Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex 1-6 sales & deals

JGT

Now that the 1-10 razor is hitting the market, is the price of the 1-6 likely to drop?

Are there any good seasonal sales or deals coming up in the next few months? I have seen the 1-6 for around $1k-1100 at times.

Should I just get the viper? Is it really 85% of the glass quality for half the price? I shoot to 400 yards max locally.

Thank you!

I've been fully satisfied with a Viper, and I shot out to 300. However, it sounds like you really want the Razor, so get what you desire! If you don't mind used, I've seen the Razor 1-6s go for under 1k.

I have a 1-6 Razor that has been on various carbines being thrown in barrels since 2015 without a hiccup.  I have looked through the Viper and they are nice.  I think the Razors are built tougher.  I have shot in several matches out to 500.  I happened to go to a 700 yard range Sunday and was hitting steel pretty easily on 6x.  I thought I could see the targets well.  I have to admit I would like a 1-10.  I am only doing three gun so 1-6 is fine.  If there is an inordinate amount of profit in the Razor 1-6 then maybe a price cut.  I don't think that is the case with the competition that is out there.  I bought a used Razor off here used and now I want another.  There is the VIP warranty and you do not have to be the original purchaser.  

If money is an issue, get a Viper.

I bought the Razor and it arrived this morning. All of this has been said by people far more skilled and experienced than me, but for what it's worth here are my initial impressions and comparison with my two prior scopes, the Burris mtac and Steiner p4xi. The mtac was my first lpvo, I got it 5 or 6 years ago and I've had the Steiner on another rifle for maybe 2 years now. I haven't owned any high-end stuff like kahles, swaro etc so I don't have match experience using scopes further up the ladder.

The razor is pretty darn clear. I'm not wowed by the glass clarity because the Steiner's is nearly on par but it is very good. Both leave the mtac in the dust, it seems cloudy and blurry in comparison. Where the razor really stands out to me is that the eyebox is so big I couldn't decide how far forward or back to mount it on the rifle. 1x is by far the best I've personally used, the fov is huge and the ocular ring completely disappears in use. Overall, I see what the fuss is about, this will be fun to use in a match, especially for close-up burner stages.

That being said, if you can live with 4x, I think the Steiner is 80% as good (70% on 1x and 90% magnified) for less than a third the cost (I got it for around $400). The eyebox on the steiner is definitely not as forgiving and the 1x isn't quite as good either, but the glass clarity is really impressive for the price. It hasn't broken through many matches and two classes and I bang my stuff around pretty mercilessly.

I do think the razor will have a minor advantage up close, but it may not be measurable on a timer. Sometimes the difference in gear is more about confidence / ease and repeatability of achieving a certain standard.