Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good 320 replacement these days?

Avenida

Been browsing old threads from 10 years ago, to other close to 4-5 years ago but there was not anything in the last year.

I have seen a lot of recommendations for Titegroup which is probably one of the worst powders as it runs very hot, not very stable and quite dirty as well....

So... hoping for some recommendations current to 2020 and see if we are still running 320 or there is perhaps something that comes closer and it is just as good and also costs less...

lol. Anyway. Thanks!

E3 for sure. That's what I've been using for 3 or 4 years for 40 major.

A few years before that I found during load testing 40 major loads that CFE Pistol and N320 were indistinguishable for accuracy and felt recoil in that particular gun. So I shot CFE pistol for a couple years before shifting to E3.

I need to replace 320 to work up a .40SW major load.

320 is hard to find and costs twice as much.. There gotta be something else that is just as good.

I think I can find E3 (nationally) but I am not sold on it since it is a shotshell powder... I need to do some research

2 hours ago, doane said:

I'm fairly new to reloading but I've been pleased with HP-38, which isn't far from N320 on the burn rate chart.

:) you got it, it is very popular or it was. There are better choices now. It is 231 rebranded. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2020 at 10:57 AM, Avenida said:

10K with no cleaning... lol I think you are good.

I can see E3 is designed for shotgun, so how about PSI issues with this powder... 

All pistol powder is shotgun powder. E3 is excellent and since it is so fast it isn't very popular. You can pretty much find it any time. 

On 3/18/2020 at 6:25 AM, Avenida said:

Any signs of over pressure with either one?

also, who makes these?

I am in Canada so availability is somewhat limited.

thank you

I switched from 320 to “Sport Pistol” powder. 

I’m in Canada also, I get it from Budget Shooter Supply.  

• 2 months later...

Ramshot Competition.... switched to it from 320 umpteen yrs ago for 40min and 45maj..... gggreat SD and ES numbers.  Clean mild and much less $$.   Now ill confess to not buying either in Umpteen yrs   and still have both jugs today.  Just saying RS Comp Works.    Not in 9mm though... high pressure signs    I have No idea where prices are today

H

• 2 weeks later...

Ramshot Competition is an equivalent i have tested over the years.

Same load data, same performance for both 9mm minor and 40 cal Major.

• 4 weeks later...