Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Tactical 2011 vs Staccato

KevH

I figured I would ask here since there seems to be more 2011's being run longer than the average forum. 

I am a police officer and have run a single-stack customized 1911 in 45 ACP for a little over. a decade. I want to transition to a 2011 and mount a Trijicon RMR on it. 

I keep hearing (from some notable persons) that the newer Staccato line is made better than the older "Tactical" series. The problem is the Staccato isn't offered in 45 ACP, which I prefer. 

Is there any truth in this from those of you that are long time STI users? Would I be find with a 5.0 Tactical in 45 ACP if I have the slide milled to fit the optic? 

I've carried a Tactical 5.0 in 9mm for a while now. I've also worked on a handful of Tactical models, and Staccato Ps, and feel like I can speak with some authority on it.

Overall, the Staccato is a slightly better gun, but it's still an STI at the end of the day. I've had to fix extractor tension and feed lip dimensions on a few. One of the guns I handled straight up came with the wrong front sight and the officer chose to send it back to STI. 

The finish on the Staccato is definitely better. My Tactical 5.0 shows a decent amount of wear on it. The Staccato has a much more durable finish.

The Staccato has deeper and more aggressive slide serrations. The sights are also better (factory fiber optic w/ adjustable rears)

I'm really not a fan of the Gen 2 grip on the Staccato, it has very little friction and it would be difficult to put grip tape over it.

Internals/trigger pull feels pretty much the same on both. Both could use a good polish. 

The Gen 2 magazines included with the Staccato are far superior, Gen 1 mags that come with the Tactical models are meh.

Both will fit the Safariland 6360 series of holsters made for the Springfield Operator 1911. 

I hope this was somewhat helpful for you. If you have any specific questions you can reach out to me via message. 

w1ClKu7.jpg

ZdsNzWE.jpg
Edited by Avedis

not a gunsmith and haven't handled a staccato, but i have their dvc, tactical, edge, steelmaster and eagle models and frankly they're pretty much the same as far as internals, frame tolerances, triggers and the like.  it's not like one model is a dud and another is awesome, and you can switch out internals to meet your preferences (for example, where i didn't have dawson or brazos work on the trigger via their supertune or hp packages, i dropped in the brazos trigger kits).  i love all of them and use all of them in various competitions.

Just want to chime in with a little information. I’m not saying this to start a “back and forth of drama”...but...many reputable 2011 gunsmiths have noted that the .45acp round is not as reliable in the 2011 platform due to the increased surface area contact between the 1) rounds themselves and 2) the walls of the magazines causing drag and slow feeding and feeding problems. This is in comparison to a Single Stack magazine. I’ve owned a number of the STI Tactical models in all three calibers and experienced this issue specifically in the ones chambered in .45. All other things being equal in terms of tuning within the various guns and calibers, the only remedy was to use really stout magazine springs. Even then, reliability wasn’t as good as .40 or 9mm in exact same model guns. Sorry to throw this out there, but figured you’d want as much data as possible. 

YMMV

On 3/19/2020 at 3:47 PM, KevH said:

I figured I would ask here since there seems to be more 2011's being run longer than the average forum. 

I am a police officer and have run a single-stack customized 1911 in 45 ACP for a little over. a decade. I want to transition to a 2011 and mount a Trijicon RMR on it. 

I keep hearing (from some notable persons) that the newer Staccato line is made better than the older "Tactical" series. The problem is the Staccato isn't offered in 45 ACP, which I prefer. 

Is there any truth in this from those of you that are long time STI users? Would I be find with a 5.0 Tactical in 45 ACP if I have the slide milled to fit the optic? 

So STI was “recently” bought out and changed hands. I think this started in 2018, saw a lot of movement in 2019, and is full blown new way of working in 2020. 

The new group is all prior service dudes who wanna make tactical guns kick butt again. They improved QC, improved parts (all parts of tool steel now from what I understand), and improved models to make ideal “duty” guns. This is good for the “Tac” world, as we now are getting 2011s that are good to go out of the box for duty guns. Every staccato I have held (4 now) have been properly fit with good extractors. 

I had a DVC 3 gun, DVC limited, Tactical 5.0, and a tactical 4.0 before this new take over. All the guns were good, but each had little issues I had to correct (or extractor tension incorrect, grip too tight, beaver tail fitted poorly, safety digs into hand, etc).

