Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Thick" 97 vs "Original" 85C Trigger..?

ck1

So this has been gone over before in the past, but things/parts change as far as what was available circa 2010ish vs now in 2020...

I think I want to swap out my S2's "Shadowline" trigger for a thicker one in order to move the trigger-face a little further forward (so in SA it doesn't break as far back towards the rear of the trigger-guard for me). I know I can drop in the "Thick" 97 trigger to get the feel I'm after, but in the past (circa 2010 or so) one could get a hold of a truly-original "original" version of the 85 Combat trigger that was the same exact thing in thickness and shape as the 97 trigger, only with a set-screw for over-travel (for the purposes of this post I'm going to call this the "original-original" one lol)...

Now, in 2020, CZ Custom's "original" 85C trigger says "redesigned to set the trigger as far back as possible" and in their pics looks thinner than the 97 trigger or the  "original-original" 85C one. Also, on CGW's site, they offer a "Old Style" trigger, which looks like it matches the "original-original" trigger's curve and shape, but sure looks thinner, and, a "Combat Trigger" which looks like it might be the new-style 85C trigger that is defiantly thinner and more curved than the "original-original" trigger.

So basically, anyone know which, or if any of the newer triggers offered are like the "original-original" 85C trigger..? I can live with dropping in the 97 trigger, but my gun does have a little over-travel and I don't mind the adjustment screw since I Red Loctite them then forget about them, so the "original-original" is preferred if I can find one..?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2020 at 4:04 PM, Tok36 said:

Why not buy a 97B trigger and have it drilled and tapped.

I don't know how to do that, whom to go to for that, or if it's even worth the trouble if CZC's "original" 85C trigger is close enough?

Tok36, that said, any chance you could tell me if the CZC Original 85C trigger would move the SA position a smidge further out versus the Shadowline trigger that comes stock in the S2 (I know they're basically the same shallow curve because of a helpful pic I found that you had posted a while back on another forum, but can't tell if it'll increase the SA reach a bit, which is what I'm trying to accomplish)..? You might be able to save me $50 finding out the hard way in case there isn't any difference lol...

I have the 85C triggers in both my SP01 Shadows.  When I had a Shadow 2, I tried one in it as well, and although the thickness of the trigger was a little forward of the stock 'Shadowline' trigger, the actual break is still pretty far back, farther back than on my Shadow 1's  That was part of the reason why I sold the Shadow 2, it's just how that gun is.  The new flat trigger may be an option too, if you can deal with the position in double action.

Edited by MoRivera

19 hours ago, MoRivera said:

I have the 85C triggers in both my SP01 Shadows.  When I had a Shadow 2, I tried one in it as well, and although the thickness of the trigger was a little forward of the stock 'Shadowline' trigger, the actual break is still pretty far back, farther back than on my Shadow 1's  That was part of the reason why I sold the Shadow 2, it's just how that gun is.  The new flat trigger may be an option too, if you can deal with the position in double action.

Thanks for the heads up 👍

I can deal where it breaks now, but it isn’t ideal for me and more forward would be better, guess I’ll live with it... I may end up going back to the S1 too at some point...

36 minutes ago, ck1 said:

Thanks for the heads up 👍

I can deal where it breaks now, but it isn’t ideal for me and more forward would be better, guess I’ll live with it... I may end up going back to the S1 too at some point...

Yeah it certainly isn't unshootable or the like, but with the Shadow 1 and the 85c trigger/competition hammer, the break and thickness is in just the right place for me.  I also like the original 'thicker' triggers on my Sigs, but whats weird is that I like a slightly shorter trigger reach than 'long' on a 1911.

35 minutes ago, MoRivera said:

Yeah it certainly isn't unshootable or the like, but with the Shadow 1 and the 85c trigger/competition hammer, the break and thickness is in just the right place for me.  I also like the original 'thicker' triggers on my Sigs, but whats weird is that I like a slightly shorter trigger reach than 'long' on a 1911.

Well, you're not the only weirdo then, here I am posting about finding the right trigger to push my CZ's SA-pull a bit forward/further out, yet all my 1911's eventually end up with the SVI/Infinity Short-Flat insert... so I get it lol. 😉

On 4/10/2020 at 2:40 PM, ck1 said:

I don't know how to do that, whom to go to for that, or if it's even worth the trouble if CZC's "original" 85C trigger is close enough?

Tok36, that said, any chance you could tell me if the CZC Original 85C trigger would move the SA position a smidge further out versus the Shadowline trigger that comes stock in the S2 (I know they're basically the same shallow curve because of a helpful pic I found that you had posted a while back on another forum, but can't tell if it'll increase the SA reach a bit, which is what I'm trying to accomplish)..? You might be able to save me $50 finding out the hard way in case there isn't any difference lol...

As far as i have established much like the Old Style 85c trigger the CZ97 Factroy trigger should push the pull distance out a bit. In my example the extra meat on the CZ97 trigger is on the face of the trigger rather than the back . It is a very small amount though, i am not sure that it would be enough to notice. This also assumes that all of the CZ97 triggers are uniform, it would not surprise me if they were inconsistent.

If you want one tapped i believe that you could order one directly from several of the custom shops tapped. If you are interested i would contact them directly.

12 hours ago, Tok36 said:

As far as i have established much like the Old Style 85c trigger the CZ97 Factroy trigger should push the pull distance out a bit. In my example the extra meat on the CZ97 trigger is on the face of the trigger rather than the back . It is a very small amount though, i am not sure that it would be enough to notice. This also assumes that all of the CZ97 triggers are uniform, it would not surprise me if they were inconsistent.

If you want one tapped i believe that you could order one directly from several of the custom shops tapped. If you are interested i would contact them directly.

Thanks!