Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 - Can't load while not cocked?

1301Dan

Hey guys,

I just got a Beretta 1301.

When I try to load the magazine WITHOUT the gun being cocked (holding down the side lever), the shell won't go entirely in the magazine. It jams about 3/4 the way in no matter how much I try to force it into the magazine.

(see attached picture)

The shells go in fine when I repeat the same procedure while the gun is cocked.

Is it not possible to load the magazine without cocking the gun? This seems like a massive safety issue to me... have to pull the trigger of a gun to neutralize it (while shells are in the mag). 

What I'd like to do is have the mag loaded with one in the carrier, without having to pull the trigger of a loaded gun in order to get the first round to drop down to the magazine.

Is this normal? 

Thank you!

GunJam.jpg

You don't need to pull the trigger to get one out of the mag & on to the lifter 

- Start with an empty gun

- Press the bolt relase

- Load shells into tube

- Press little silver button at the back of the lifter (instead of pulling the trigger)

Alternatively, you may be able to ghost load one on to the lifter after loading the mag by pulling back on the bolt enough to load a shell onto the lifter through the ejection port. Depends which model gun & lifter you have 

Edited by stumpyv8
Spellin

10 minutes ago, stumpyv8 said:

You don't need to pull the trigger to get one out of the mag & on to the lifter 

- Start with an empty gun

- Press the bolt relase

- Load shells into tube

- Press little silver button at the back of the lifter (instead of pulling the trigger)

Alternatively, you may be able to ghost load one on to the lifter after loading the mag by pulling back on the bolt enough to load a shell onto the lifter through the ejection port. Depends which model gun & lifter you have 

Thanks for replying Stumpy.

The problem is the bolded section of the comment. It appears that something is getting caught up on the first round going in. If you see the picture above, it's getting caught and won't go fully in the mag cylinder when the gun is not cocked. 

Edited by 1301Dan

No worries

I'm unsure what you mean by "not cocked". I've just checked mine & if the hammer is forward, the lifter is locked in the down position making it impossible to put any shells into the mag tube.

Is it only the 1st shell that's hanging up?

3 hours ago, stumpyv8 said:

No worries

I'm unsure what you mean by "not cocked". I've just checked mine & if the hammer is forward, the lifter is locked in the down position making it impossible to put any shells into the mag tube.

Is it only the 1st shell that's hanging up?

By not cocked, i mean not live. The receiver mechanism is inert. Yes, the hang up is only on the first shell. The 2nd shell, 3rd, 4th, 5th all go in fine.

It only seems to happen on the first shell. 

Thank you!

Edited by 1301Dan

Thanks for the explanation. I'm still not getting it though. I think you're saying the bolt is forward on an empty chamber.

Going back to your picture, is the shell catch holding the shell? It looks like the shell is being held by the lifter. 

Which model of 1301 is it? By the lifter & sthe serial number position I'm guessing its a mk1? If so, is that an A400 or 1301 Pro bolt release button? Hard to see from the pic but it doesn't look like the original. 

Also, in your original message you mention "holding down the lever". Does that mean you keep the bolt release depressed while loading?

Sorry if I'm coming across as a bit stupid, just making sure we diagnose the problem & rectify it for you 👍

Are you continuing to press the bolt release while you insert a shell into the magazine tube? If so you are also pressing the shell latch against the shell that is being inserted causing it to hang as you noted.

There is no need to have to "uncock" the gun before loading. Cycle the bolt to cock the hammer, engage the safety, load the magazine tube. Now press the shell release button (rectangular tab near the rear/center of the loading port which will eject a round from the magazine tube onto the lifter. You can cycle the bolt to put that round into the chamber when you are ready.