Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Pistol Dilemma

streckjc

I have a dilemma I’d like some opinions on.

I’m looking to upgrade my pistol for Limited division for next season, but looking early to start gathering the upgrades, mags, gunsmith work, etc. now so she’ll be ready sometime in the fall for testing and practice.

I’m currently shooting a P226 Legion SAO, 9mm that i shot last year and really like the fit and feel in my hands. I’ve found the 2011 isn’t going to work for me, so it’s out. I’ll be staying minor scoring for now as well.

Here are my 3 options I’ve come up with, taking into account cost, availability, build quality, after market parts, etc, etc.
- Sig P320 X5 Legion, 9mm. TTI extension base pads, GGI competition trigger kit, Springer Precision Tungsten guide rod & extended mag release.
-  Tanfoglio Limited Custom, 9mm. Henning extension base pads, probably flat trigger kit, upgraded recoil system,probably springs kit, and possibly an extended mag release.
- CZ Shadow 2 9mm. TTI or Armory Craft extension base pads, Armory Craft tactical SAO trigger conversion, extended ambi-safety, upgraded recoil system, probably springs kit, and Armory Craft magwell.

Some after market parts may vary, but these are my thoughts thus far.

What is everyone’s opinion? Don’t try to sell me what think I should do. Explain to me what you would do and why. Hopefully you’ll give me things to think about and consider. Thanks.

7 hours ago, streckjc said:

. Explain to me what you would do and why.

First i would figure out why a 2011 wouldn't work, and if at  possible make it work, because they are the best for limited.  If it is price i understand, but if it ain't price i would figure it out.  If price is the issue, GLock, XDM, and M&P are all decent cheaper options that you can get in 40 cal, may be some others out there, but those come to mind quick

Second, I wouldn't consider shooting minor.  It will just lead to frustration, as it is the biggest differentiator in the division behind the person pulling the trigger.

Third, i see in your tagline or whatever it is called, that you have a P230.  If you are stuck on the 9mm, just shoot it with some big base pads and don't waste any money building a "better" minor limited gun, cause there is no such thing as a "better minor limited gun" and any money applied there is wasted

7 hours ago, streckjc said:

I want to upgrade my P226 SAO 9mm for Limited division.

I  like the fit and feel in my hands. I’ll be staying minor scoring.

my 3 options :

-  Sig P320 X5 Legion, 
-  Tanfoglio Limited Custom,
-  CZ Shadow 2 9mm.

Questions :

1.  what don't you like about your current gun ?

2.  why stay minor ?

3.  Do you currently have a C card in USPSA ?

4.  What would you like to improve to next year ?

Any of those guns would be fine but I wouldn't bother "upgrading" to another 9mm. Makes no sense. Get one of the guns on your list and shoot Production, or put a dot on them and shoot Co since it's minor only. Limited with a 9mm is a losing proposal.

Signed,

bUt I OnLy cOmPeTe AgAiNsT MySeLf

What would I do? Well I just bought a Legion, dropped in a GG trigger and stuck a SRO on it to shoot CO. Not going to bother with the tung guide rod, or the extended mag release. I'd rather just buy more bullets with that money. 

What I would not do? buy anything to shoot Limited minor. 

First off, a Sig P226 is not ideal for any sport that requires fast double taps.  The bore is too high above the grip (excessive muzzle rise).  Second, if you are going to buy a new Limited gun, why on earth are you considering 9mm?  Buy a 40sw.  If you don't reload shoot WWB 165 @ 1000 fps out of a 5" barrel or longer.  If you are serious enough about Limited to buy a new gun, you are serious enough for a 40sw.  If not, just shoot your P226 and be done with it.

On 3/9/2020 at 9:29 AM, waktasz said:

Any of those guns would be fine but I wouldn't bother "upgrading" to another 9mm. Makes no sense. Get one of the guns on your list and shoot Production, or put a dot on them and shoot Co since it's minor only. Limited with a 9mm is a losing proposal.

Signed,

bUt I OnLy cOmPeTe AgAiNsT MySeLf

This

On 3/9/2020 at 10:49 AM, motosapiens said:

spending money to shoot limited minor is dumb. all the  non-2011 mfrs you list also make 40 cal guns. 

And this

On 3/9/2020 at 11:07 AM, Racinready300ex said:

What would I do? Well I just bought a Legion, dropped in a GG trigger and stuck a SRO on it to shoot CO. Not going to bother with the tung guide rod, or the extended mag release. I'd rather just buy more bullets with that money. 

What I would not do? buy anything to shoot Limited minor. 

