Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short stroking?

Timido

What causes short stroking the trigger and how do you correct it.  Is it user error or is there some tuning involved In fixing it.  So far so good with my 929.  Performed Jerry's trigger job video with Apex hammer with the heavier rebound spring.  Stock bent hammer spring.   Runs my Winchester primer minor loads good at 7lb trigger pull.

If your rebound spring is too light you may be trying to run the trigger faster then the gun has a chance to reset the hammer.  Light actions take a lot of practice.  Don't be afraid to slow down a bit until you know you are releasing the trigger completely.  Make sure you stroke it all the way back and then forward even if you take your finger off the trigger.  A slightly heavier rebound spring may solve your problem but dry fire will do wonders for you.

I mean lots of dry fires.  Upwards of over 1000.  It takes about 5000 times of doing something right for it to be locked into your memory.  

If your coming from autos it can be hard to learn to release the trigger all the way when your trying to go fast, as mentioned above a heavier rebound spring can help.

I assume you meant lighter rebound spring? 

When I do a trigger job I like a pretty snappy reset, I want it to feel like the trigger is pushing my finger forward not the trigger is following my finger forward. To get that feel the reset pressure needs to be a large enough fraction of the total pull weight that the balance between the two feels right, I don't have any numbers to work from (I really should figure that out and write it down) but basically the heavier the over all pull the heavier the reset I want and vice versa. 

2 hours ago, AzShooter said:

If your rebound spring is too light you may be trying to run the trigger faster then the gun has a chance to reset the hammer.  Light actions take a lot of practice.  Don't be afraid to slow down a bit until you know you are releasing the trigger completely.  Make sure you stroke it all the way back and then forward even if you take your finger off the trigger.  A slightly heavier rebound spring may solve your problem but dry fire will do wonders for you.

I mean lots of dry fires.  Upwards of over 1000.  It takes about 5000 times of doing something right for it to be locked into your memory.  

I will start doing more dry and live fire then.   I am more used to auto loaders .   I've been shooting Carry Optics PCC and now Open.    The trigger is night and day better than stock and I am trying to out run .  

6 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

If your coming from autos it can be hard to learn to release the trigger all the way when your trying to go fast, as mentioned above a heavier rebound spring can help.

I assume you meant lighter rebound spring? 

When I do a trigger job I like a pretty snappy reset, I want it to feel like the trigger is pushing my finger forward not the trigger is following my finger forward. To get that feel the reset pressure needs to be a large enough fraction of the total pull weight that the balance between the two feels right, I don't have any numbers to work from (I really should figure that out and write it down) but basically the heavier the over all pull the heavier the reset I want and vice versa. 

I will see if the rebound spring is pushing my finger forward.  Good advice

Might want to lay in a stock of extended firing pins before you start those thousand dry fires. 929s have a nasty habit of breaking pins. Even running snap caps.

I was told by my gunsmith that he has 2 customers that can't shoot a full match without breaking one.

Mine was at around 1K rounds per pin (all live fire) before I found what seems to be a workable solution (in my gun).

Or just remove the pin 1st. That's what I did. Until I set up another gun the same to use for dry fire only.

FWIW. YMMV.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Phil said:

Might want to lay in a stock of extended firing pins before you start those thousand dry fires. 929s have a nasty habit of breaking pins. Even running snap caps.

I was told by my gunsmith that he has 2 customers that can't shoot a full match without breaking one.

Mine was at around 1K rounds per pin (all live fire) before I found what seems to be a workable solution (in my gun).

Or just remove the pin 1st. That's what I did. Until I set up another gun the same to use for dry fire only.

FWIW. YMMV.

I would go back to stock firing pins before I lived with that kind of failure rate. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Phil said:

FWIW. YMMV.

Not sure how a 929 is harder on firing pins than any other gun out there. What pins are you using?

I have broken (and returned) Apex, C&S and 1 other I can't remember the name of right now.

BTW all the places I have been in contact with say the same thing, "Never dry fire the 929 because of breakage".

I am currently running a C&S - since mid August - and it's still running.

Glad it works. That's the longest one  I think. But again, I don't dry fire it...

While not what the OP is asking, but as far as firing pins go - I've never broken an apex pin. Ever. Thats with ALOT of rounds down range, and alot of dry firing.

I have however broken every C&S pin i've ever owned. 

I broke an Apex pin dryfiring.  It was a special run of pins that the smith liked, the head of the pin was like a rivet head and the head broke off and worked it's way down jamming the trigger.

During dryfire.

Thankfully

Agree with all the above. Heavier spring rebound, more dry fire, however after 3 years I'm only in my second firing pin, broke the stock one early on, currently have a cylinder slide one, and I keep a new Apex one in the range bad just in case. If I had to guess I'm probably around 5k round total in the gun since new, I don't run it year round.

Jason

Wow...You guys sure don't shoot a lot. My 929 had well over 20,000 rounds with an Apex Firing Pin and no problems.  I sold it and the new owner is still going strong with it.

I was shooting in excess of 600 rounds a week.  Yeah, reloading was the only way I could afford it but being retired , shooting is one of the only activities I can do and enjoy.  It's money I would only waste on women and booze.

9 hours ago, AzShooter said:

I was shooting in excess of 600 rounds a week.  Yeah, reloading was the only way I could afford it but being retired , shooting is one of the only activities I can do and enjoy.  It's money I would only waste on women and booze.

Well, I mean, if it puts a smile on your face I don't know that I'd call it a waste. Just sayin'.