Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

uspsa membership

mchapman

4 hours ago, Glockster1 said:

You wanna know an interesting fact?  Nowhere in the USPSA rules does it say you have to use your real name. But if you tell USPSA headquarters you're using a fake name, they will deny you membership.

Not directly, no ... But 10.6.1 does provide for a DQ for "dishonesty."  I would consider giving a fake name dishonest.  Would I invoke 10.6.1 and DQ you for it?  Possibly not, but I might consider it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Not directly, no ... But 10.6.1 does provide for a DQ for "dishonesty."  I would consider giving a fake name dishonest.  Would I invoke 10.6.1 and DQ you for it?  Possibly not, but I might consider it.

It's not dishonest unless there's a rules requirement to give  your real name.

would you dq a chick for fudging a bit when you asked her age, or weight?

How bout those guys that claim 10-round 1911 40 magazines run reliably? DQ for all of them?

Edited by motosapiens

Plenty of reasons someone might give a fake name at registration. I'd never DQ someone for it and actually I announce that scores will be posted to the internet during the shooters brief for people that are concerned about that.

USPSA doesn't give out a list of banned shooters so it's not like someone would even be trying to circumvent that.

ETA this is all for level 1 matches

Edited by ziebart
Added more text

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

Pro tip, Don't ever ask a chick with a gun those 2 questions. 

2 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

DQ for dishonesty huh. How many times have we seen guys run past targets without even looking at them and then argue with the RO that they shot at it but missed to avoid The FTE LOL. 

Looks to me like if you have a problem with USPSA publishing your membership and shooting results then your problem is much larger than USPSA. WTF are you so concerned about?

It is true the internet has opened my eyes to the people in my country. I'm not liking a lot of knowing about it. Scary!!

If you don't like the organization's policies you should not belong. I don't mean this in a mean or nasty way but quit thinking you're special.. You are not.nobody is obsessed with your "personal" information  Get over yourself

On 3/10/2020 at 4:31 PM, waktasz said:

Nothing says you have to use your real name when you sign up for USPSA or register for matches

We have Frito Bandito sign up frequently at several of the local matches.  There are a couple of other nom de guerres that shoot in this area, although I think one of them is actually a nom de plume, considering how he/she/it shoots.

One does so to escape the notice of an ex-wife, another so a current wife doesn't know.  ?????

On 3/8/2020 at 7:26 PM, Glockster1 said:

I think people also enjoy doing it for the same reasons people like Facebook and Twitter. I don't understand why. Especially this day in age in America where many different government agencies, and god knows what other trolls, collect that type of data on US citizens.

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/boingboing/original/4X/d/4/1/d411b11c4018b6572d736d27ed81b647f2ac8aff.jpg

22 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

The fact that you would even consider it is very disturbing

23 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Actually, that list CAN be accessed ... but you need the person's real name to look him up.

Can the MD check that list the morning of the match before shooting starts? As far as I was told the MD has to route the request up through sectional coordinator. It's not like looking someone's membership number up to verify their class on the website.

I'm not certain who has access ... I'm a certified RM and we have access.  Check with whoever has authority to upload results for your club and see if they can do it.  I'm pretty sure SCs and ADs have access.  However ... The search is by last name.  If someone were to give me a take name under this circumstance (and I found his real name was on the disavowed list) I would absolutely invoke 10.6.1, DQ him and contact HQ to report it.

Herr Schultz - I doubt I'll ever encounter such a scenario, but I would hope you to find my willingness to consider such action is not necessarily disturbing, given the right circumstances.

1 hour ago, ziebart said:

Can the MD check that list the morning of the match before shooting starts? As far as I was told the MD has to route the request up through sectional coordinator. It's not like looking someone's membership number up to verify their class on the website.

Not really. You'd have to enter everyone's name one at a time, as far as I know. 

Match directors can see the banned list.  But you must check the name one at a time.  It’s not like a list published of all banned shooters. Its like looking up any other shooter. Match directors can do it by name and not just member number though

Edited by Nathanb

On 3/13/2020 at 3:32 PM, motosapiens said:

It's not dishonest unless there's a rules requirement to give  your real name.

How bout those guys that claim 10-round 1911 40 magazines run reliably? DQ for all of them?

LMAO! Exactly. And that "dishonesty" remark someone else made from the USPSA rules was meant for a competitor who cheats or does something dishonest while competing to gain an advantage over other shooters. I hardly think anyone having a fake name would qualify for "dishonesty" and be due cause for a DQ.

Also, someone using a fake name on USPSA is just a way to maintain their privacy, (which you have a legal right to) and to retain pseudo-anonymity the same way most everyone does on this Brian Enos forum. 

Edited by Glockster1

Somewhere there's a long-ago post about shooting a major match with a bunch of burly dudes added late all with the improbable last name of 'Smith' or some such.   Some secret-ninja types getting some extra reps in.  Approved by the MD of course.

On 3/13/2020 at 10:45 AM, Racinready300ex said:

I signed up for a club match as Hugh Jass once. The stats guy figured me out and changed it though. 

Figured out as in noticing your cute petite tushie??

On 3/15/2020 at 2:09 PM, shred said:

Somewhere there's a long-ago post about shooting a major match with a bunch of burly dudes added late all with the improbable last name of 'Smith' or some such.   Some secret-ninja types getting some extra reps in.  Approved by the MD of course.

I thought they all had the same first name of John?   John Bigboote, John Smallberries, John Yaya, etc...