Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Phoenix redback lite

On 8/17/2020 at 10:32 AM, Blackstone45 said:

@KommBat I'm also interested to know about the recoil spring, what the factory weight is, and if you changed your's? And whether the springs are interchangeable with CZ springs?

Hi Blackstone, sorry for the late response.

The Factory recoil spring is 15lbs AFAIK.

I like a 11lbs and 10lbs spring shooting 115 and 124gr ammo.

I would not go low as 8lbs, unless you shoot some realy slow and heavy bullets.

Get yourself a set of CZ recoil springs with different weights and give it a try.

How did you got along with the shortened 1911 hammer spring?

AFAIK you can´t use a CZ hammer spring.

I hope EEmann is coming out with a full line of Redback springs.

There is also a "competition trigger set" in the pipeline, but Covid has slowed down everything.

Have you made it to Interlaken?

Cheers,

Rob

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/21/2020 at 8:38 PM, Ericlee said:

Looks like the Drake has a Brilley 1911 style bushing with the asymmetrical lock ring inside. Those things provided crazy accuracy in the S&W performance center .356 TS&W pistols made in the early 90’s 

great idea, time someone revived it. Made disassembly and reassembly a bit tricky. Maybe having it in a removable unhinged solves that problem 

Yeeees! even more accurate than the bloddy Redback 😉 

Phoenix is comming up with a tool that is making disassembly easyer.

Did you know that the Barrel Bushing of the Drake has a ball bearing system?

Cheers,

Rob

On 9/26/2020 at 11:59 PM, Uomu said:

Hi Rob. I m glad to see you here. Congratullation for you results.

Also Alex Koussev from Sofia with the redback have won second place at 2019 Europen Handgun Championship - Production Optics

Alex from Bucharest

Hey Alex, brother,  how is it going?

Was good to see you at the European Championship.

You also did very well. Great Job!

Hope the WHC is happening this year at least.

By then I will be turned "Senior" so you better keep up the training 😉 

Stay safe!

Cheers from Berlin

Rob

2 hours ago, KommBat said:

Hi Blackstone, sorry for the late response.

The Factory recoil spring is 15lbs AFAIK.

I like a 11lbs and 10lbs spring shooting 115 and 124gr ammo.

I would not go low as 8lbs, unless you shoot some realy slow and heavy bullets.

Get yourself a set of CZ recoil springs with different weights and give it a try.

How did you got along with the shortened 1911 hammer spring?

AFAIK you can´t use a CZ hammer spring.

I hope EEmann is coming out with a full line of Redback springs.

There is also a "competition trigger set" in the pipeline, but Covid has slowed down everything.

Have you made it to Interlaken?

Cheers,

Rob

HI Kommbat, thanks for this information. No unfortunately I haven't been to Switzerland since 2019 because of Covid. So my gun has been stuck there this whole time. Hoping to go this summer for the Eidgenössischen Schützenfest. I'll be sure to get a set of spares off Armin.

With the 11lb recoil springs, do you install any recoil buffers?

• 2 weeks later...

Overall fit and finish is incredible, CZ doesn’t come close. Don’t get me wrong, not bashing CZ, they’re damn good guns.

The Phoenix is on the level of a custom gun. A bit like a stock Kimber next to a Wilson Combat.

Edited by Phoenix1977

1 minute ago, lroy said:

For someone curious about the redback, what makes this 3x the price of a shadow 2?

If a person is truly price shopping, I actually think it may be a bit difficult to justify the price difference between a Redback and an S2.  However, if you want more or less a custom gun to shoot in the 'production' divisions, this gun may be for you.  I generally appreciate owning nicer things and I am always excited to use my Redback.  I own a couple other nice guns (Infinity, Laugo Alien, etc.), but I actually only use my Redback for competitions.  The finishing on the Redback is night and day different than the CZ as well.  My redback looks and feels more like my Infinity than it does a CZ.  However, if that isn't important to someone, I can see the price being a hard pill to swallow.

32 minutes ago, Phoenix1977 said:

@Zerofade, have you seen the new Phoenix Drake?

Not in person, it looks awesome though.  I would like to see it in 9mm and be production/production optics legal!  I would buy 2 of them tomorrow!

7 hours ago, Silverscooby27 said:

What about spare parts...how hard is it to find spare parts for these and where do you buy them?

My local supplier had a decent stock of parts when I wanted them.  Also, this winter I decided to build a decent parts inventory just for myself.  I sent an email of parts numbers and quantities, I had my full order in less than 2 weeks (shipped from the factory to my supplier, then forwarded to me).  The cost of the parts was very reasonable as well.  I bought stuff I likely won't ever use, but I like being prepared!  

