Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

to buffer or not to buffer, that is the question

Avenida

You talked to the factories and they say no.

Lots of people swear by them and say it add longevity to the pistol.

It takes stroke away, it reduces impact of metal parts, it is useless, it is a gimmick, it feels weird, it feels great, blah blah.

At the end? who is right?

Besides all anecdotal information, what is you first hand experience.

I have used them, but only the aluminum ones.

I cant say I noticed much difference in operation.

There was barely any Mark's on them, so I determined my gun wasnt getting beat up .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, yigal said:

25 y. ago I was part of a team sponsored  by a gun manufacturer. I was the only one who used the buffers that i made  and the slide never broke and everything else of the team would break.

I remember reading your story in another thread. Thank you for posting.

I guess that based on this you would recommend a buffer regardless of recoil spring?

29 minutes ago, Avenida said:

I remember reading your story in another thread. Thank you for posting.

I guess that based on this you would recommend a buffer regardless of recoil spring?

You have to constantly check them and replace them in time, otherwise there will be problems

Its all about personal preference in how you like the recoil impulse to "Feel". Just keep in mind that adding a consumable part to a gun requires additional maintenance and proactive replacement. 

For what its worth, I have seen more neglected shock buffs jam up guns at matches than cracked slides without them in 40 caliber major power factor guns.

4 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Its all about personal preference in how you like the recoil impulse to "Feel". Just keep in mind that adding a consumable part to a gun requires additional maintenance and proactive replacement. 

For what its worth, I have seen more neglected shock buffs jam up guns at matches than cracked slides without them in 40 caliber major power factor guns.

Used shock buffs many years ago and experienced some jams saw many more caused by the buffs. Haven't had a

shock buff in my guns for over 20 years. 

I am the kind of guy that takes the gun apart after every use. the buffer I use is not rubbery but more like a solid plastic with some flex to it, so when it gets dented it shows... in other words, after 1500 rounds still looks like new with zero deformation.

My friend runs the same buffer but with a lighter recoil spring and in 1000 rounds you start to see some noticeable wear on the buffer.