Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shell Tech Cases in a Dillon 1050 ?

TheStagePlan

I did an initial pass here but now having some serious issues  with the shell plate full. on the upstroke of the decapping die the case gets stuck which jars the shell plate so bad it empties the power out of the rest of the cases I  have tried every combination with height and spring pressure case lubes and greases so far no luck..Update Currently Checking out some

info from the die manufacturer....https://s3reload.com/technology/

Edited by TheStagePlan

28 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

hopefullY john will chime in. I linked him to this.

From his instagram’s comments:

Thanks, Max. Yup, I've already messaged him with my input.

For everyone else, these cases come in the bag sized and slightly flared. Simply flare a little and load as normal. Once they are fired, then you need to use the resizing die and adjust accordingly.

Thanks that actually makes sense I always do my de capping then cleaning now anyway..But I Do you like  de priming a second pass after cleaning just as a sanity test, when I’m going to load. I guess I will just have to inspect each case after cleaning to be sure there’s no foreign objects in the primer pocket. Setting primers off like that is not fun 🤪..

Who  knows maybe the die will loosen up and smooothen out. Looking forward to someone’s finding some solutions to these cases the spring die would be awesome if hydraulic or a self captured adjustable unit 

Things I like

Expanding Die especially with the 1050 with  swager.  I guess that is my second sanity check if allow myself to think out load here..🤐 if there were a object in the primer pocket  I guess I’d feel I there. And the expanding die is silky smooth 

Case

Finish consistency lubricity and concentricity  are all amazing. Primers pocket are very nice 

Edited by TheStagePlan

Thanks definitely a good bit of Tech in that article. 👍 I am experiencing most of the same issues in the article like the shell and Case head pulling apart from each other. When you look at them in a hundo case gauge there about as flat as a  hand cut wooden bridge however they do slide in nicely. I played with the de capping die again...🤢 I’m leaning more towards this being nice to pick up with a magnet to put  in a recycling bucket  and just buy new bulk cases each time.🤑

Factory Case Length 

Case Length After Pressing  

Sammi Max is .754

.7580-.7635 That quite a bit of stretch 🙁

problem is it appears to be doing it on the crimping die. 

I am super excited to shoot it I will run some through the chrono tomorrow. 

Edited by TheStagePlan

Speaking of separating cases, a few guys were using these at a major a few years back and apparently crimped the bejesus out of them using soft lead bullets. CHRONO could not pull the bullets because the cases separated in the bullet puller. 
 Being magnetic is nice though.😊

Yeah Before they shipped I tried to cancel but customer service never responded 🤦🏽‍♂️. So I figure will continue working through the problems. So far I’m about 5 hours in and have about 50 in the hundo and a hundo in the trash and the 50 in the Hundo  are above Saami spec so they are about to join the trash pile also. 😿

End of night update I still haven’t gotten anything that I feel comfortable shooting the issue I’m having is the crimping die grabs the cases causing it to separate and unfortunately the only way to solve this is by opening up the crimp and at .3800 the bullet pushes in  back the  case to easily  in fact even with the case at .376-378 I slips with the Montana gold bullets.  

Edited by TheStagePlan

You can try to clean and lube (frequently) the crimp die so it doesn't grab. 

The SS NAS3 cases are unique and genuinely require the special sizing die. I found that my Dillon 650 expander funnel worked to bell the cases, but perhaps not all other brands (presses) would work as well, and they might require the special expansion die to work properly. 

This is at 139 PF I’d like to drop down to 132-135 PF .2 grains reduction of powder sounds safe to get into that range ?  

Also so how much neck tension should I have? If I push a loaded case into my loading bench I definitely can get the OAL to change with firm thumb pressure  if I crimp more the die sticks and separates the case. Trying to find a happy medium

Edited by TheStagePlan

The Dillon crimp die seems to have a pretty aggressive taper.  I think that's why it seems to stick more than other taper crimp dies.  Try a different brand.  I think Lee has the least aggressive taper.

As for the bullet set back, try backing off the S3 expander a little bit and adjust the Dillon powder die do the last bit of case belling for starting the bullet.  The crimp should only be for ironing out the case bell, not for stopping bullet set back.

Be very generous with the lube!  The One Shot isn't very slick, so you could also try a different brand.

Edited by Ming the Merciless