Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cutting holster for thumb rest

lroy

Has anyone cut their kydex to allow for a thumb rest? Currently have a weber tactical for my 2011 and would like to experiment with adding a nitrofin. 

Is it as simple as marking where the area needing to be cut into is and dremeling into it? Id like to avoid screwing up retention and having to wait on another holster as best I can. 

Edited by lroy

6 hours ago, kk4364 said:

I have modified a Blade tech by heating it up with a heat gun. That was fairly simple. I have never cut one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

When you heat it up, do you just press the gun into the holster and reshape it that way?

Yes heat up the area in question, just be sure that you don't go overboard, or you will end up with the original shape, but lopsided! Just concentrate on the area of the thumb rest and you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, lroy said:

When you heat it up, do you just press the gun into the holster and reshape it that way?

Heat it up locally til it assumes the consistency of rubber, wear thick leather gloves so that you can press the gun into the holster and then pretty much  pinchpinchpinch all over the area that needs reshaped, working back and forth.

(When you stop applying pressure, kydex has a memory and will attempt to return to it’s straight unmolded shape. So keep working it while it cools.)

You can also dip it in a bucket of water to instantly lock it into whatever shape it held the moment you dipped it in.

If you mess up, warm it up again and start over. 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

34 minutes ago, inertia said:

Please picture of gun in holster with nitrofin, I want to try this

It's pretty hard to get a good angle without unscrewing everything but hopefully this helps. You basically just trace out a straight line down then a 45 degree angle.

Took me about 5 10 minutes. I'm sure you can trace it out if you want it to be cleaner. I just eye balled it. Works great though.DB209893-9A50-4393-9085-9128521375A9.thumb.jpeg.5642b387d3217ed0e69c4f15d03f12ff.jpeg

EC9F2221-15EE-4FFD-B90A-25A4BD726E4A.jpeg

Edited by lroy