Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Tactical Sport Orange spare upper help

Jonesjohnm

Good Evening all,

I recently picked up a spare complete 9mm upper from a fellow member here for my new TSO 40. The upper is in really nice shape, however it’s much tighter on my frame than my oem upper... too tight. It seems to me that the slide rails just need to be thinned as the slide is a hair to wide. Any advice on what to use and how to do so?

bff34c5e5ea05c225e021f7aa22b3468.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Square honing stone.  Even amount of strokes on each side of the upper.

I ordered a square fine norton India stone and some honing oil. It’ll be here tomorrow.

Is there a particular process to follow, method? I’ve seen smiths use sharpie on the slide rails to indicated areas needing thinning. Do I just try to focus on indicated areas or simply make 3 smooth full passes on each side then test fit the slide to frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd do the even full length strokes to start.  Go slow and stop to test every 3-5 passes on each side.  You'll likely go from fitting tight to just right from one set of passes to the next.  You want it so you can get the slide on with some tension.  Then go shoot the gun and it will smooth up the last little bit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 1:26 PM, Jonesjohnm said:

Is there a particular process to follow, method? I’ve seen smiths use sharpie on the slide rails to indicated areas needing thinning. Do I just try to focus on indicated areas or simply make 3 smooth full passes on each side then test fit the slide to frame?

Color the rails with the sharpie and then fit the new slide to the frame.  The tight spots will be indicated where the ink has been rubbed off.