Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stove pipes. Need lighter recoil spring?

Lucreau

Got my S2 slide back from getting cut up for CO. Running an 11lb recoil spring. Got maybe 5 stove pipes in 400 rounds today. Would I need a lighter recoil spring?? Or a heavier spring to give the case more time to extract 

949523DB-256D-4270-A9A3-8C768863841D.jpeg

Edited by Lucreau

I’m running off the shelf magtech 124gr 9mm. Haven’t chrono’d yet, but with their on the box velocity should be around 135PF. I ordered a 10lb spring, and also an extra power extractor spring to see if that’ll help rip the case out better

Looks like your extractor has let go before engaging the ejector, that or you have a damaged ejector. Not real familiar with CZ/Tanfo geometry, but I'd say you have an ejector/extraction problem not a recoil spring problem. Thats way down there. already.
How far is your brass flying that does eject ?

Any chance your machining or one of the optic screws somehow is interfering with the extractor? I’d pull the top end apart and inspect it, with a new extractor spring ready to be installed while I was in there.

On a tanfo at least, you can slide an empty case up into the breechface beneath the extractor and it should hold onto it pretty aggressively.

So I got the gun in and it went right out for milling so I hadn’t shot it in its stock configuration. 
im able to put a piece of brass in the breach face and knock it on my work bench and it holds the brass. 
I did order an extra power extractor spring and a 10# recoil spring. 
one thing I did realize is that the shadow 2 comes with a shock buff installed, and to me the stroke is very short. I’ll be pulling the shock buff as well to help the slide move more rearward. 

The gun is made to run with the shock buff, leave it. Again, my guess is the added weight of the optic is slowing down the slide a lot. You may even need a 9lb spring. That optic looks heavy.

In my 9mm 1911, I run a 10lb spring, sometimes going to 9lb. So that 11lb spring, with the added weight of the optic, is slowing down the slide a lot.

1 hour ago, Postal Bob said:

The gun is made to run with the shock buff, leave it. Again, my guess is the added weight of the optic is slowing down the slide a lot. You may even need a 9lb spring. That optic looks heavy.

In my 9mm 1911, I run a 10lb spring, sometimes going to 9lb. So that 11lb spring, with the added weight of the optic, is slowing down the slide a lot.

I got a 10lb and a 9lb spring headed my way, hopefully that’ll do the trick 

• 1 month later...