Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Trentmopar

Current Stage Design Software

I know this topic has been beat to death but just making sure there aren't any new Stage Design software programs that I am not aware of.  Of course I would prefer free but I just want to know what is the best software available at this time.

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, Trentmopar said:

I know this topic has been beat to death but just making sure there aren't any new Stage Design software programs that I am not aware of.  Of course I would prefer free but I just want to know what is the best software available at this time.

Thanks in advance!

Best option right now is Sketchup. Sketchup Make is probably the best version to use - they’re no longer updating it, but the latest version is available for free and, unlike the current (and still updated) version of Sketchup Free, it can be used offline. 

Sketchup is great but I am seeing more and more people using the 3d stage builder kits, I think they are probably a good idea for people that are not super computer savvy or who don't have a fast computer, I do stages in sketchup but almost never do them at home because the speed of my home computer is so much slower than my CAD workstation at work.

I use word, have props, targets etc. Cut, paste, resize to my liking and it's simple.

I use PowerPoint that I’ve got a template for 

I use Power Point.

I hate all the software options right now. I spent the money on the 3D kits and am much happier (other than the cat walking across the desk knocking things over)

I don't have to design any stages but I like working on it especially now due to the cancellation of matches. Just prior to the article appearing in the USPSA magazine I opted to buy the 3D Stage Planner after stumbling across it on the Alpha Dynamics website. I love this thing. Its pretty well equipped as received although I have ordered a few additional items just because I wanted them. You can easily get by with what is included the package.

I'm fortunate that I can submit some ideas to my local MD and likely get some used. Hope so anyway. It has relieved some boredom resulting from virus restrictions and incessant rain.Otherwise I would be making enough ammo to last years and that's true even though between me and my shooting friend we shoot about 70,000 rounds per year. I have two 1050's both automated and for better or worse could make one hell of a lot of ammo until I ran out of components.

The set has few problems the worst of which is dealing with targets and target stands and sticks falling apart when you handle them. As someone pointed out its best to assemble these targets and glue them together. That's pretty much why I ordered a few additional items to have more sticks and targets and a couple of targets not included in the set.This is absolutely not required. I just did it cause I could.

I see from the magazine that NROI is accepting and even encouraging stages for approval be submitted with pictures taken of 3D Stage Planner stages.I can see why. Its very easy to see from the models where risk/reward target opportunities exist in the stage. It actually encourages designers to include more such opportunities to test your guts.

If you are bored with shooting restrictions get yourself a 3D Stage Designer kit. The damn things are additive. I agree with the comment above that they are cat magnets.

I personally prefer the templates I have in Excel.

I know it is not a spreadsheet, but many years ago Russ Cluver put together a nice set-up with excel and I found it was easier than powerpoint.

Jay