I’ve been very impressed with the new staccatos and just got a staccato C2 for my new carry gun. I’ve personally always thought that CCO style guns were the best, and this C2 is almost perfect. Wish it were a 4.25 slide, but I’m happy with it. Shoots nice and flat and is very light. 

Let me know if you have any questions. I’ve been trying to get STI’s approved for duty at our department and have been involved in conversations about it with Hilton Yam and Buck Pierson. These new STI’s are honestly great. I really like them and plan to buy more. 

2 hours ago, Mike21STI said:

For the money that STI is charging for a production gun nowadays, I would spend a couple hundred more and have one of the reputable builders build one to my specs.  

Their "production" guns start at 1900, so good luck on buying a custom pistol for $2100 that runs like these pistols do.......

11 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Their "production" guns start at 1900, so good luck on buying a custom pistol for $2100 that runs like these pistols do.......

11 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I was assuming he was referring to the xc or the xl model.  If I was comparing those, I would spend a bit more and get one built. 

I thought the P was a bit more expensive, so I stand corrected from that perspective.  

1 hour ago, Mike21STI said:

I was assuming he was referring to the xc or the xl model.  If I was comparing those, I would spend a bit more and get one built. 

I thought the P was a bit more expensive, so I stand corrected from that perspective.  

You can certainly spend more than $1900 if you get the DUO, XC or XL.  I don't have the prices memorized, but I think the XC is like $3500 or so.

• 1 year later...

I’m also wanting a 2011 in 9mm. I’ve been looking hard at the staccato p or p duo. I like the idea of being able to put on a red dot later on if I choose too. I’ve thought of building my own also or looking for an older sti edge but it seems hard to beat a staccato for the money 

Personally, I would not risk buying a 2011 in .45.  Find a used 2011 on here in 9mm or buy a new Staccato.  You don't have to spend 3500+ bucks to get an accurate/reliable widebody 1911.  We all do it on a regular basis, but you don't have to.....

1.  I agree with cheers, my .45 shoots great but is finicky as to bullet shape, OAL, and needs Just Right magazine lips and stout springs.  I just recently caught on and put new springs in my older magazines and improved operation considerably.  We will see if it is improved enough come Wednesday.

2.  I wonder what the OP has been carrying the past near two years.

18 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Doubt he wants to spend $6k+ on a service weapon.

Depending on how he built it it would come in considerably less than that.  Other people are recommending guns just as expensive. (Like the Staccato XC).

If you forego the fancy coatings any sight tracker build should be in the mid 4000s.

Edited by FALAR

17 hours ago, FALAR said:

Depending on how he built it it would come in considerably less than that.  Other people are recommending guns just as expensive. (Like the Staccato XC).

If you forego the fancy coatings any sight tracker build should be in the mid 4000s.

I seriously doubt that.  I ordered a very basic limited gun with standard barrel (non sight tracker), fixed sights, single side safety, no fancy cuts or anything unusual.  About as plain as you can get.  Cost me $6500.  Not sure what you could change or delete to get the price down from there.  And certainly not down to $4k.   [deleted] And personally, I wouldn't carry [a STI] as a duty weapon if they gave it to me for free.

I also have 2 SVIs on order, both sight trackers with nothing flashy and paid mid 5s.  I was told if I went with bluing vs the fancy coatings I would have saved 7 or 800.

Single side safety, iron sights, more traditional serrations, rail, full dust cover, etc.

I hear you on the Staccatos, was referencing them for price only because clearly in that range just get an SVI.

Edited by FALAR

13 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

I seriously doubt that.  I ordered a very basic limited gun with standard barrel (non sight tracker), fixed sights, single side safety, no fancy cuts or anything unusual.  About as plain as you can get.  Cost me $6500.  Not sure what you could change or delete to get the price down from there.  And certainly not down to $4k.    [deleted] And personally, I wouldn't carry one of their [STI] guns as a duty weapon if they gave it to me for free.

You have your opinion.  I have the experience.  There are dozens of Texas Rangers carrying Staccato pistols these days with no complaints.  I would know if they had complaints because I put the group purchase together.  The pistols run.  The only complaint I heard about was magazine over insertion issues.  And there are many more agencies happily carrying them including the US Marshals SOG.  So, while you might not carry one if you were a cop, a lot of real cops do carry them.  

Edited by shred
industry hate