Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi tek coating issues

Lthompson

I have fully read through the instructions like 12 times and followed them to a T. When I apply the hi tek coating, it comes out looking great, passes the acetone test, the hammer test, and I even do both of those tests after sizing to make sure they still hold up. The problem comes in when I shoot. When they are shot, there is a thick black smoke, and I havent gotten this much lead fowling in my bores since i shot old muzzleloaders with damn near pure lead. Any ideas as to why it passes the tests but smokes and leads really bad. BTW, I have the black hi tek coating, which is what I'm pretty sure is causing the black smoke

I have cast and coated my 9mm and 40 S&W for years. First, have you slugged your bore? One of my 9’s bore slugged .356 so I needed to size .357. .357 worked in all my 9’s. Second I would check to make sure your crimp isn’t too much. I would pull a bullet or 2 to ensure your crimp is not damaging the coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate the responses. No I havent slugged my barrel. I probably should. I know that I've never had any issues when using powder coat. I've just now had issues since using the hi tek. I'm gonna load some more up tonight so I'll see if theres any changes I can make

Give us a little more information about your load (bullet weight, powder charge, crimp measurement etc.). Also, post some pictures of your coated bullets and completed rounds.

Edited by 4n2t0

• 1 month later...

eather your oven is not getting hot enough or you are not baking them long enough to fully cure.

a partial cured bullet will pass the wipe and smash test.but will smoke. You'll also have that burning

"palmier" smell. its not the total time its the time after the bullets reach temp.

LOL that stuff is junk no matter how you apply it. No surprise at all. I keep telling people this. I was one of those fools that bought into it (nearly 2 thousand $$$ worth from several bullet companies) that found out the hard and expensive way that coating is junk. I wasted so much time, energy and money experimenting with bayou, acme and two others......I finally gave up!   NO MORE Hi-ghly Crap-Tek bullets! Ugh!

And all the ones that I had left I melted down to hand cast my 300 Blackout bullets. What a waste of money......

Edited by Glockster1
my device crapped out in mid post

you know lots of people have shot 100s of thousands of hi teck with no issues

you are the only person ive herd with issues. witch could be how you load .

post is directed toward Glockster1 mr J-Ames

Edited by AHI

On March 17, 2020 at 5:15 PM, ExStreetWalker said:

Slug the bore.  That's the most important thing I can give you with 9mm.

Yes especially 9mm, due to variances in bore between manufacturers.  Just like old school lubed lead proper sizing is vital.

Try a bit extra bake time AT temp.

Once you are dialed in on sizing check pre-seating flare and post crimp to ensure coating is not compromised.  

On 3/17/2020 at 6:15 PM, ExStreetWalker said:

Slug the bore.  That's the most important thing I can give you with 9mm.

I slugged one brand-new 9mm "match" barrel (supposedly a "match" barrel) that REALLY surprised me.  I expected 0.355" or so, but it slugged at 0.3566"!  😲  

If I hadn't found out the true bore diameter of that barrel, I would have never known why it didn't shoot as I expected.  

Edited by Ken6PPC

I have been playing with HiTek in my X54 Vepr.... That certainly does require bore slugging. But for 9mm, I really can’t believe it’s that important with HiTek. There are thousands of folks buying stock sized HiTek bullets from dozens of manufacturers. You rarely hear a complaint. I am convinced it’s due to reloading method (likely overcrimped). Like I said above, pull some finished rounds to see how they look. I pulled some 45 colt rounds I made which had most of the coating scraped off. I really like the Lee FCD but they are not great with HiTek. Oddly, I never had a problem when I used Powder coating... HiTek is just so thin I guess. 

6 hours ago, DJRyan13 said:

I have been playing with HiTek in my X54 Vepr.... That certainly does require bore slugging. But for 9mm, I really can’t believe it’s that important with HiTek. There are thousands of folks buying stock sized HiTek bullets from dozens of manufacturers. You rarely hear a complaint. I am convinced it’s due to reloading method (likely overcrimped). Like I said above, pull some finished rounds to see how they look. I pulled some 45 colt rounds I made which had most of the coating scraped off. I really like the Lee FCD but they are not great with HiTek. Oddly, I never had a problem when I used Powder coating... HiTek is just so thin I guess. 

Not in my case. I don't even fully crimp my rounds. They still have a little bell mouth left on the case mouth. I barrel rifling slug every barrel I shoot. And that Hi-ghly CrapTek coating doesn't hold up well. You get leading, smoke, it's not resistant or heat resistant to some smokeless powders and it's just not worth the hassle. It's not the lead bullet, it's the thin junk candy powder coating paint mixed with keytones solvents that those bullets are coated with that's the Junk.

I would rather buy plain hard cast lead bullets with a hard wax lube than WASTE another dollar on those POS Hi-ghly Crap-Tek coated bullets. 

Tell use what you really feel about HiTek, Glockster1? 😀 

no worries... I have same issue with certain rounds. Just got to find the right gun/ammo combo. You have to admit it does work for most people. Not necessarily placing blame but you can’t say it is as bad as you say when it works for most. 

• 4 months later...

You may also want to check the type Of hardness of your lead. Wheel weights will be softer and under too high pressures will most def melt some of that lead regardless of the coating. Try to find something like 92% lead, 6% antimony and 2% tin. That’s what some manufacturers use. 

• 2 months later...

Chapo,  Exactly what I was thinking while reading this posting.  I'm curious if BHN might be playing a part in the consistently bad results Glockster1 is getting.   I've reloaded and shot ~1,000 Hi-Tek bullets from one cast bullet supplier and have not noticed any glaring problems, but I'm now curious if I can detect any differences between lubed and coated.