Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady AP Powder Measure Kit vs Mark 7 Powder Measure?

I have a Mark 7 powder measure for pistols that came on my 9mm Evolution, but need to get a dedicated powder measure to leave on my .223 toolhead. I found this deal, and it looks interesting: https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00350ultrelpdrkit/ultimatereloaderpointcom-and-midsouth-shooters-ultimate-hornady-ap-powder-measure-kit

It's 1/3rd the price of the Mark 7. Anyone have any thoughts on going with this vs the Mark 7 powder measure? For the price, it seems like it's worth a shot.

Edited by avastcosmicarena

I have the digital PM from Mark 7. It is good. Is it worth the price? Not for what I need. I personally love the Hornady PM. Easy to setup. Only problem I have with Hornady are the moving parts. Make sure they are tightened. I have had those little bolts/nuts loosen. If I didn’t have a powder check die, I may not have noticed in time.

I can’t say if the mechanical PM from M7 is any better but I suspect it isn’t any better accuracy wise. There are definitely pros/cons to both. I would recommend buying the Hornady first. If it works for you, order more of the die only. You don’t need a dedicated Hopper for each caliber. It would be a huge waste IMO - and super bulky to store.

I am just used the Hornady to run 9mm and 45acp on my Revo. Good stuff. 

That deal that midsouthshooters has is a hell of a good deal. Its the only one i buy anymore, in a kit form anyway. Saves you a bunch money. 

I`ve had the best luck with hornady powder measures. Perfect drops every time.

Make sure you clean it good before using it, and spray something on it quickly so that the bare metal parts dont flash rust.

Good deal at Midsouth. I use both the Hornady and the M7 powder measure with my EVO. 

With 9mm the M7 has a longer funnel which allows for less dwell at the bottom position (funnel stays in case longer as the tool head moves in the upward position). However the difference minimal. With 223 you may not experience this. Also, the hopper is larger on th M7. 

Both work well and you cannot go wrong with either. I get about .04gr variance  with both. Btw the hornady you can get the micrometer adjuster. That speeds things up if you do l multiple load charges. I wish M7 would come out with one for there measure. 

Edited by Stymie12000
  • 3 weeks later...

Appreciate the responses and feedback given in this thread fellas. Just ordered a manual Evo without the Mark 7 Powder Measure and went with the kit from Midsouth. Is the Hornady plug-n-play with the Mark 7 presses?

22 hours ago, DJRyan13 said:

Yes

Thanks! Appreciate the referral to Joe in the other thread btw, placing my order through him as well and he has been a pleasure to work with; extremely fast and thorough replies to emails.

12 hours ago, kamber said:

Thanks! Appreciate the referral to Joe in the other thread btw, placing my order through him as well and he has been a pleasure to work with; extremely fast and thorough replies to emails.

glad he helped you out. Next time you chat with him tell him DJ is still waiting on his 45-70 and 44-40 conversions. 🤪

Guessing they have slowed down like the rest of the world.

Edited by DJRyan13
2 hours ago, Tunachaser said:

I added the glass bowl to replace the plastic one, no more static cling.

https://dramworx.com/products/hornady/

my newest Hornady has a different clear hopper material than my older ones. 

i left Bullseye in one of my older ones and it really darkened it up. I drop a used dryer sheet on top to stop static cling. 

I haven’t noticed if the new material being used has much static. I will check it out. Also, wonder if how it holds up to storing powder too long.

• 4 months later...
On 3/16/2020 at 7:33 PM, DJRyan13 said:

I have the digital PM from Mark 7. It is good. Is it worth the price? Not for what I need. I personally love the Hornady PM. Easy to setup. Only problem I have with Hornady are the moving parts. Make sure they are tightened. I have had those little bolts/nuts loosen. If I didn’t have a powder check die, I may not have noticed in time.

I can’t say if the mechanical PM from M7 is any better but I suspect it isn’t any better accuracy wise. There are definitely pros/cons to both. I would recommend buying the Hornady first. If it works for you, order more of the die only. You don’t need a dedicated Hopper for each caliber. It would be a huge waste IMO - and super bulky to store.

I am just used the Hornady to run 9mm and 45acp on my Revo. Good stuff. 

can i ask why you find the digital not worth it, i been seriously considering based on the data people post in the m7 facebook group to biting the bullet on the digital. currently have 2 mechanical. 

• 6 months later...

Mark 7 has 2 mechanical powder measures that I've seen. Once with a machined body (2 actuating arms on the powder barrel) and one with a cast body (1 actuating arm on the powder barrel). I only have experience with the machined body one with 2 actuating arms. I've had constant issues with the screws on the barrel coming loose even after hand tightening multiple times. I also use one body for 2 drums (pistol & rifle) and have had those custom screws snap right where the thread ends during loosening. Mark 7 replaced one of my drums once and the second time that has happened they told me to purchase a new one so one of my drums only has 1 actuating arm like their cast body version powder measure. I've since ditched their screws, purchased matching thread grade 8 screws from Lowe's and they've been working great without coming loose or snapping. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2020 at 7:33 PM, DJRyan13 said:

... Only problem I have with Hornady are the moving parts. Make sure they are tightened. I have had those little bolts/nuts loosen. If I didn’t have a powder check die, I may not have noticed in time....

Just had this happen to me this weekend for the first time on my Hornady LNL.  May not have caught it if not for the powder check.  Felt no different in the pull/weight, and visually looked almost the same as a fully working unit, but sent shells through with no powder.  Crazy...