Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Accidental Discharge - Cite the rule for the DQ

Jollymon32

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone. I am that guy.  I recently aged into the USPSA Super Senior ranks.  In the eight plus years that I have been at this game, between IDPA, Steel Challenge, 3-Gun and all the various USPSA events, I have stood there waiting for the BEEP a couple of thousand times. Until that day I had never been DQ'd.  I was not having a good match that day.  I was off my game, the bullets were not going where I wanted them to go and I just could not get my mind to cooperate.  The DQ was on the fourth stage of the day.  I am in the start box, had my stage plan ready, made ready, heard the Standby command, was shifting my feet to get off of some spent brass and BANG!  WTF?  I was as surprised as the RO.   The RO gave me the Unload and Show Clear commands.  I think he made a comment about the round going into the far berm, or maybe it was later.  I slowly walked back to my cart and packed everything away.  The RO came up to me and said not to leave just yet and went to talk to the Range Master.  Range Master rolled up a couple of minutes later with the RO and they had a discussion about ND's, early starts, bullet into the berm, etc., etc. - i.e. all the stuff that has been discussed here already.  The decision was a ND and sorry, but its time to go home, don't feel bad, it happens and see you next time.  I gave my apologies and departed.  Please don't second guess the Range Master with another 50 posts.  I messed up and would have sent myself home at that point even if invited to do a re-shoot.      

So what happened?  I had my finger on the trigger, obviously.  The safety was off, obviously.  I was shooting a SIG MPX PCC with three matches on it.  It was not equipment failure and I would swear that it court.  I had been shooting a CZ Scorpion with the aftermarket AK style safety on the right side for four years.  Love that Scorpion.  I was in a position to try something else, so I went with the SIG.  Ergonomically they are profoundly different and I was having issues adopting to the SIG.  I was frustrated, hot, tired, had sweat in my eyes and my head was not in the game that day. BANG!      

29 minutes ago, Baker_cs said:
Hello everyone. I am that guy.  I recently aged into the USPSA Super Senior ranks.  In the eight plus years that I have been at this game, between IDPA, Steel Challenge, 3-Gun and all the various USPSA events, I have stood there waiting for the BEEP a couple of thousand times. Until that day I had never been DQ'd.  I was not having a good match that day.  I was off my game, the bullets were not going where I wanted them to go and I just could not get my mind to cooperate.  The DQ was on the fourth stage of the day.  I am in the start box, had my stage plan ready, made ready, heard the Standby command, was shifting my feet to get off of some spent brass and BANG!  WTF?  I was as surprised as the RO.   The RO gave me the Unload and Show Clear commands.  I think he made a comment about the round going into the far berm, or maybe it was later.  I slowly walked back to my cart and packed everything away.  The RO came up to me and said not to leave just yet and went to talk to the Range Master.  Range Master rolled up a couple of minutes later with the RO and they had a discussion about ND's, early starts, bullet into the berm, etc., etc. - i.e. all the stuff that has been discussed here already.  The decision was a ND and sorry, but its time to go home, don't feel bad, it happens and see you next time.  I gave my apologies and departed.  Please don't second guess the Range Master with another 50 posts.  I messed up and would have sent myself home at that point even if invited to do a re-shoot.      

So what happened?  I had my finger on the trigger, obviously.  The safety was off, obviously.  I was shooting a SIG MPX PCC with three matches on it.  It was not equipment failure and I would swear that it court.  I had been shooting a CZ Scorpion with the aftermarket AK style safety on the right side for four years.  Love that Scorpion.  I was in a position to try something else, so I went with the SIG.  Ergonomically they are profoundly different and I was having issues adopting to the SIG.  I was frustrated, hot, tired, had sweat in my eyes and my head was not in the game that day. BANG!      

Regardless of you taking the blame rules still have to support a DQ. The thing to do would be to withdraw yourself if you felt you needed to leave the match.

8 hours ago, Sarge said:

Regardless of you taking the blame rules still have to support a DQ. The thing to do would be to withdraw yourself if you felt you needed to leave the match.

Interesting. I was at th Match. Also running PCC. First three stages something was not right. Focus was not there. I've been shooting USPSA since 1996, never been DQ'd. After the 3rd stage I packed up my gear and left.

Nothing wrong, not sure of the why...but yeah, better to call it a day.

2 hours ago, p7fl said:

Interesting. I was at th Match. Also running PCC. First three stages something was not right. Focus was not there. I've been shooting USPSA since 1996, never been DQ'd. After the 3rd stage I packed up my gear and left.

Nothing wrong, not sure of the why...but yeah, better to call it a day.

Agreed. That was as very wise on your part. I have seen guys get way overheated in the Army. The mind and body go south very quickly in some cases. Every once in awhile a shooter in a match will get too hot and pack it in. Best decision.

Why didn’t the shooter challenge the ruling to the RO and MD. They have to be able to site the violation for it to be a QD. If I was in violation of any rule I would always challenge it. I don’t know every tiny rule but the RO should know it if he is going to call you on it. Regardless everyone should be respectful to one another and overrule the ruling if no evidence of the violation can be found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Sarge said:

Agreed. That was as very wise on your part. I have seen guys get way overheated in the Army. The mind and body go south very quickly in some cases. Every once in awhile a shooter in a match will get too hot and pack it in. Best decision.

That was covered ad nauseum in the 7 pages before this one.

Yes, he should have challenged it, if he was so inclined. It seems he was not.

43 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

Huh? I didn’t say anything about challenging call.

20 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Not legal as far as start position but no a DQ as far as I can see.

Correct ... Improper start position/condition.  Stop ... Reset (as needed) ... Restart.

Gentle chat with shooter ... RO kick himself for not being alert enough to notice!

18 hours ago, Sarge said:

You are a man of character! I have had the immense discomfort of DQ tons of people and I hate doing it. I have been bless that I had to do to to people like you...

45 minutes ago, Sarge said:
1 hour ago, ima45dv8 said:

Huh? I didn’t say anything about challenging call.

I apologise, Kevin. That was supposed to be directed to usmc1977, who seemed to be late to the party when he asked, "Why didn’t the shooter challenge the ruling to the RO and MD."

Sorry about that.

12 hours ago, Sarge said:

My first 3 gun match was a hot and humid july day. Probably 10% of shooters dropped out by mid afternoon because of the heat. I think 1 dq early on that day not heat related, everyone else bailed before any mistakes were made.

On 6/7/2020 at 7:52 PM, Sarge said:

Yes.