Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi, I'm bad. Advice please?

lroy

I've been shooting matches about 6 months. This is my first time having someone record me. The resulting video is way different than what I thought I was doing in my head. 

I tried to go through it myself and see areas to improve, but would really appreciate outside feedback and what others think would be the most beneficial to work on for the biggest improvement. 

What I noticed was 

1. Draw was slow - Roughly a 7 yard HS. Took too long to confirm. - My dryfire draws are fast, this was not. Need more practice live to reinforce confidence. 

2. Don't move immediately after finished with target. I move like a boat trying to pick up speed. Work on really kicking off the ground to accelerate harder. 

3. Don't move fast enough between positions. Once I do get moving, it's not at a quick enough pace.

4. Don't stop to engage position 3, move directly to port and shoot on move. 

5. Shoot the port targets on move while walking to last position. 

6. Be ready to fire once you get into position. Have the gun up and ready. Stutter step to slow down and steady sights before target becomes visible.

------------------

Those are things I thought I could work on. I'm not ultra confident in hitting partials on the move yet, hence my hard stops to engage, but it's something I would like to be able to do soon.

I think the lowest hanging fruit would be to really focus on moving hard and being ready once I get into position, then pushing out hard to the next. It seems like that ate up the most time for me, but I'd really appreciate the advice of people with more experience.

A big one is mounting the gun sooner; at around :22-ish that thing should have been mounted already as you entered that far right position. 

If you are concerned about your draw time on a tough target, make sure your dryfire includes...…...drawing to a tough target. Probably not a marksmanship problem, so live fire not indicated. 

How were your hits?

Thanks for taking the time to give me feedback. Really appreciate it.

The scoring is more similar to IDPA, so it was 8 points down. More or less like 8 charlies. with 13 targets and 1 steel. The time was 13 seconds.

I'll focus on getting the gun up and ready before I settle into position. That does seem like the biggest time sink.

Edited by lroy

Mike Seeklander has a good drill for getting/keeping the gun mounted. He's got a website and probably all over youtube. 

Shooting on the move is not ALWAYS the answer; it's like a tool in your tool box that you use SOMETIMES, when appropriate. I'm not sure that those port targets called for shooting on the move. 

When I first started I created a standardized doctrine; I got a little dogmatic about it but it really helped when I was first starting out and trying to break down a stage

1 hour ago, konkapot said:

Mike Seeklander has a good drill for getting/keeping the gun mounted. He's got a website and probably all over youtube. 

Shooting on the move is not ALWAYS the answer; it's like a tool in your tool box that you use SOMETIMES, when appropriate. I'm not sure that those port targets called for shooting on the move. 

When I first started I created a standardized doctrine; I got a little dogmatic about it but it really helped when I was first starting out and trying to break down a stage

Thanks I'll check that out.

Unless it's open and close, I can't move too quickly If I want to get decent hits on it. I try to be realistic with where I am currently at, then kind of half it under match pressure.

I'm not sure what you mean by Doctrine? Can you clarify?

• 2 months later...

You aren't prepping movement at all. After you stop shooting you decide "now i'll initiate my movement", then you run somewhere, stop and initiate a sight picture to aim.

Like others said, get the gun up sooner. The new thing I'm bringing here is to initiate movement before you are finished shooting. A slight lean will do it at first, but once you get to know your shooting ability and speed, and movement ability you can take it a lot further. The idea is that when you decide to start moving you can start moving immediately as you have already prepped yourself to be in a position which allows you to start fast.

It's called easy exit and there's a crapload of info on easy/hard exit/entry!