" and blue painted ones are garbage or undesirable, from my experience. And the only difference between them is the price. That stuff is a joke. People buy it for the cute pretty cutsie lol "colors".  

I'm a serious shooter/reloader and I don't care about pretty cutsie gay "colors".  I only care about real ballistic performance. And the coating color is of no concern to me.

I now exclusively use J-Ames BULLETS®. Their coating is super tuff, bullets are faster on the chrono and their NLG bullets are really accurate and consistent.

Their shipping is either $5  $8  $10 or FREE SHIPPING. And that's NOT a gimmick, holiday, one time or once a year thing. That's EVERY DAY 365 days a year. 

Their product prices are way less and for a far superior hard cast product - they can't be beat. And you don't even need a stupid "coupon code" to get the lowest prices for a much higher quality product, which is a real PLUS. I see people jibber-jabbering all day over stupid "coupon codes"  Lol.....

Edited by Glockster1

20 minutes ago, Glockster1 said:

've tried a bunch of brands. And ALL the powder coating keytones solvent based  coated "HiTek" and blue painted ones are garbage or undesirable, from my experience. And the only difference between them is the price. That stuff is a joke. People buy it for the cute pretty cutsie lol "colors".  

Wow, pretty strong words!

And yes people do like the colors. 

Did you forget this is a sport and hobby where people wear jerseys and logos to matches?

I don't care about bullet color either, but my years of high volume experience has shown that the HiTek coating on Bayou Bullets is far from "garbage".  I've found them to be accurate, and to chrono consistently with a low SD.  They make the same claims as J-Ames, i.e., self lubricating and to molecularly bond to the lead with no PTFE or moly.  They don't foul my barrel or lead up my comp.  That being said, I'm always open to trying something new and the J-Ames are comparably priced to Bayou... maybe I'll give them a try on my next order cycle.

2 hours ago, Glockster1 said:

I've tried a bunch of brands. And ALL the powder coating keytones solvent based  coated "HiTek" and blue painted ones are garbage or undesirable, from my experience. And the only difference between them is the price. That stuff is a joke. People buy it for the cute pretty cutsie lol "colors".  

I'm a serious shooter/reloader and I don't care about pretty cutsie gay "colors".  I only care about real ballistic performance. And the coating color is of no concern to me.

I now exclusively use J-Ames BULLETS®. Their coating is super tuff, bullets are faster on the chrono and their NLG bullets are really accurate and consistent.

Their shipping is either $5  $8  $10 or FREE SHIPPING. And that's NOT a gimmick, holiday, one time or once a year thing. That's EVERY DAY 365 days a year. 

Their product prices are way less and for a far superior hard cast product - they can't be beat. And you don't even need a stupid "coupon code" to get the lowest prices for a much higher quality product, which is a real PLUS. I see people jibber-jabbering all day over stupid "coupon codes"  Lol.....

How long have you worked there?

50 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

How long have you worked there?

The Glockster has posted about the bullets from J-ames before in other threads. I think he's a 75+ year old retiree who likes to experiment and shoot a lot. Go back and read his posts.

Their online store:

https://jamesbullets.com/store/

As far as J-Ames bullets goes they do look like a quality product and the only way to order from them is to use the old fashion mail system and a paper check. 

They have some different profiles in the various calibers and the "new" special "CRB" 135/125 9mm profile. However, it really isn't "new" and is also sold by almost all the other bullet manufacturers these days. I've been using the same profile from ACME, and now Precision Bullet in 147 for over three years because it loads longer and runs great in my guns. His prices are very competitive with all the others; in bulk around 6+ cents.

Edited by HesedTech

Bayou, SNS, Missouri,, Precision,  
Half a dozen one, six of the other all seem to be close in cost as well.
I buy on weight and profile. 
Like I get my 180gr .358's from MO,,, my 45 255's from Bayou

On 3/19/2020 at 9:20 PM, zhunter said:

Besides the .355 and .356 diameter, are there any differences between brands assuming you are comparing the same diameter?

I am wondering if some are better than others for accuracy, or if it is just a buy the best price?

