Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650, 750, or 1100 for multigun 7.62 NATO?

CStockwell

Which press for 7.62 NATO?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which press for 7.62 NATO?

• XL650
    • XL750
    • RL1100

With the ammo panic in full swing, I've decided that my next big purchase is going to be setting up for handloading. I currently do not roll my own. My primary concern is loading for 7.62 NATO because my multigun rifle is a DSA FAL clone. I own two DSAs in addition to a third receiver that's waiting to be built into a gun. I've also shot a friend's DSA-receiver R1 clone. All three of the guns like M80 ball, so that's what I'm trying to replicate en masse. With FALs having a gas system that needs to be dialed in for one load, I'd rather have more control over my rifle ammo and the ability to make large amounts of consistent FAL food.

I also shoot 9x19 and 12 gauge, but barring an ammo frenzy, that's usually cheap and plentiful enough to not be my primary concern. I'm more concerned about loading rifle ammo. I'd probably start loading shotgun next, then 9x19.

I'd like to be able to load 500-1000 rounds of 7.62 per month as quickly as possible. I shoot about two, maybe three matches a month and I'd like to start going to the range for practice more. I value my time and efficiency over initial startup costs - I'd rather save up for a better press if doing so would make loading "easier." Plus I know that quality handloading equipment can last two, three, four generations.

So, my question is basically if my expected load amounts justify the 1100 for 7.62? Most of the videos I see on these presses are 5.56/.223 to .300BLK for the fully tuned 650s or 750s. The 1100s seem to be mostly used exclusively for 9x19. Thanks in advance!

There are several posts about this for 5.56 so I think you'll find some more information there regarding which die to put in which station.

With either the 550 or 650 you'll want two tool heads to deprime, resize, and trim on the first toolhead

You'll have to swage or cut out the primer pocket crimp off the press. Some will wet tumble here to knock off the sharp edge from trimming or you can chamfer and deburr using a variety of other tools.

Then prime, charge, and seat on the second toolhead. If you select a powder that meters well, you can get a fairly consistent powder throw using the Dillon powder measure on the press. Otherwise you can measure the powder another way and drop it in a funnel on the press.

I can load bulk 5.56 on a Dillon 550 and the only things I would change to speed up production is purchasing an on press trimmer and Dillon swager. I would consider a wet tumbler after that. Brass prep is the most time consuming part of the operation.

As someone who used to process and load a lot of 223 on a 650, upgrading to an automated 1050 was the best thing I ever did.

Lube the brass, dump it in the case feeder, and out the other side comes cases ready to load.

Convert to the loading toolhead and load ammo.

No need to handle the brass a 3rd time in between for crimped primer pockets.

If you're going to initially buy your brass processed and without a crimped primer pocket, then the 750 becomes an economic option.

• 3 weeks later...

I went with a 650 and hindsight wish I would have gone with 1050/1100 for the swager, so I don’t have to handle rifle brass an additional time, also for the random 9mm’s that have crimped pockets.