Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

300 Blackout collator is very slow!

I added a 300 Blackout pistol to my collection.  That means I need to reload for it.

I have an older case feeder.  Dillon says to use the small pistol plate with the two washers installed.  So I set it up that way and it's VERY slow to fill the tube, 2-3 minutes slow.  I tried the small rifle plate and half the rounds were upside down.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Speed set to high?

Is the feeder plate slipping?

if you look in the top is it just not picking them up?

who makes a 300 blackout pistol?

I would try to modify small rifle plate spacing. Temporarily to test. my first thought would be to tape something like a small wood block to one end of each space to see if it does anything. If it is your fix then get an extra small rifle plate and modify it permanently

I got one of these to use with my small pistol plate:

https://usa-shop.armanov.com/product/drop-in-spacer-for-dillon-case-feeder/

It works half way decent, but is still kind of slow. Unless you’re really cranking through ammo like when resizing sometimes, it can usually keep up with the press if I remember correctly from the last time I loaded some 300 ammo. This part could be taller than the two washers? Maybe try adding another washer or use a couple of thicker washers?

As a side not I am using the older style case feeder with only the high/low settings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Small rifle plate with nothing done to it. I have the silver tab that I slide as far to the right as I can. Unit runs very well.

I find it feeds slower when the unit has only 50-100 cases in it. You need a lot in there to feed well and keep up with automation.

Post up a video of the unit running from a few angles and maybe we can offer some more help.

I'll get a video today.

I'd use the small rifle plate which has great speed, but there are so many upside down cases.  With the slots in the rifle plate I can't see any way the collator can remove the backwards cases.

I tried the small pistol plate yesterday, with a few cases, with a moderate amount and with a bunch.  Still no joy,  I'll have to hit the hardware store to get some longer bolts to use another washer under the small pistol plate.  Another spacer under there MIGHT work.

9 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I got one of these to use with my small pistol plate:

https://usa-shop.armanov.com/product/drop-in-spacer-for-dillon-case-feeder/

It works half way decent, but is still kind of slow. Unless you’re really cranking through ammo like when resizing sometimes, it can usually keep up with the press if I remember correctly from the last time I loaded some 300 ammo. This part could be taller than the two washers? Maybe try adding another washer or use a couple of thicker washers?

As a side not I am using the older style case feeder with only the high/low settings

I notice in that video he's using the large pistol plate.  I might have to try that.

19 minutes ago, ExStreetWalker said:

I'll get a video today.

I'd use the small rifle plate which has great speed, but there are so many upside down cases.  With the slots in the rifle plate I can't see any way the collator can remove the backwards cases.

I tried the small pistol plate yesterday, with a few cases, with a moderate amount and with a bunch.  Still no joy,  I'll have to hit the hardware store to get some longer bolts to use another washer under the small pistol plate.  Another spacer under there MIGHT work.

The opening of the drop area is what makes them flip correctly. That is what it was added. You might be able to create your own shim.

The old and new casefeeders have a little metal slider like this.  Slide it over a little bit and everything will be fine.

I run mine on high speed with the metal tab slid over about 1/3 with the small rifle plate w/ no washers.

GVanmmw.jpg

On 3/27/2020 at 7:42 AM, looking4reloadingdeals said:

It worked out well for you?

Yes it did.  It's not quite fast enough to keep up with processing brass but it's plenty fast enough for loading.  No more upside down brass.

Now I just need to figure out why some cases are falling over while being pushed into station 1.