Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ron Power Grand Master custom revolvers

bcp

Who has experience with the Ron Power Grand Master custom PPC revolvers?  It would be great to see photos and hear about your range experiences.  If you haven't seen the Ron Power custom build for Clint Smith or videos related to that, check them out.  Clint talks about wearing out a 100 yd target with his.    

• 4 weeks later...

Here’s a couple of recent acquisitions.  We have a 10-6 bull barrel just before Ron started building his full house Grand Masters…and then something a bit different at the end of Ron’s time…a stainless full house Grand Master Universal in .44 mag.  These 2 pistols kind of book-end Ron’s custom PPC career.  The details are numerous…full stippling of back straps, custom barrels and Bomar ribs, extensive action work, custom palm swell grips, etc, etc. The actions are amazing and the triggers are CRISP!

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 9.37.31 PM.jpeg

IMG_5627.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 9.35.54 PM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 9.36.21 PM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 9.36.54 PM.jpeg

I have only seen 1 Power Custom up north and it was magnificent.

Murray Charlton built PPC revolvers that were, IMO, equal to the Power Customs.  I have shot a number of his.

A couple of friends bought Davis Windmasters, and there weren' t half the gun that the Charltons were.

I haven't seen examples of Charlton's work.  Any photos?

I also like the stop screw.  It's a simple but clever feature.  There are a lot of details like that.  

Ron also invented the Wichita Rib, shown on the .44 above, and licenced the manufacturing to Wichita Arms in Wichita, KS. They also made many bolt action and break open pistols for shooting Metallic Silhouette.

2 hours ago, bcp said:

I haven't seen examples of Charlton's work.  Any photos?

I also like the stop screw.  It's a simple but clever feature.  There are a lot of details like that.  

Murray would install the Power Custom sight or the Aristocrat sight to the users choice.

He has made them with slab side barrels, but as PPC isn't shot much up north anymore, we aren't seeing the guns much.

1500gun.jpg

1 hour ago, Toolguy said:

Ron also invented the Wichita Rib, shown on the .44 above, and licenced the manufacturing to Wichita Arms in Wichita, KS. They also made many bolt action and break open pistols for shooting Metallic Silhouette.

They also made a nice adjustable rear sight that was an alternative to a BoMar. While the BoMar was square and sharp the Whichita had a nicely rounded body and rear blade. I had one sunk into a Tanfoglio back in the 90s and whish I had bought more.  

• 6 months later...

Use to shoot PPC in the late 1970s with Bill Davis Model 10s with 6" bull bbls then broke down and 

bought a Powers Grandmaster from my shooting partner and loved the feel of the  Model 65 SS frame

with the Bomar Front & Rear adjustable sights.

I shot several 600/600 scores when 24 rnds were shot at 50 Yds...(Shot PPC as a Distinguished Master

with a 590 avg over 12 years 1976-1988 with the Spokane Police Dept)

Power's GrandMaster 006.JPG

Power's GrandMaster 007.JPG

Power's GrandMaster 008.JPG

• 3 months later...

Warren, I bet that 625 with 185-grain Softball loads is the Cat's Meow! Wonder why more people didn't try that, as Moonclips are faster than Speedloaders and a .451 projo cuts a bigger hole than a .357?

• 3 weeks later...

Ron Power built a model 66 for me as the ultimate duty gun (and it was )and I have shot a couple of his PPC revolvers that I thought were the cats meow. Then I actually bought one of Warren Moore's 686 PPC revolvers and shot PPC with it and I think they are every bit as good as the Powers revolvers. Mine was absolutely a masterpiece. After I quit shooting PPC I sold it to another PPC shooter so it would continue tearing up the PPC course (I even shot the Bianchi Cup course with it some and it was awesome there too!)