Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions on if I Should Mill my G34 Slide for Red Dot

LHshooter

I am thinking of putting my Vortex Venom on my Glock 34 Gen 4 but not sure if what I want to do makes sense in terms of preserving the stock gun. My preferred option was to buy a stripped MOS slide, so I could maintain my factory pistol,  but the asking prices are insane, almost as much as a pistol. Even the non-MOS G34 slides have crazy prices. So, I am now thinking of having my factory slide milled for my Venom. I did this for my G17 but was able to buy an aftermarket slide for the red dot, preserving my original slide. The issue is, if I have the slide milled, I will lose the rear dovetail so the slide could no longer have iron sights. I could have a new dovetail milled in front of the optic, but to me that looks stupid having the sight 2 inches farther forward from the back of the slide.

I don't plan on ever selling my pistol, but you never know. Is milling the slide and losing the dovetail a dumb thing to do? I guess I could always hope that in the future slide prices will come down to reality or reasonably priced aftermarket G34 slides will be for sale.

Anyone with an opinion please chime in, especially if you did something similar or thought about it.

Thanks

You could also add a plate that fits into the dovetail. While not optimum, it will let you add a red dot, that you could remove later if you wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, dskinsler83 said:

Just get you a lonewolf gen3 G34 slide and have them mill it. 

I looked into Lone Wolf when I bought their slide for my G17. Almost positive their G34 slides are only for Gen 3, not Gen 4 or 5. I'll have to call them to verify.

1 hour ago, dskinsler83 said:

Agency arms (I think) also has a new plate system. You send your slide to them to cut it and add a plate. There are multiple options for the plate. 

Thanks for that info. I checked out their website and right now they don't offer a plate option for my optic but they say they will be adding more options. I'll call them to see if the Venom is on their bucket list. If not, maybe I'll have an excuse for the wife why I need to buy another optic.

1 hour ago, Southpaw said:

I wouldn't want to mill a slide for a proprietary cut like the Venom, especially if you lose the dovetail cut so can't go back to irons...

That's the decision I'm grappling with. I'm on the fence.

After I posted above I saw you said in another thread that you already have a 17 slide milled for a Venom. Why not just use that instead of cutting up another slide? There's not really an advantage to 34 over 17 for CO.

12 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

After I posted above I saw you said in another thread that you already have a 17 slide milled for a Venom. Why not just use that instead of cutting up another slide? There's not really an advantage to 34 over 17 for CO.

But you look cooler with the 34.

If it were me, I would just buy an MOS slide and be done with it. Then you can run any dot you want. In 3 months you’ll forget what you paid, and you know it will be done right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, LHshooter said:

Is milling the slide and losing the dovetail a dumb thing to do?

you don't have to lose the dovetail, at least with the milling companies i looked at.  they can mill it in front of the dovetail.  also you could have it milled at the back, thus losing the dovetail, and they could cut a dovetail in front of the milling (more expensive option of course with 2x milling).

personally i wanted the milling as far back as possible to help keep the optic back from the chamber exhaust and flying brass, and not using a rear iron sight so no dovetail needed.  i bought a slide from zeroed in armory and had them mill it for my dot (vortex viper).  they had a super black friday sale if you can wait that long, basically buy the blank slide and milling and slide cuts were free.  not sure if they have g34 slides though and of course no guarantee they'll repeat that sale.