I am getting ready to purchase a case or two and trying to find the best deal without giving up accuracy.

Are Round Nose any more or less accurate than Conical Nose?

I have been a long time coated bullets guy, early days Blue Bullets and then SNS Casting due to my former CZ’s being better with the .356 diameter.

I have no loyalty, just looking for the best price/accuracy combo

There are differences in the hardness, due to the alloy ratios.   There are differences in the bullet profiles - which results in being able to load some longer than others.   There is difference in the coating    Then I believe all of them are cast, except Precision Bullets.   They are swaged.  Swaging provides more consistency from bullet to bullet IMO.   I did a comparison of  weight deviation with about 5-6 different coated bullet types   , and two jacketed bullets.  Feel free to PM me if anyone wants the spreadsheet.   Precision was the most consistent of the coated.  Now, at the distances we shoot - it’s certainly debatable if deviation from pill to pill really matters at all.  That being said, with them being swaged vs cast , and their new profiles allowing them to load longer in certain tight chambers like my CZ - so I can now load 1 long length and fit all my diff 9mm -  got me to switch over to Precision. Previously I had used Blue, Acme, and DG primarily.   Plus, I’ve met Dave, and he’s bent over backwards to meet timing / quantity needs for me. 

21 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Lol, was thinking the same thing.  The trademark was a nice touch, who goes  to that extent on an Internet forum?

You obviously know nothing about trademarks laws. They have multiple registered trademark(s). If you use ANY company Registered Trademark on the internet, in any way, YOU ARE REQUIRED BY LAW to use its proper registered trademark symbol. Otherwise you can be sued. They know who I am.

Edited by Glockster1

On 3/21/2020 at 7:28 AM, mvmojo said:

I've gone through 10's of thousands of Bayou Bullets.  In 9 mm I load the 145 gr round nose but have also used a ton of the 147 gr TC with no feeding problems at all.  Price is the same.  The 147 gr TC has a lube groove, the 145 gr RN doesn't.   My postal carrier hates me when 9,000 rounds (3 cases) show up!  But, she's and an ex Army MP and  a shooter so she's cool about it, just has to get out her dolly to get them to the front porch. 

Watch their sales, they typically will give either free shipping on case lots OR 10% off on case lots.   Shipping is by USPS flat rate box and is typically $15.00 (to Florida).  10% off saves you an add'l $7 or so. Right now, they're claiming "historic demand" and just trying to keep up with orders so I don't expect any sales anytime soon.  

Great employee owned American company with outstanding customer-centtic attitude.

How long have you worked there ?

Stealing another member's lines, huh?  Not looked upon favorably in comedic circles! 

Sorry if my positive comments seemed a little over the top, that was not my intention.  I have no connection to Bayou Bullets other than a satisfied customer.  As stated above, I'm willing to try other vendors and plan to give J-Ames and Precision a try.  I just watched several of Precision Bullets videos and liked their what I saw/heard.

Jay,  completely from an un-scientific perspective, I have found that Precision bullets  are more accurate than the other models I have loaded. I was getting a lot of flyers with Gallant 125s, round nose. I have found that Precision are much more accurate at distance. We shot the match together last week and I don’t know if you notice, I’m not very fast, but the shots were very accurate (except for that one piece of steel that kept dodging my bullets on stage 6). I attribute a lot of that to the Precision bullet.

On 3/22/2020 at 3:31 PM, Glockster1 said:

If you use ANY company Registered Trademark on the internet, in any way, YOU ARE REQUIRED BY LAW to use its proper registered trademark symbol. Otherwise you can be sued.

Let's just keep this our little secret. :)

The JAmes bullets look to have a shorter nose/longer bearing surface than most, similar shape to the Blue Bullets I have seen.

I have been loading Bayou 124 9mm and find that they now have a different mould for the weight.  I ordered some to try.  

On 3/23/2020 at 5:26 AM, Jollymon32 said:

Jay,  completely from an un-scientific perspective, I have found that Precision bullets  are more accurate than the other models I have loaded.

I also find Precision to be accurate and consistent, they swage their bullets.