Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide racker's how to keep 'em in place

docscoutjr

Switched to a two sided mount on my open rig running the racker on the left side.  Only problem now is keeping that dam little 6-32 set screw in place.  Gave it a bit too much locktite (yes the blue kind) and that took way more effort to get it out than I would be able to handle at a match if needed.  I have heard use a bit of finger nail polish?  So what is everyone doing/using to keep their rackers in place?  The detents seem interesting but not sure how far I trust them.  

Thanks for the input so far.  Odd that my 'smith used a Brazos slide for my new build, but didn't mention the rackers.  Might not have time to get that done for this season.  In the meantime I am looking into an M4 torx head set screw as an alternative.  You can torque then down a lot more than a regular hex and they don't strip half as easy.  Stand by on that.  

I use a couple of drops of Vibra Tite VC3 on the set screws of my rackers. No issues of the set screws working loose and unlike blue loctite, the bond is reusable.

I use it for the screws holding my red dots to the mount as well. 

Awesome stuff.

19 hours ago, Hooked said:

I use a couple of drops of Vibra Tite VC3 on the set screws of my rackers. No issues of the set screws working loose and unlike blue loctite, the bond is reusable.

I use it for the screws holding my red dots to the mount as well. 

Awesome stuff.

Ahhh...hadn't thought of that.  Thanks!! 

2 hours ago, docscoutjr said:

Ahhh...hadn't thought of that.  Thanks!! 

Just make sure you clean/degrease the screws and screw holes first to get a good bond. I just use 99% rubbing alcohol. Also, Vibra-Tite VC3 needs about 10 mins to set up before you put the pieces together.

Use red Loctite and get a butane torch. Just heat up the set screws and they come out easily.  Hold the torch on it for a few sec at a time, check it and continue. It won’t take more than about 15sec. or so...I use red with my grip screws, mount screws for the dot and thumb-rest screws and comp. Heat makes easy work of red Loctite. 

Edited by a matt

• 2 weeks later...

I have had an issue with mine always coming loose, even with blue loctite. I just drilled a detent into the site cut, and the screw now sits in that. Even if it does come loose, it will still remain in place.