Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To keep the Forums alive - change coming to Classifieds - Poll added, please vote!

benos

What would the membership prefer?  

401 members have voted

1. 1. Which would the membership prefer?

• Banner ads
    • Yearly membership fee
    • Subscription to classifieds ($15 per month)

15 hours ago, Absocold said:

http://dfghosting.com/ipb-hosting/

https://www.a2hosting.com/ipb-hosting

A quick search for hosts with good service and reviews turned up these two examples. Both will install the board at the new host and migrate the database (all the posts and member stuff) from old site to new site - turnkey solution with no effort on your part. Both offer automatic daily backups, automatic board upgrades, automatic bug fixes, and free support if there's a problem. Both are under $20 a month. Yearly domain and hosting cost is less than one month of hosting with your current provider. For what you're paying them, it's no wonder they bend over backwards, but they should also be coming over and mowing your lawn, washing your car and doing your taxes.

It's better to try a new place and see if it works out than just give up and turn the lights off.

That's HUGE - thanks for that. I'm on it.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, benos said:

http://dfghosting.com/ipb-hosting/

https://www.a2hosting.com/ipb-hosting

On those, a member PM'd me that those are good for someone brand new, but not for an active established site.

And this particular member has a massive amount of experience with creating and hosting multiple forums.

49 minutes ago, benos said:

That's HUGE - thanks for that. I'm on it.

Just to clarify a bit here... 

ENOS is a very active site with many concurrent connections, needing more resources... Typically with a larger community, many of the smaller companies will kick off the larger sites or really ask for much more money.  There are a few other challenges I have there but a different discussion.

The forum hosting sites are great for someone who cannot pay the software licensing fees (Around $200 per year) and does not have the ability to administer the server themselves. 

The forum is currently hosted on an all inclusive package on Invision's servers and why the site is sooo snappy and responsive. BUT... it costs $$$ and why Brian is asking community members to pitch in/step up. 

I’d do $10-20 a year in order to be able to access the classifieds, and to delete the banner ads that everyone who elects to browse for free will be seeing.

(I voted banner ads, btw.)

I’ve been negligent in kick Brian some money for the sales and purchases I’ve done well on, recently. Sending him a few $$$ shortly. ;) 

I've been a lurker/member for 9 years in total, and this website is invaluable with information. I would definitely be willing to pay $5-$10 a year membership to the site. As a just graduated mechanical engineer who's hobbies are guns and machining on them, I'm trying to soak up as many tips and tricks I can. There is so much information to sift through, it would be a huge loss if this forum went down. I don't really care for seeing ads all the time, but if that is what it takes to keep the forum running, so be it.

I've been a moderator on a few sites that have gone through this exact situation. I've been a members on many more that had to do something. 

Forums that charge fees die. It eventually happens to all of them.

Banner ads are the only solution I have ever seen work.

There are hundreds if not thousands of people here that lurk....then comment here and there....then contribute. Forums are a community. Without new members, communities die. Period. 

A member is going to help me with banner ads, and we are talking about a few other options. 

After that, I'm not going to charge any yearly membership fee to view or post. 

I am still considering charging $5/month (not $15/month) to sell in the Classifieds.

On 3/25/2020 at 3:24 PM, Maksim said:

Just to clarify a bit here... 

ENOS is a very active site with many concurrent connections, needing more resources... Typically with a larger community, many of the smaller companies will kick off the larger sites or really ask for much more money.  There are a few other challenges I have there but a different discussion.

The forum hosting sites are great for someone who cannot pay the software licensing fees (Around $200 per year) and does not have the ability to administer the server themselves. 

The forum is currently hosted on an all inclusive package on Invision's servers and why the site is sooo snappy and responsive. BUT... it costs $$$ and why Brian is asking community members to pitch in/step up. 

MAKSIM IN DA HOUSE! 

I would be just fine with a yearly fee. I have been reading here since 2002. Learned lots of things and met some great people. Haven't posted anything because everyone here knows more than me. 

This isn't the place to be complaining about forum mods or their work. Every forum has its own style. Some are so rabidly pro-freedom and anti-censorship they're almost anarchy's, some refuse to tolerate anything more than good-natured ribbing. The owner must be happy with the way things are here or he'd change it, so good luck complaining. If you think he doesn't know what's going on, message him about it. Griping about the forum team, in a thread about saving the forums, is not a great idea and I'm not surprised they're getting stomped on.

Been on here 16 years this September and have purchased a press and items from Brian over the years. I do a good bit of competitive training for beginning shooters and will mention several times during a class about this forum for the amount and wealth of information here. Have always enjoyed reading about a shooters journey from the beginning to end and have really enjoyed every post.

Things change and life goes on,but I would pay a yearly fee to keep this going. If Brian does change to a different server or platform, please make sorta like other social media styles where we can “ like” or dislike a post ..Many thanks for shooters and vendors.

• 2 months later...

I have decided to keep the Forums up for at least another year, after the upcoming August 1.

I had a  Member who was going to help with the banner ads / Classifieds fees, and a few other monetizing idea... but he seems to have dropped the ball on me. So I will work on it as motivation permits.

• 9 months later...
On 3/18/2020 at 5:14 PM, louu said:

I really don't know why you don't just sell banner ads and have options for paid premium members like every other forum in the world. They all actually make money every month and is still free for most. I actually like the banner ads and sometimes buy stuff from them. 

I agree with this idea. 

• 2 weeks later...