Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will the COVID epidemic improve the shooting sports

Gene_WI

Howdy Folks

Philosophical question, and some accountability. What do you think the impact of COVID-19 be on the shooting sports. I am worried that the financial aspects of this epidemic will cause harm to all of us. However long term, will we see drastic improvement for most shooters as a result of the pandemic?

I am working from home for a week now, and I got a great work dry-fire balance going. Running dry-fire drills from Steve Anderson's books, in between meetings and other work tasks.

Anyone else dry firing while stuck at home? Do we want to get a dry-fire accountability thread started?

-Gene

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be an impact, a lot of people are going to take a beating financially.  

I for one wouldn’t want to be getting an email from SVI telling them their gun is finished right now.  

Oil workers are in for a world of hurt.  It’s a huge ****ing mess.

1 hour ago, MikeyScuba said:

There will be an impact, a lot of people are going to take a beating financially.  

I for one wouldn’t want to be getting an email from SVI telling them their gun is finished right now.  

Oil workers are in for a world of hurt.  It’s a huge ****ing mess.

There will be lots of pain. Its already here. 

I bet there will be a few shooters that actually do more reps of good dry and live fire, and show improvement in their shooting for it. A slightly larger group of shooters will do more reps of less than honest not 100% effort dryfire and limited live fire, and will probably end up at about the same place as they started. Many more shooters will, due to financial or movement restrictions be able to do little or no live fire and will do the same little to no dryfire as normal, their shooting will suffer as a result.

the first group is the same people that are crushing matches today, the second and third groups are most of us 

luckily, Im still working.... my office is pretty much empty, but here I am 🤣.

I have several shooting buddies that are working from home, we all are keeping our normal dryfire routines. the only real difference is instead of shooting 3 matches per month we are running live fire drills on the weekends. not sure how this will effect our performance come match time. I hope its for the better.   

18 hours ago, Gene_WI said:

Howdy Folks

Philosophical question, and some accountability. What do you think the impact of COVID-19 be on the shooting sports. I am worried that the financial aspects of this epidemic will cause harm to all of us. However long term, will we see drastic improvement for most shooters as a result of the pandemic?

I am working from home for a week now, and I got a great work dry-fire balance going. Running dry-fire drills from Steve Anderson's books, in between meetings and other work tasks.

Anyone else dry firing while stuck at home? Do we want to get a dry-fire accountability thread started?

-Gene

Congrats on increasing your dry fire practice. I too follow the Steve Anderson method. I haven't altered my practice schedule and don't plan to. I practice an 1 1/2 hours 5 days a week. I think most serious shooters will stick to their schedules. If matches are cancelled for a long time I bet most shooters will stop practicing until the matches resume. 

On 3/20/2020 at 1:21 PM, titandriver said:

Ain't touched my pistol since the last match I shot in Billings last September. No plans to until the next match I'm able to attend, either April or May.

Wow, you guys still have matches in April/May? Ours are all cancelled. Hoping that things will slow down in the summer and we can shoot again.

I doubt there are any positives to any of this other than people will spend more time with their families and maybe some Moms will decide to stay home with the kids if Dad has a good income. For most people they're going to have to work harder than ever to recoup. 

Longer term I bet people look for shorter duration, less expensive, closer to home and smaller scale matches and hobbies in general. 

Edited by Frankly

Have been livefiring like an animal for two weeks and only today looked online for primers. The hoarders have struck, and I missed it. 

Any thoughts as to when primers might be back in stock? I was stocked up during the previous shortages so didn't watch that closely for their return to inventory

On 4/2/2020 at 7:55 PM, konkapot said:

Have been livefiring like an animal for two weeks and only today looked online for primers. The hoarders have struck, and I missed it. 

Any thoughts as to when primers might be back in stock? I was stocked up during the previous shortages so didn't watch that closely for their return to inventory

speaking of reloading, my tumbler has been rocking nonstop for the past couple of days!

If they weren't before, I doubt there are now. 15 minutes a day isn't hard to fit in. It'd about as much time as you spend on the toilet playing on your phone.

The only way we maybe see more people is because of all the panic buying, everyone ran out and bought guns.

On 3/30/2020 at 4:47 PM, titandriver said:

All cancelled - maybe June or July now!

Lead Farm 3 Gun range- all matches are still on, just had one yesterday, and the next 2 Saturdays

As to the original question, not much difference in skill, probably hurt the turn out for this year, and into the next.

Edited by toothandnail

The current COVID-19 lock down situation will promote whatever tendencies competition shooters had before this all started. Slackers will continue to slack and motivated people will continue to be motivated. There will be plenty of people that will try to use this situation as a catalyst to change their habits or behaviors, but I highly doubt that much of it will stick once the COVID-19 restrictions blow over. To me this is very similar to how people dream up a bunch of new years resolutions to change their ways and then abandon it after not much effort.

For all of the competition shooters who are using this situation to try to ramp up their training, go for it. But also keep it balanced with everything else you do in life or you will drop it like a hot potato once we get back to normal.

For me, this COVID-19 thing really hasn't changed my general participation level. I am doing more live fire practice since local and major matches have been cancelled. So the balance of live fire practice to match attendance has obviously changed. But I wouldn't say that change has changed my overall general participation level. The way I see it, I need to stay engaged and keep working on optimizing my skills regardless of what is going on outside of my control.

It will be interesting to see the mix of how people come back to matches after this COVID-19 situation. My bet is that there will be more shooters that let everything slide during this down time vs the ones who kept at it to remain sharp. 

For me, this time has been very beneficial. Since I'm now working from home I don't have to cram my dry fire in all at once in the evening after the kids are in bed, I can break it up in random 15 minutes sessions during the day. I'm finding this is definitely more productive and I can stay focused on certain areas better. 

21 hours ago, Limitless13 said:

For me, this time has been very beneficial. Since I'm now working from home I don't have to cram my dry fire in all at once in the evening after the kids are in bed, I can break it up in random 15 minutes sessions during the day. I'm finding this is definitely more productive and I can stay focused on certain areas better. 

I am in the same boat, I have been running dry fire drills more frequently through the day.

• 1 month later...

Anyone back to shooting? We started back up the 26th of May. Had our first match over the weekend. 

My observations: 

I improved, and I am happy with that. I am starting to shoot larger field courses at about 7 HF (L and CO). I had some issues with recoil control, but worked those out quickly. I think couple month of extensive dry-fire helped me up my game. Its great to be shooting again, and chasing the Zen of it all.

Other shooters: I don't think the bulk of shooters did any practice during the shut downs. The top performers, stayed on top and improved. Only had 1 DQ for 50 shooters, so safety has not degraded.

Edited by Gene_WI

Nothing match related up here in Ontario until July1.  Supposedly IPSC Canadian Nationals is being moved to a later date (it's local(ish)  Not shooting it anyway.  Provincials got cancelled.

We are practicing twice a week, our range is now super quiet so never an issue getting an action/holster bay.