Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ratchet belt USPSA legal??


VU2AKILL
 Share

Recommended Posts

I recently switched to a ratcheting gun belt and am really liking it.  I am headed to an Area match this year and want to make sure i am legal with this belt.  I have read the below rule from USPSA and i believe that the ratchet tightened down constitutes being fixed at the waist.  Thoughts??

image.png.19bad284c41a2b834f5732ce2b2077df.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Sarge said:

It’s legal. Just don’t use it to extend a belt you have grown out of like I typically see! It just makes you look fatter😂

Ha ha.   Not fatter!!  Started using it for 3 gun so accessories came on and off easier.   Just kind of like the system. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, SteelCityShooter said:

Can the outer belt be fastened to the inner belt using "keepers" rather than velcro?  Is there a minimum number required?

Belt just needs to be securely attached at the waist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aaaanndd, we have another difference between IPSC and USPSA.

 

IPSC Rule is:

5.2.3 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, the belt carrying the holster and all allied equipment must be worn at waist level. The belt or the inner belt or both must be either permanently sewn at the waist, or secured with a minimum of three belt loops attached to shorts or trousers.


5.2.3.1 Female competitors in all Divisions are subject to the same conditions as above, except that the belt carrying the holster and all allied equipment may be worn at hip level. If another belt is worn at waist level, the holster and all allied equipment must be placed on the lower belt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, perttime said:

Aaaanndd, we have another difference between IPSC and USPSA.

 

IPSC Rule is:

5.2.3 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, the belt carrying the holster and all allied equipment must be worn at waist level. The belt or the inner belt or both must be either permanently sewn at the waist, or secured with a minimum of three belt loops attached to shorts or trousers.


5.2.3.1 Female competitors in all Divisions are subject to the same conditions as above, except that the belt carrying the holster and all allied equipment may be worn at hip level. If another belt is worn at waist level, the holster and all allied equipment must be placed on the lower belt.

Interesting.  I wonder why the difference.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, perttime said:

I think the USPSA wording is more open to interpretation: what exactly constitutes "securely fixed".

 

 

the definition I have been given by several RMI is can they draw the gun without the belt being pulled up their torso, or the rig twisting around them as they move (think holster moving from 3:00 to 1:00) Basically is it acting as you would expect a gun belt to? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, perttime said:

I think the USPSA wording is more open to interpretation: what exactly constitutes "securely fixed".

 

Some do go to IPSC practice (definitely not matches) in cold weather, so that they cinch the belt over a warm coat.

 

Can you draw your gun and mags without the belt moving? Can you run without it falling off? Then it's fine. 

Edited by waktasz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

the definition I have been given by several RMI is can they draw the gun without the belt being pulled up their torso, or the rig twisting around them as they move (think holster moving from 3:00 to 1:00) Basically is it acting as you would expect a gun belt to? 

 

(Range Lawyer hat ON)

A RO cannot interpret rules: only apply them. A Range Master might have to make a call when the RO cannot make a rule work. That RM call isnt a universal Interpretation. If you need a universal Interpretation, it surely needs to come from the highest level (IPSC Executive Council in IPSC, not sure who can do it in USPSA).

(Range Lawyer hat OFF)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In ipsc we cannot put or cinch our comp belts over a coat

7 hours ago, perttime said:

I think the USPSA wording is more open to interpretation: what exactly constitutes "securely fixed".

 

Some do go to IPSC practice (definitely not matches) in cold weather, so that they cinch the belt over a warm coat.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, perttime said:

Not for competition, as I wrote. Sometimes it is the practical thing for cold weather practice outdoors.

I saw that. But whats the point practicing w/ a set up if I could not use it in matches. Just my take. Ive never shot in cold weather. But i do my best to practice in match set up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

I saw that. But whats the point practicing w/ a set up if I could not use it in matches. Just my take. Ive never shot in cold weather. But i do my best to practice in match set up. 

With the belt over a coat, you get to shoot outdoors. There aren't any indoor ranges in nearby towns, now, where you can shoot a centerfire firearm.

 

Today, it wasn't actually all that cold: about 0 Celsius around mid day. I was OK with a heavy sweater tucked into my pants, for a while. I put a coat on while picking up brass and loading magazines. Some others just had a belt over the coat, for convenience. Their holsters and magazines were close enough to what they'd have in an IPSC competition-legal setup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, perttime said:

With the belt over a coat, you get to shoot outdoors. There aren't any indoor ranges in nearby towns, now, where you can shoot a centerfire firearm.

 

Today, it wasn't actually all that cold: about 0 Celsius around mid day. I was OK with a heavy sweater tucked into my pants, for a while. I put a coat on while picking up brass and loading magazines. Some others just had a belt over the coat, for convenience. Their holsters and magazines were close enough to what they'd have in an IPSC competition-legal setup.


thank you for being so accommodating to my inconsiderate opinion. As said, i have not shot in cold temp. as Im not in US. I see your point. Im sorry. 

Back to topic. I use m2 ratchet buckles in my belts. One for hg and another for pcc com sg. I order outer belts just long enough that it does not have overlaps. Ratchet buckles are really great. Cinching outer belts just enough it wont budge but comfy even in whole day matches. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...