Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Custom 38 Super Questions

RGC

Considering picking up an old stock Tanfo.

I have a lot of 38 super comp, and could use as an extra home gun or even an extreme back up if my competition (Honcho 38SC) goes awry.

So a few questions;

Do the mags handle 1.245 ish ammo?

Can the extractor be adjusted by a "home smith" (me) to run super comp?

Are the frame holes tapped and threaded?

Are these reliable?

Easy to add a comp?

I have worked on trigger assemblies for Tanfos so can play with that on my own.

Thanks!!

Rob

2 hours ago, Mlussoro said:

0 issues running that oal, yes extractor can be tuned all you need is x power spring, and run a9 mm extractor instead of the 38super one. Check breech face bottom angle, and run TSO grams followers 

What exactly do you mean by checking breech face bottom angle...dont have a Tanfo in my hands for reference...?

On 3/13/2020 at 8:42 PM, RGC said:

What exactly do you mean by checking breech face bottom angle...dont have a Tanfo in my hands for reference...?

Where breechface rounds to bottom of slide make sure that is smooth, I had patriot defense change the angle a polish the breechface and angle which helped dramatically in feeding 

Yes frame holes are tapped
Adding a comp is not easy, there are no factory threaded barrels available and no factory comped barrels that fit the longer limited slide. You can get a 6in straight barrel and add a cone comp, one is available from kneeling atlas on these forums, but that's about it for not making a custom one, making custom comps for Tanfoglios is harder than 1911s because the curve on the top of the slide is not centered on the bore so if you want it to line up right you have to do some off center turning. Not to put you off, I made a comp for my wife's gold team to convert it from super to 9mm, just want you going in with your eyes open.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input.

It was mostly a "nice to do" project.  I run open 2011's and have a Honcho arriving in a couple weeks but this was going to be a side project.  Want a home pistol that will run on my 38 SC ammo....

I may look for another top end then...likely more economical.

In the meantime I will upgrade the internals and do some polishing.  Be a fun open carry piece ....