Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is loading 9mm PCC for accuracy the same as........

I shoot and roll my own for three different rifle calibers in PRS and well versed in what it takes to put together accurate rifle ammo. As we all know when it comes to wringing the best accuracy out of rifles it's a combination of powder, amount of powder (velocity), bullet, seating depth of bullet, etc.

with regard to loading 115 grain bullets for a 16 inch PCC barrel, what is the order of "importance" in putting together an accurate load and specifically does seating depth have the same sometimes SIGNIFICANT effect that it can have in rifles?

Just my 2 cents worth, and probably not worth that much!

i have found that the biggest factor is finding the bullet that your pcc likes. My pcc likes Montana Gold 121 and 124 HP. Others have told me not to even try 124 HP because they are not accurate. 

Seating depth has not shown to be much of a factor. Plus we are limited by the mag dimensions. 

With PCC, finding a good jacketed bullet (PD 124 JHP) with a covered base (especially if you have a comp) and relatively clean powder with modest charge gets the best accuracy (ideally sorted brass). It helps with small steel at distance and long shots, but for close targets, it doesn't matter much as long as it functions. I shoot one load for several PCCs. 124 Precision Delta and 4.0 grain of Titegroup and am getting one hole groups at 50 yards. Does it really matter? Most shooters won't notice the difference between a 3 inch load or a half inch load in a match.

We shoot a 115gr Everglade plated bullets with 3.8grs of Titegroup. Roughly between the 3 of us about 20-25K a year in our PCC's & minor pistols. The PCC's are zeroed at 25 yards and shoot a quarter sized 5-shot hole. Hit a 200 yard 12x12 steel target yesterday after about 5 shots and we all hit a 3" hanging steel at 50 yards offhand with the first shot with red dots on PCC & iron sight pistol. More than acceptable accuracy with a plated inexpensive bullet.

gerritm

Thanks for the replies!

My past career made me kinda OCD and I like to get in the weeds on stuff I enjoy doing. I assumed that bullet seating depth probably didn't have that much of an effect on accuracy but choice of bullet and powder would. We all know that different powders even when loaded to produce the same equivalent velocity will produce different levels of accuracy as well as the choice of bullet using the SAME powder will have significant impact on accuracy in a rifle.

I was curious if something as low pressure as a 9mm in a rifle length barrel would have the same characteristics as a high pressure rifle round.

Edited by copterdrvr

If it helps we load all to 1.12 OAL using range brass on a Dillon 650 with CCI SPP. I have a JP 14.5" pinned comp barrel on mine & hers is a Taccom 14.5 pinned comp barrel with built in feed ramp. The 200 yard shot was her shooting offhand with a 6moa red dot so covered the whole target pretty much even turned way down. That is why it took 5 shots or so. She basically held top of the target. 

gerritm

Thanks for the info!

Does changing the seating depth have a noticeable impact on the velocity of the loaded round and is it the norm for the rifles to shoot the lighter bullets more accurately?  I'm currently loading on a Dillon 550 and using Winchester small primers-got a crapload of them at a good price a while ago!

Thanks for the replies!

I don't believe so. Remember 99% of your shots in USPSA are within 30 yards & most are much closer. 3-gun/UML  will go out to 100-120 max usually if you shoot PCC only. Zeroing at 25 yards seems to work and if you can get a consistent group all is good. Have used Winchester SPP with no problems. 

Depending on your PCC barrel, chamber, magazine, & bullet profile may determine your max OAL,  We have shot many different bullets including 100, 124, & 147 grains . Coated, plated, FMJ, & JHPs in testing & matches. These Everglades 115gr plated seem to be as accurate as any and we like the way the dot moves & recoil pulse. Why spend more than you have to.

gerritm