And this

I’d rather shoot a G22 popo trade in with a connector and +2 basepads than a $5000 9mm in Limited. 

Seems to be a theme developing! LTD minor is not a wise choice. If you are stuck on shooting LTD, buy a .40. If you want to shoot only 9mm, pick another division; Production or CO.

When I was starting out, many time I was given good advice but stubbornly went my own way. It cost me a lot of money trading gear and guns when I finally saw the light. Don’t be like me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

The Sig P320 will cover Prod and CO (9mm) or, you can configure it for limited (40cal).  Red dot is about $300, about the same cost for top end to convert to 40 cal for limited then add mags.   Cant go wrong.  

I'm shooting CO this season with a p320 and an X series weighted grip($70). Love it.  The only must have is really the GGI trigger.  The x series grip is really comfortable.  

On 3/9/2020 at 1:11 AM, streckjc said:

I have a dilemma I’d like some opinions on.

I’m looking to upgrade my pistol for Limited division for next season, but looking early to start gathering the upgrades, mags, gunsmith work, etc. now so she’ll be ready sometime in the fall for testing and practice.

I’m currently shooting a P226 Legion SAO, 9mm that i shot last year and really like the fit and feel in my hands. I’ve found the 2011 isn’t going to work for me, so it’s out. I’ll be staying minor scoring for now as well.

Here are my 3 options I’ve come up with, taking into account cost, availability, build quality, after market parts, etc, etc.
- Sig P320 X5 Legion, 9mm. TTI extension base pads, GGI competition trigger kit, Springer Precision Tungsten guide rod & extended mag release.
-  Tanfoglio Limited Custom, 9mm. Henning extension base pads, probably flat trigger kit, upgraded recoil system,probably springs kit, and possibly an extended mag release.
- CZ Shadow 2 9mm. TTI or Armory Craft extension base pads, Armory Craft tactical SAO trigger conversion, extended ambi-safety, upgraded recoil system, probably springs kit, and Armory Craft magwell.

Some after market parts may vary, but these are my thoughts thus far.

What is everyone’s opinion? Don’t try to sell me what think I should do. Explain to me what you would do and why. Hopefully you’ll give me things to think about and consider. Thanks.

X5 for simplicity of the same trigger pull and modularity. If you decide you want to change devisions you can pop off the magwell throw an adapter plate and optic on there. Flat trigger from the factory that isn't total crap and its striker fire so for ammo you can really just use whatever you want. Doesn't have all the limitations of needing to know chamber length and all the other fun stuff... its also very simple to breakdown for cleaning and if you break something internal you can just pop a new fire control unit in and be good to go. You don't need an entirely different backup gun on stand by.

If you don't mind that first trigger pull of DA/SA or being the guy who has to custom order all of his reloading stuff so your gun will function properly then go with hammer fire. They also make a flat trigger for the CZ as well not just a tanfo. In case you weren't aware.

5 hours ago, scroadkill said:

so here is my 2 cents..

go shoot that P226 in limited minor until you make B class.. and learn the game.. save your money or buy a press you can convert from 9 to 40.

Then re-evaluate.

The thing about limited is you will really need to reload.

I'd completely agree with this. 

I first got into competitive shooting after the Army in IDPA and used my 40 xdm but quickly realized it's expensive and picked up a Glock 17. I shot limited minor after switching to USPSA and 3 gun with a Glock 34 Ive since picked up as factory 9mm was a lot cheaper than 40.

This past winter I picked up a Dillon 550 and will return to.40 if the season ever starts up again as the difference in cost from reloading between the two is only 1-2 cents.

I've been being tempted into getting a 2011 or maybe the new DWX but I think I'll end up with an 1100 or Evo before that so it can fully feed my next limited blaster.

Edited by Intheshaw1

• 3 weeks later...

I dont understand your dilema.

You said. 2011 is out.... ok kind of silly because you just dismissed best competition gun for Limited and Open divisions.

You said. currently shooting a P226 Legion SAO, 9mm that i shot last year and really like the fit and feel in my hands.

Recommendation - If you like your P226 in 9mm and it fits you well and you absolutely set on shooting Minor in Limited division...... KEEP SHOOTING YOUR P226 and just have fun.

If you want X5 and all the cool stuff for it..... You should put a dot on it and play in Carry Optics division.

If you want Shadow 2 and all the cool stuff for it..... You should Play in Production Division or with Shadow 2 CO play in Carry Optics division.

Otherwise you are just buying toys to play in wrong division. But Its your money and if that is what you like and its fun..... you dont need to ask anyone's  opinion.