Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My MrBulletFeeder return spring fix.

Others have done this. Armanov sells a kit for it.

There’s a reason why. I’m finally going hundreds of rounds without a single hiccup. The dropper has roughly triple the downward pressure it used to have, even when it was full, and it never hangs up causing two bullets to drop.

Once I tweak the feeder to stop dropping 3-5 bullets in every 100 upside down, it’ll be perfect. The dropper performed perfectly for 700 rounds tonight. It’s never done that before.

9889E51F-FB46-4D0A-9AC4-817D3EBD7A5B.jpeg

B9C1729D-F115-43F4-991B-28930ED85349.jpeg

7E1BB09F-8F0A-4F22-AD20-6151B8E18684.jpeg

(search keywords for myself for later: dillon 1050 return spring Mr bulletfeeder dropper assembly)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Others have done this. Armanov sells a kit for it.

There’s a reason why. I’m finally going hundreds of rounds without a single hiccup. The dropper has roughly triple the downward pressure it used to have, even when it was full, and it never hangs up causing two bullets to drop.

Once I tweak the feeder to stop dropping 3-5 bullets in every 100 upside down, it’ll be perfect. The dropper performed perfectly for 700 rounds tonight. It’s never done that before.

9889E51F-FB46-4D0A-9AC4-817D3EBD7A5B.jpeg

B9C1729D-F115-43F4-991B-28930ED85349.jpeg

7E1BB09F-8F0A-4F22-AD20-6151B8E18684.jpeg

(search keywords for myself for later: dillon 1050 return spring Mr bulletfeeder dropper assembly)

Me too!  I switched to TC profile and that seems to be the issue. RN was gtg. 

@B_RAD I just switched over to 147 RN bluebullets from a 125 bayou. It always takes a couple of adjustments to get the collator to weed out those last few flipped bullets.

My plan is to mount my phone over top of the collator (it’s 6” below a shelf) and film it dumping bullets into a bucket on high until it messes up. I find you can dial it in really quickly if you can see exactly what’s happening. (Duh, right?)

I used to try to weed out these rare inverted bullets while I was loading ammo like most people do. That’s not a great plan.

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

My plan is to mount my phone over top of the collator (it’s 6” below a shelf) and film it dumping bullets into a bucket on high until it messes up. I find you can dial it in really quickly if you can see exactly what’s happening. (Duh, right?)

I have found it to be a lot easier to take the b/f off, hang it onto a 1 gal bucket with ammo in it for ballast on the bench, and let bullets drop into a box. This way I can run it as long as I need and easily watch the bullets and can easily make any necessary adjustments.  

Nice job on the spring mount.  I had done something similar using a rubber bungee hook some time ago, but have reverted back to the good ole rubber bungee.  Will have to do this mod.  :cheers:

Edited by GregJ

This is the weakness of the bullet feeder.
The GSI system was much more reliable, if Mark 7 had adopted this system the press would be perfect

I agree as I have the 9mm and .223 GSI toolhead for my 1050.

The only problem with GSI is the bullet collator. I use the Mr Bulletfeeder collator to feed the GSI head.

I have to use the MBF feeder for .300 blackout as it wasn’t available through GSI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just setup the MFB on my LnL and hung the collator off the Hornady case feeder tub. The spring tube was a bit tight and would hold the feeder head up allowing multiple bullets to fall through. All I had to do was unscrew the spring tube half way out of both ends of the plastic ends to give it slack and the head falls normally. So far at least. If it gets gummy then I might add a spring to pull it down but so far so good.

On 3/24/2020 at 7:14 PM, broadside72 said:

All I had to do was unscrew the spring tube half way out of both ends of the plastic ends to give it slack and the head falls normally.

You can also stretch the spring’s midsection slightly.

The main reason you hear so much about tuning the MBF and return spring is the fact that so many of us run them on a Dillon 1050.

Setting it up on a LnL or my old XL650? Easy.

On the 1050 the shellplate is static, and the toolhead moves up and down. That makes it more work to find a position where the spring isn’t pulled tight at the bottom OR sagging on the upstroke, causing bullets to collect in the middle.

Here’s mine running:

The additional spring makes tuning easier because the dropper won’t stick open if the MBF is putting the slightest tug on it anymore.

I've been using the HD spring and Hornady lock die for a while know, but during an extended run - it just kinda gave out I guess.  Maybe the spring stretched out too much over use.  Using the lock ring makes it pretty hard to tweak/replace the spring unless you remove the power measure as there's not enough room to spin it around.  Wound up just throwing a rubber band back on it like I used to do, and it worked fine.  Next time I break it down I may look at doing something different, but for now I'm just going to roll with the rubber band.  it's ugly bu it works :).

s8A3Pkjh.jpg

On 4/2/2020 at 5:20 PM, RangerTrace said:

Try the Armanov one.  It's not that much and if you use the supplied springs (without stretching them like I did) it works very well.  I've loaded 3k this week with only one weird upside down bullet, and no double drops.

Yeah, I broke down and ordered 4 today.  Honestly they seem kinda spendy for what they are - a shim essentially, a spring, and threaded bolt, but it's a cleaner solution than the rubber band or the Hornady lock ring deal.  That's the problem with the 1050 and having multiple toolhead setups, you have to order multiples of everything lol...  

On 4/5/2020 at 10:03 PM, 78Staff said:

Yeah, I broke down and ordered 4 today.  Honestly they seem kinda spendy for what they are - a shim essentially, a spring, and threaded bolt, but it's a cleaner solution than the rubber band or the Hornady lock ring deal.  That's the problem with the 1050 and having multiple toolhead setups, you have to order multiples of everything lol...  

Arrived yesterday, installed two of them, definitely works better than the Hornady Ring/spring or the Rubber Band.  It's a nice clean solution (once you get that damn spring/screw started lol)

On 4/5/2020 at 9:03 PM, 78Staff said:

Honestly they seem kinda spendy for what they are - a shim essentially, a spring, and threaded bolt...  

That’s why I made my own version as the start of this post. Having a plethora of metalworking gear as part of my job, I wasn’t about to pay someone for a piece of sheetmetal with a 7/8” hole and a single small bend in it. 

Especially not when I found the perfect assortment of springs to use while I was cleaning my shelves out, and the toolhead needed to come off anyway. ;) 

3 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

That’s why I made my own version as the start of this post. Having a plethora of metalworking gear as part of my job, I wasn’t about to pay someone for a piece of sheetmetal with a 7/8” hole and a single small bend in it. 

Especially not when I found the perfect assortment of springs to use while I was cleaning my shelves out, and the toolhead needed to come off anyway. ;) 

Yeah, but I got *two* springs with the Armanov kit 🤪.

Seriously, I agree, while it seems to work great, I would expect this kit to be more like $9.99 or something along those lines.

RangePanda makes a 3D printed lock ring with a closed loop where you can supply your own spring i just noticed - basically similar to using the Hornady Lock ring, but much easier to use a spring with than trying to hook around the adjuster screw in that little slot - and they are $5.  Four of those and the HD spring kit same price as one Armanov :(.  If I hadn't already bought the Armanov's I would give that one a try.  Note I'm not knocking the function of the Armonov - it works great.  It's just overpriced imo.  Bah the things we buy for our Dillon's lol.

https://rangepanda.com/collections/misc-products/products/mr-bullet-feeder-die-return

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

All of them chained together.

Lol. Just got the range panda bracket and setting it up. I made a washer like you out of sheet metal. Serious though which spring did you find that worked best. I got the pack from hd I was thinking the compressed 1in one but wanted to see what you running