18 hours ago, Zerofade said:

My local supplier had a decent stock of parts when I wanted them.  Also, this winter I decided to build a decent parts inventory just for myself.  I sent an email of parts numbers and quantities, I had my full order in less than 2 weeks (shipped from the factory to my supplier, then forwarded to me).  The cost of the parts was very reasonable as well.  I bought stuff I likely won't ever use, but I like being prepared!  

What kind of parts did you get? I'll be visiting the factory at some point and will likely pick some up direct.

5 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

What kind of parts did you get? I'll be visiting the factory at some point and will likely pick some up direct.

Mostly just springs, buffers, and some screws, extra slide stop.  Everything worked fine, but I am closing in on 50,000 rounds though it, so I wanted to freshen things up.  The torx grip screws were mangled from cheap tools, so I bought a couple replacements (and some better drivers).  I basically couldn't remove my grips at the end of last season for maintenance/cleaning and I couldn't find replacement screws from local fastener supply store.

(2) - 5 - Buffer
(2) - 22 - Sear
(2) - 24 - Sear Spring
(2) - 29 - Trigger Spring
(1) - 35 - Magazine Release Screw
(3) - 36 - Trigger Bar Spring
(1) - 43 - Hammer
(2) - 45 - Disconnector
(2) - 47 - Hammer Spring
(3) - 69 - Grip Screw Set
(1) - ? - Extended magazine Button Black

This was my parts order, it was cheap to get all of it, just to keep it on hand.  Like I said, mostly springs/screws.  The other items (sear, hammer, disco) are 'just in case' items since I was placing an order.  I got the extended magazine button too, its perfect for me.

On 2/2/2021 at 11:59 AM, Blackstone45 said:

HI Kommbat, thanks for this information. No unfortunately I haven't been to Switzerland since 2019 because of Covid. So my gun has been stuck there this whole time. Hoping to go this summer for the Eidgenössischen Schützenfest. I'll be sure to get a set of spares off Armin.

With the 11lb recoil springs, do you install any recoil buffers?

Hey Blackstone, well, I keep the original buffer in my Redback. Since I use a steel / steel frame, I feel safe with using anything like 10lbs and above for 115/125gr factory loads.

Try out some soft 147gr loads with 9 or 8lbs. But I would always keep and inspect the buffer.

Cheers!

Kommbat

On 2/10/2021 at 8:20 PM, lroy said:

For someone curious about the redback, what makes this 3x the price of a shadow 2?

Hey Iroy,

yeah, thats a legit questio.

What makes the 3 times higher price?

Easy answer: Its the Material, craftmanship, fitting, design, finish, support, image

But the true question should be: Do I need to spend 3 x as much a Shadow 2?

The answer is a little harder.

I would answer it with: Well... ;)

Will it make you a winner? No. Bob Vogel won the IPSC World Shoot in 2011 with a more or less Stock-Glock.

So it will always be the indian and not the arrow. But there is always a "but"...

Perormance wise: shoot a CZ next to a Phoenix and you will discover that the CZ can do everything a Redback or Drake can do, but they do everything a bit nicer. Try it out by yourself, I can tell you a lot.

Fit and finish wise: Any Phoenix is a semi custom gun that is hand fittet for tightest grouping and reliable funktion. Thats the same with STI or SVI...do you need such a 2011 or will a SPS do the job too?

look at it like a race car driver would look at a Mustang and a Porsche. A profesional driver will always let you eat dust with his Mustang and the novice driver will not win against him just cause he is running a Porsche.

But the Porsche is not just over all much nicer car, but I will also give two equal drivers may be a bit better performance, thats needed to win.

For me, and just für me, my Redbacks are like my Porsche.

But like I wrote before, you have to see and feel it for yourself.

Cheers,

Kommbat

On 2/10/2021 at 9:22 PM, Zerofade said:

Not in person, it looks awesome though.  I would like to see it in 9mm and be production/production optics legal!  I would buy 2 of them tomorrow!

They should be comming soon. The .40´s are out now and the 9mm should be on the shelf soon.

AFAIK all Drakes and the newer Redbacks are all optics ready.

Cheers,

Kommbat

5 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

LOL at people trying to buy points

Feel free to elaborate.  I think if you read this thread you won't find a bunch of people claiming that the Phoenix will make anyone a better a shooter.  However, you will see Phoenix owners that are happy with their purchase and willing to share their thoughts with others. 

Comments like yours do nothing to further the conversation, they just make you look salty.  

3 hours ago, Phoenix1977 said:

Please leave this thread Schultz, you’re kinda annoying.

anyone has any experience with holsters for a Redback?

The ignore option in the forum will do wonders in this situation 😆.

Edited by George16