Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cci small rifle

AverageJoeShooting

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use small rifle primers in just about everything I load.  .380, 9, 40, 38sc, etc.  You need/should run rifle primers at major pf.  That way you get less primer flow and flattening.

What would be the purpose of using rifle primers in non major loaded pistol loads? Only needing to stock one kind of primer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

What would be the purpose of using rifle primers in non major loaded pistol loads? Only needing to stock one kind of primer?

Yup. Plus they’re sometimes cheaper. I load all my practice and local match ammo with CCI magnum small pistol’s simply because I can always find them (often on sale) when everything else is out of stock.

And if your gun and reloading press combination will handle those 100%... you feel damn good about your reliability at Major matches with non-magnum primers.

I have yet to see a noticeable velocity difference at the chrono between CCI 500s and 550, btw.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Yup. Plus they’re sometimes cheaper. I load all my practice and local match ammo with CCI magnum small pistol’s simply because I can always find them (often on sale) when everything else is out of stock.

And if your gun and reloading press combination will handle those 100%... you feel damn good about your reliability at Major matches with non-magnum primers.

I have yet to see a noticeable velocity difference at the chrono between CCI 500s and 550, btw.

Good to know. I’m always able to get both cci small pistol and small rifle for $150/case and I stock both for 9mm and 223. Sounds like I might need to do some experiments with the rifle primers and then switch to only stocking rifle primers, that sounds much easier.

8 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Good to know. I’m always able to get both cci small pistol and small rifle for $150/case and I stock both for 9mm and 223. Sounds like I might need to do some experiments with the rifle primers and then switch to only stocking rifle primers, that sounds much easier.

That's the whole reason I'm interested. My lgs has a pallet of cci small rifle and they are trying to get rid of them. So I figured maybe id stock up

That's the whole reason I'm interested. My lgs has a pallet of cci small rifle and they are trying to get rid of them. So I figured maybe id stock up

At this point I would say to load up your current favorite load with srp instead of what you use normally and run some over a chrono and see if you get any reliability issues. Or just go buy 1k and start there?

I assume the cups on the SRP are harder than SP?

I’ve hard problems with CCI SP and light strikes in the past. So I would assume I’d have even more issues with CCI SR?

I use FEDERAL and Winchester SP almost exclusively in my pistol loads. Would same hold true for FEDERAL and Winchester SR primers in terms of cup hardness?

I have use both SPP and SRP from CCI, honestly, I can't tell the difference? Have not tried the magnum primers, see no need. I haven't had any issues with either backing out, or not igniting. I shoot Starline 38 SC SSP as a regular load.

37 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

wow, must be a pretty good deal to jump in at 10k!

I buy 10k whenever I go near certain stores. Wait until there is another component shortage like 09 when I started. You too will think 10k is child’s play.

I buy 10k whenever I go near certain stores. Wait until there is another component shortage like 09 when I started. You too will think 10k is child’s play.

Oh, I certainly have tons and tons of components around, I just meant 10k seems like a lot for testing something. Like he said, most people said there should be no problem, but I personally would start with a lesser quantity at first and then go all in is all.

10 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

wow, must be a pretty good deal to jump in at 10k!

Yea like I said the lgs has an entire pallet full and they are just looking to get rid of them. Normally I'd test with something lower but enough people have replied that I dont feel like there will be an issue. If the price wasnt so low I'd jump in a bit lower....but hey I cant pass up good deals...especially when it comes to guns or gun related things!

I used about 10K of them last year w/no probs in Open and Single Stack.  They won't work in totally de-sprunged DA/SA or Revos, but a pound or so over "Federal Primers Only" and they do fine.

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Yea like I said the lgs has an entire pallet full and they are just looking to get rid of them. Normally I'd test with something lower but enough people have replied that I dont feel like there will be an issue. If the price wasnt so low I'd jump in a bit lower....but hey I cant pass up good deals...especially when it comes to guns or gun related things!

If they discount them deeply buy half the pallet and stash them away for rainy days which we all know will return some day

I’ll take that, but you posted about primers on Saturday. How long does it take you to make a decision? 👀

last time I found some in Columbia me and a buddy of mine bought 35,000.