Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, EEH said:

I’ll take that, but you posted about primers on Saturday. How long does it take you to make a decision? 👀

😂😂 And he’s not likely to buy the whole skid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/7/2020 at 5:52 PM, looking4reloadingdeals said:


What would be the purpose of using rifle primers in non major loaded pistol loads? Only needing to stock one kind of primer?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty much it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
not trying to talk you out of them, but do a search on "breach face erosion" and you will find some people have issues with rifle primers in pistol loads.
 
 

I had this problem with some really old Tula pistol primers in my Glock 34. In the end it cost me $250 for Glock to replace my entire gun (since it wasn’t made in the US they didn’t have replace parts they could send me or something and needed to replace the whole thing). After that I have always stuck to what is suggested and reputable brands. Ie. I only run CCI any more. The $80 I saved by buying 10k Tula SPP ended up costing me $250, 5 hours at the bench pulling 1500 rounds to remove primers, and in the end about 2-3k lost primers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to post
Share on other sites

The CCI Small rifle primers are the only ones I have used with my 38 SC and my 9mm Major.  They are great and I have never had any issues with them. My 38 SC is shooting at 1500FPS since I am using 115 gr bullets with 12.0 grains of AA#7.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ar15rick said:

The CCI Small rifle primers are the only ones I have used with my 38 SC and my 9mm Major.  They are great and I have never had any issues with them. My 38 SC is shooting at 1500FPS since I am using 115 gr bullets with 12.0 grains of AA#7.  

can you post a video of the recoil?  I'd like to see 1500 fps in action

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
can you post a video of the recoil?  I'd like to see 1500 fps in action
 
Here is a video of me shooting a match with that combination. This is on an Akai V8.



Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ar15rick said:

Here is a video of me shooting a match with that combination. This is on an Akai V8.
 

 


Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
 

 

Either you went full auto or have the fastest splits i've ever heard

Link to post
Share on other sites
Either you went full auto or have the fastest splits i've ever heard
Lol no full auto it was my finger. They were close up targets so I just let it rip. It also helps when I have 1.5lbs trigger.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

So i bought 9k of what i thought were CCI small rifle. put them in the bag, brought them home and put them in the flammables cabinet without looking at them.  I finally ran out of primers so i go to grab my cci small rifle today, and it turns out they are cci small rifle magnum.  

 

My question is will they still work with 38 sc? 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Tula small rifle magnum primers in 9mm, .45ACP and .223/5.56 and have had no problems with them.  I bought a very large amount years ago, they aren't available now.  Never had a problem with ignition but only use them in 1911s and the AR.  I use Australian Clays in the 9mm and .45 (had a large amount of it also - not available now).  Only problem is if you use something that produces light primer strikes, best thing is just to try a few and see if they work for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Steve RA said:

I use Tula small rifle magnum primers in 9mm, .45ACP and .223/5.56 and have had no problems with them.  I bought a very large amount years ago, they aren't available now.  Never had a problem with ignition but only use them in 1911s and the AR.  I use Australian Clays in the 9mm and .45 (had a large amount of it also - not available now).  Only problem is if you use something that produces light primer strikes, best thing is just to try a few and see if they work for you.

im using it for a 38sc racegun

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020 at 4:41 PM, AverageJoeShooting said:

So i bought 9k of what i thought were CCI small rifle. put them in the bag, brought them home and put them in the flammables cabinet without looking at them.  I finally ran out of primers so i go to grab my cci small rifle today, and it turns out they are cci small rifle magnum.  

 

My question is will they still work with 38 sc? 

 

 


Curious as to how much you got them for per thousand? Sent you a PM in case you'd rather not share publicly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been shooting Tula, wolf, CCI, small regular and mag primers for years in my pistols, especially my open gun. Never noticed any breech face issues. Back before Obama was elected, buddy and I bought about 100K Tula/Wolfs when they were $19 per thousand..just about out now..which I could still get them..

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, falconpilot said:

Been shooting Tula, wolf, CCI, small regular and mag primers for years in my pistols, especially my open gun. Never noticed any breech face issues. Back before Obama was elected, buddy and I bought about 100K Tula/Wolfs when they were $19 per thousand..just about out now..which I could still get them..

Anyone happen to have a starting load for 38sc open with AA7 with cci 450, small rifle magnum?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I shoot 38SC Open, load 10.2 gr AA7, Hornady 125 HAP, CCI SPP, Star Line, approx. 1385fps. My personal experience, I didn't see a big difference between SPP or SRP, but if you start about 9 gr, should be a good starting point. I know a lot of folks use SRP, I just don't see the advantages, unless it's all you have.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...