Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

uspsa membership

mchapman

I'm sure that it has been mentioned but I don't recall there being any talk of raising the membership dues has there? What I am seeing when trying to renew there is no longer an associate membership available to get if you do not want to get the magazine. It used to be $40 and the Mag. or $25 and no mag. I would just as soon not get the self promoting/backslapping mag and have just the membership. So it looks like $40 for a membership and a mag that you don't want plus you still don't get a hard copy rulebook.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that it has been mentioned but I don't recall there being any talk of raising the membership dues has there? What I am seeing when trying to renew there is no longer an associate membership available to get if you do not want to get the magazine. It used to be $40 and the Mag. or $25 and no mag. I would just as soon not get the self promoting/backslapping mag and have just the membership. So it looks like $40 for a membership and a mag that you don't want plus you still don't get a hard copy rulebook.
I thought I was going nuts. I renewed last week. I swore I paid $25 before and not $40 but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere so thought I was just mistaken.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Curious. Just checking my membership and it shows that my current is the $40 annual even though I did the $25 last July. Perhaps it's something they changed at the first of the year. This is the first I've seen anything about it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Don't renew and pay nothing. Membership is only required for Tier 2 and above USPSA matches. Of course, if you enjoy having them disclosing all  your personal information for the entire world to see on SCSA, and without the viewers/collectors even being USPSA members, then by all means, pay for a membership. 

I think people also enjoy doing it for the same reasons people like Facebook and Twitter. I don't understand why. Especially this day in age in America where many different government agencies, and god knows what other trolls, collect that type of data on US citizens. Different strokes for different folks I guess. 

Edited by Glockster1

1 hour ago, Glockster1 said:

Don't renew and pay nothing. Membership is only required for Tier 2 and above USPSA matches. Of course, if you enjoy having them disclosing all  your personal information for the entire world to see on SCSA, and without the viewers/collectors even being USPSA members, then by all means, pay for a membership. 

I think people also enjoy doing it for the same reasons people like Facebook and Twitter. I don't understand why. Especially this day in age in America where many different government agencies, and god knows what other trolls, collect that type of data on US citizens. Different strokes for different folks I guess. 

Please correct me if I am wrong here but I thought membership was required if you shoot more than 2 matches a year including level 1. I have no idea how they could enforce that though. 

This is what I see when logged in.
66707206fdf3565e00d75fb034aa92b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Scroll down to other memberships.

Individual shows 40
Other members in household shows $25

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, louu said:

Please correct me if I am wrong here but I thought membership was required if you shoot more than 2 matches a year including level 1. I have no idea how they could enforce that though. 

No, Sir. Not required. It's only required for Tier 2 or higher USPSA events. That includes SCSA Steel Challenge events. I shoot literally around 60 a year and that's what all eight clubs I mostly shoot at have also told be. You just have to register as "U"  "Unclassified" when you register for a Level I event.

Actually, you could register with a higher classification, but your shooting skills won't be acknowledged by USPSA or SCSA. You just shoot for fun. And that's all I care about.

Edited by Glockster1

48 minutes ago, Glockster1 said:

No, Sir. Not required. It's only required for Tier 2 or higher USPSA events. That includes SCSA Steel Challenge events. I shoot literally around 60 a year and that's what all eight clubs I mostly shoot at have also told be. You just have to register as "U"  "Unclassified" when you register for a Level I event.

Actually, you could register with a higher classification, but your shooting skills won't be acknowledged by USPSA or SCSA. You just shoot for fun. And that's all I care about.

That's awesome, looks like I'll have forty bucks more for the babysitter this year lol. 

Thanks man 

No you don't have to join. I shoot maybe 3-4 idpa shoots per year and I do not belong. But if I shot some every month I would join. I shoot usually 2 a month uspsa and I belong. I think that is the ethical thing to do. They provide a set of rules and structure to the game we enjoy.

Everyone has their own set of values and sense of fairness. Mine says if I partake of something I should support it. I try to help set-up at matches even when it's not my club. I want to be considered as more than just a taker who doesn't give back. YMMV

I haven’t shot a USPSA match in a couple of years, but I’m still a member and actually enjoy the magazine and try to support the advertisers in it when I can. It’s a shooting sport, so I don’t mind supporting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, egd5 said:

.....I shoot usually 2 a month uspsa and I belong. I think that is the ethical thing to do. They provide a set of rules and structure to the game we enjoy.

Everyone has their own set of values and sense of fairness. Mine says if I partake of something I should support it. I try to help set-up at matches even when it's not my club. I want to be considered as more than just a taker who doesn't give back. YMMV

Exactly @egd5

13 hours ago, Glockster1 said:

Registering with a higher classification won't mean anything, because the stats person should be running a classification update prior to finalizing the results, and if you don't have a member number, you'll be listed as "U" class.   If you aren't a member, you don't have a classification.

@Glockster1, you said this:  "Of course, if you enjoy having them disclosing all  your personal information for the entire world to see on SCSA"

Can you explain that?  Where does this happen?  What personal information is available?

Regarding membership:  While USPSA/SCSA gets money from my club every time I shoot a match, I prefer to also support the sports I participate in via memberships.  I also like to shoot majors, because they are fun.  People certainly CAN choose to continually shoot the sport without supporting the sport, but.....well.

If you enjoy the sport, why not support the sport?  (Someone shooting 60 matches a year, for example, certainly has an extra $25 lying around.)

12 hours ago, egd5 said:

No you don't have to join. I shoot maybe 3-4 idpa shoots per year and I do not belong. But if I shot some every month I would join. I shoot usually 2 a month uspsa and I belong. I think that is the ethical thing to do. They provide a set of rules and structure to the game we enjoy.

unlike idpa, no one cares if you  join uspsa or not. uspsa gets their activity fee money from your participation in the sport whether or not you are a member. If you feel the benefits of membership are worth the $40, then by all means, join up (I did), but you are doing nothing unethical by staying unclassified and paying your match fees at level 1 matches).

I used unethical because I couldn't think of a more appropriate word. However you want to say it, that's how I feel. And I believe there are people who care. But as I ended, YMMV.

meh. it's free-market capitalism. If you shoot regularly, uspsa gets FAR more of your money from entry fees. If there are people that care about whether you are a member or not, it's only because they are either bad at math, or confusing USPSA's business model with the very different (and dumb) IDPA model.

4 minutes ago, TrackCage said:

What do you think their goal is by removing associate memberships? They didn't raise the standard rate, so I'm not buying it's purely about money. I wonder if we'll see a spike in lifetime members?

doesn't look like they removed it, just made it harder to find. Perhaps their original intent with the associate membership was for multiple-member households so only 1 copy of the magazine would be sent.

image.thumb.png.68bde23cd295d8be55743c97a066f0a6.png

Edited by motosapiens