Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjustable front sight

JAB

So I have this 686 sitting in the safe  for the last 7 or 8 years never shot it I got on a trade but the person never told me it had one of these plastic  adjustable front sight on it. I hate them I bern told from a gunsmith that I'm prity much stuck with them because  of how smith and Wesson  put them on the barrel. My other choice  I can see would be to cut the barrel shorter and put on the sights I want but living up here in Canada finding a good gunsmith is like picking the winning ticket for  the lottery and then there the cost $$$$ so I thought that someone  on here might  know if a new type of sight can be put on sorry I dont have a picture of it 

To castrate the barrel, to remove the front sight, make it a tad shorter than 4" - prohib.  A friend found that out.

You have 2 choices.

1.  Find a 6" barrel for your model and have it cut and installed.  It will be harder to find the barrel.

2. Sell the gun and buy another one.  The better option.

I have one too. It’s for silhouette shooting. You can set 4 different heights for specific distances and then it’s easy to rotate the wheel under the sight for each sight. I haven’t shot mine in years. My kids will someday get to figure out what to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, don't think that's plastic.

Maybe the owner has a collectable here and can figure a trade of some sort to get what he wants/needs?

If not then I'm sure there's enough meat there to install a Weigand sight base and snap in front sight.

fsramp.jpg

Might look a bit funky but it should work.

Good luck.

This is a 6" 686 that I had castrated to just under 4.25", and still restricted, and the Weigand front sight base installed, along with a HiViz sight.

xNT6CPQ.jpg

Edited by RePete

• 2 weeks later...

Search it on gunbroker and you can easily find out.
Personally, I don’t think so. Does anyone even shoot silhouette or PPC anymore. I haven’t touched mine in over 10 years. My kids can figure out what to do with it someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk