Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cast bullet load length

doane

Seems like I went by Lyman reload data when loading some 170 grain SWC at 1.10", which seems quite short. They shoot ok, just seem short. 

Is there any reason why I can't load them a little longer ?? 

btw, powder is 5 grains of HP-38. shooting those bullets from a G22 with an Alphawolf barrel .

You can load them as long as the barrel throat will accept them.  Length wise you, obviously, can't go longer than the magazine will accept.  Try a few different lengths and see which is the most accurate - if there is an difference in accuracy with the different lengths.

Usually the oal listed in a reloading manual, would be the minimum for that volume of powder, not what you should load at, With SWC bullets, you want the case mouth just below the shoulder of the bullet. Something similar to this:

3469db45e5fdc6433931d31e37bf22e6.jpg

Edited by Postal Bob

I also load 40 long, 1.180-1.200" but shoot 1911/2011's.  It depends on what pistol(s) you are shooting and what feeds best.

Find the shortest OAL chamber/magazine that your specific ammo will be used in and test it in the others.  CZ's & XD's need a shorter OAL than some.

Simple if you load only for one gun....find what fits and what it likes with THAT bullet.  

Edited by Yeti