Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
anonymouscuban

Shooting FMJ | Will it remove lead fouling?

Will shooting FMJ bullets remove lead fouling from a barrel?

I've been shooting coated lead bullets for a while. I got lead fouling. I remove it periodically with a copper scouring pad. I'm just about done with all the coated bullets and will be switching back to FMJ.

Considering the jacket is made of copper, my thought is that running them through the barrel will remove the fouling the same way as the scouring pad.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

For the most part yes it will. You might notice some deep in the grooves between the rifling that even shooting a fair amount of FMJ will probably never get out though.

Keep in mind, most FMJ bullets have an exposed lead base.  I prefer JHP with enclosed base.

3 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Keep in mind, most FMJ bullets have an exposed lead base.  I prefer JHP with enclosed base.

This. Also when I shoot roundnose bullets I use Montana Gold CMJ bullets. They are FMJ’s with a copper plate on the base so no exposed lead

Yes they will for the most part.   In fact , Adam over at Atlas proposes you do not clean your barrel, but shoot a few jacketed after every coated practice session instead.   

I've had Blue Bullets scrub my barrel very clean after I got leading with SNS bullets, but I haven't tried them to clean up heavy lead. 

I've had Blue Bullets scrub my barrel very clean after I got leading with SNS bullets, but I haven't tried them to clean up heavy lead. 

Blue bullets scrape out the lead pretty well out of my pistols as well.

On 3/19/2020 at 12:09 AM, anonymouscuban said:

I've been shooting coated lead bullets for a while. I got lead fouling.

Really, what brand? Reason I ask is that I shoot Ibejiheads coated bullets, using Titegroup powder, and my barrels are spotless. I have never seen lead buildup in them.

I do coat the inside of my barrels with a light coating of Mobil 1 oil, which I believe helps keep leading down. But it's also the brand of bullets used. Some coated bullets do leave a lot of leading. But my experience with Ibejiheads has been fantastic.

On 3/18/2020 at 11:09 PM, anonymouscuban said:

Will shooting FMJ bullets remove lead fouling from a barrel?

I've been shooting coated lead bullets for a while. I got lead fouling. I remove it periodically with a copper scouring pad. I'm just about done with all the coated bullets and will be switching back to FMJ.

It is NOT advised. 

Allan Jones says it can damage the barrel.    https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/ammunition_st_lowdownleadfoul_201002/99962

Really, what brand? Reason I ask is that I shoot Ibejiheads coated bullets, using Titegroup powder, and my barrels are spotless. I have never seen lead buildup in them.
I do coat the inside of my barrels with a light coating of Mobil 1 oil, which I believe helps keep leading down. But it's also the brand of bullets used. Some coated bullets do leave a lot of leading. But my experience with Ibejiheads has been fantastic.
Brazos. I've shot about 10k. The 1st batch, about 4k ran clean. No leading. The 2nd batch I've had leading issues from the start. My reloading process didn't change. Same powder. Same load. Same gun. Don't know what happened.

I guess I will have to clean remove all the leading from the barrel before I start shooting the FMJs. Was hoping I wouldn't have to. Oh well.

2 hours ago, anonymouscuban said:

Brazos. I've shot about 10k. The 1st batch, about 4k ran clean. No leading. The 2nd batch I've had leading issues from the start. My reloading process didn't change. Same powder. Same load. Same gun. Don't know what happened.

I guess I will have to clean remove all the leading from the barrel before I start shooting the FMJs. Was hoping I wouldn't have to. Oh well.

The Chore Boy copper scrubs work fairly efficiently.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/6/26/how-to-clean-tough-lead-deposits-from-your-barrel

Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2020 at 8:36 PM, superdude said:

It is NOT advised. 

Allan Jones says it can damage the barrel.    https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/ammunition_st_lowdownleadfoul_201002/99962

That's if you have a bunch of lead buildup at the chamber end of the barrel.  On semi autos it's at the muzzle end and not enough to cause the problems he's discussing in the article.  

11 hours ago, ExStreetWalker said:

http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

Much better than a copper choreboy.

You really want to scrub your barrel with a pad made of stainless steel and nickel-based alloy?  I'll pass on that.

On the OP's question, running FMJ bullets will remove some of the lead, but not the the stuff that's deep in the grooves.  The absolute, hands-down best cleaner for removing lead, was Outers Foul Out.  You could scrub a barrel until it looked 100% squeaky clean, and put it in the Foul Out, and you'd still have a bunch of lead and other crap on the rod.  I think they stopped making it because of the chemicals, but there are articles online showing how to make your own and what chemicals to use.

Edited by ltdmstr
typo

Hey guys. Wanted to share a concoction I discovered on the interweb that I had never heard or read about.

50% Hydrogen Peroxide & White Vinegar

Drop barrel inside this mixture and wait 2-3 minutes. Removes all lead deposits. You will see the bubbling action as it works. I guess it reacts with the lead and pulls it into solution.

Take a lot of care when handling the left over since the solution now contains lead in it.

Worked like a charm. Zero lead in my barrel now. Nothing. Not even in the deep groves.

Please don't give up on Coated. I hate to see newer reloaders go that route after trying one and only one bullet manufacturers. Their lead is soft, it's documented. Try one of the "big" names and see if your results improve. My guess is they will.

Please don't give up on Coated. I hate to see newer reloaders go that route after trying one and only one bullet manufacturers. Their lead is soft, it's documented. Try one of the "big" names and see if your results improve. My guess is they will.
I tried other coated bullets with success. DG, Blue, BBI and one other I don't remember. I didn't have any leading. I also didn't have leading with Brazos for a long while. It started with my last order.

The price of RMR FMJs are just to low to justify running coated bullets. That said, let's see what their price increase is. I may go back to coated depending on where they end up.

If I do go back, it will be to Blue Bullets.

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2020 at 11:38 PM, ltdmstr said:

That's if you have a bunch of lead buildup at the chamber end of the barrel.  On semi autos it's at the muzzle end and not enough to cause the problems he's discussing in the article.  

I would not be too quick to say that about all semi-autos.  The picture below is from shooting lead in a Glock G19 barrel. It has lead buildup for the whole length, but it looks like heavier buildup at the chamber end. In my limited experience, buildup is only limited by the number of rounds fired. 

271807954_leadinGlockbarrel.jpg.c429fdcc40fe6af6867ea0383cefcdee.jpg

In this picture from a 1911 barrel, leading starts about 1/2" from the chamber and does not appear heavier at the muzzle.

1500069144_leadin1911barrel.jpg.306d80e85b32e65216601964e67da215.jpg

Edited by superdude

Yeah, you have a point.  I guess with enough rounds and no cleaning, that's possible.  I kinda assumed regular maintenance.