Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match with no classifier

Malarky112

Just curious how many of you have shot a level 1 match that didn’t include a classifier stage?
Been shooting a few years now and just shot my first match without a classifier stage. Fun match but was kind of bummed since I’m trying to classify for CO. 

Getting to be a little bit more common in my neck of the woods, saves the clubs a bit of $ by not doing one every match and opens up the opportunity to add a fun speed shoot without taking away from those who want to put a lot of rounds down range.

Seems like classifier matches are becoming more common also. Last year we set up one with 2 classifiers per bay on 3 bays and then 3 regular stages, would not want to do that routinely but it was a fun match. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

One club around here has its match on the fourth Sunday of the month.  No classifiers, just stages.  On the few months with five Sundays, they do an all classifier match (six of them usually) on that 5th Sunday.

All the other clubs have one classifier and four to five stages.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

2 hours ago, Malarky112 said:

was kind of bummed since I’m trying to classify for CO. 

But on the other hand there are far more shooters who are classified and just want to shoot field courses with the occasional classifier.

You need to look around for an all classifier match which are fairly common in early season

Every match I shoot has one classifier, except for monster matches, outlaw matches and the like.  I couldn't care less about classifiers.  They are a pain to set up and no fun to shoot.  I'd much rather shoot an imaginatively conceived fun stage in lieu of.

17 hours ago, Sarge said:

But on the other hand there are far more shooters who are classified and just want to shoot field courses with the occasional classifier.

You need to look around for an all classifier match which are fairly common in early season

Normally I’d agree with you but at this particular match we had 34 out of 60 listed as “unclassified”. 

Also like others usually id much prefer a regular stage over a classifier. The one thing I do like about classifiers is it’s a good way to judge if you’ve been improving or not. 

Edited by Malarky112

Our weekly USPSA matches on Tuesday and Friday night don't have classifier's, the monthly matches do.

After you have gotten classified,  the classifiers don't really matter much.

Throughout the year the clubs will have a classifier match.

• 4 weeks later...

We do to 5 stage matches a month in the summer.  I try to have one 5 stage match and one 4 stage plus a classifier but that depends on how many people will plan and build a stage.  No help generally means two 4 plus 1 matches.  We also do 1 supper classier at the start of the year and one at the end.