Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated Bullets

The search function was not that helpful. I finally used up the last of my 147gr lead bullets. Looking at different suppliers of coated bullets. Blue Bullets seem very popular. Just wondering if there are other choices. OTOH plated bullets from Everglades are not that much more expensive.

SNS bullets have a fine product as well as Blue Bullets. 

Plated bullets can be more brittle than coated. Watch for cracking if you go that route. 

All can cause leading on a comp if you use Titegroup. A cooler powder like sport pistol is recommended. 

I use either Clays, Clay Dot or Solo 1000. I stopped using TG years ago. Way too much nitroglycerin for lead bullets. I have used Everglades bullets before. They are $4 a thousand more than the Blue Bullets. The cheapest coated I have found are from Gallant. 

I avoid budget-priced plated bullets in 16" PCCs after a friend's barrel leaded up (due to plate stripping) and got bulged. Thick-plated bullets (Berry's) have worked OK for me, but are more $$$ if you are on a tight budget. I mostly run Blue Bullets in my PCCs and they shoot OK - not tack driving (3" at 50 yards), but adequate for USPSA. A lot of friends run Precision Delta FMJ and say they are very accurate with the right load.

For longer distances (past 50 yards) I run factory FMJ - better bullet, and hotter=flatter shooting which matters past 100 yards.

I stopped using coated bullets in the PCC because I hate the lead build up on the comp and having to scrape it off. I’ve used blue bullets, ibejihead, and brazos. All of them did the same thing. I switched to Everglades plated and boom, problem solved. 

Rg2018 for 5% discount code with Everglades. 

Taylor10 in comment section of checkout for 10% off ibejihead. Good luck finding anything in stock 

Received 1,000 jacketed 147gr RN from RMR today. A 1,000 147gr RN from Everglades will arrive Friday. I have about 1,000 loaded 147gr lead rounds. They came from Summers Enterprises in Batesville, MS. I will be good for the rest of the year. 

Everglades plated bullets leave absolutely no residue in your comp.

Coated bullets left me grinding a cement-like cake out of my compensator with a dremel, which I am not eager to repeat. Granted I found a very clean combination of bullet and powder, but after 2,000ish rounds the ports were roughly half of their original size!

I have used Everglades 147 gr 9mm for years in my wife's Glocks. I tried some "painted" bullets a couple of times. Did not like the residue. I still shoot .40 and .45 lead bullets through my Glocks. OMG did I just admit to shooting lead bullets through Glocks on a Forum?

16 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Everglades plated bullets leave absolutely no residue in your comp.

Coated bullets left me grinding a cement-like cake out of my compensator with a dremel, which I am not eager to repeat. Granted I found a very clean combination of bullet and powder, but after 2,000ish rounds the ports were roughly half of their original size!

This. Have run an average of 20K Everglades plated, all weights a year now for 2 or 3 years with no lead build up and consistent accuracy. 

gerritm

Acme bullets are the best.  The always send extra in the bags.  SNS will short you on the count.  Ordered 3k from them some time ago, noticed they were 10% short.  Sent several emails and they ignored them until I posted a review then the owner called me a bitched at me like it was my fault they cannot count.  Rude, arrogant.  Never made the order right.  Avoid like the plague.

+1 on ACME's.  I've gone with them for 9, 38/357 and 44.

FWIW - I was a big user of Blue Bullets and think they are great as well but prefer the finish on the ACME's (no smurf fingers).

Also, with the ACME's their NLG design works for me (I have some CZ's) whereas with the Blues I had to use their TC design to get my loading.

On 3/19/2020 at 1:38 PM, Bdh821 said:

I stopped using coated bullets in the PCC because I hate the lead build up on the comp and having to scrape it off. I’ve used blue bullets, ibejihead, and brazos. All of them did the same thing. I switched to Everglades plated and boom, problem solved. 

Rg2018 for 5% discount code with Everglades. 

Taylor10 in comment section of checkout for 10% off ibejihead. Good luck finding anything in stock 

Thanks for sharing the Everglades coupon code!

I'll add them to the list to try...

10k blue bullets all over N330 and very little build up in my Coda comp. What actually was built up came off after a few minute soak.

I think most people that have leading problems is because either they're melting the coating with the wrong powder or over-crimping.

I have been running Blue Bullets for everything for a number of years now but had issues running them in the PCC. Went with a plated round nose instead of the coated TC and the feeding issues went away. This barrel just does not seem to like them. Still run Blue for everything else though.