Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot moa 3 vs 6

MFM22

Thinking of  getting RD for G34 gen 5  & CZP10F OR.  .  Some folks  recommend 6 moa for pistol  USPSA since targets are usually 25yds and closer

I looked around at local shops  no 6's to be found of any manufacturer. I was trying to find Vortex Venom  , even on line it's not so common ?

is it worth the effort , I know it's personal. I'm over 60  so vision has been better. Lol   Figured dot may be the way to go , I did lots of searching and larger dots seem to be gaining popularity with shooters that have been using 2-3 moa.   Maybe they're just getting older 

Edited by MFM22

Small dots are only good for bullseye, or other precision shooting.  They are too small to see on white steel in bright light.  I am currently using only 5, 6, 8 and 12 MOA dots for competitions.  I use the 5s for USPSA only because that is the largest dot they make in the sight I wanted to use.  I use the 12 for Steel Challenge.  It is very helpful on white steel.  For everything else, including bullseye, it is the 6s and the 8s.  The only exception is the DPP 2.5 MOA dot on one of my competition rimfire pistols.  It is super bright and blooms at max brightness.  So it is easy to pick up.

Brightness is more important than dot size.  If it can get bright enough, size matters less.

How close your eye is to it makes a difference.  A 6-min on a frame-mounted Open gun looks a lot smaller than a 6 min on a slide-mount CO pistol.

I see no difference in USPSA stages and drill times/points between a 2.5min SRO and a 5min SRO on two otherwise-identical CO pistols.  The 2.5 "feels" more precise, but can be harder to find if the brightness is too low for conditions.  The flip side is a bigger dot can be 'too bright' for conditions if cranked up too much.  Those are mostly only a thing when you have stages in and out of the sun or buildings/covers and whatnot.

I shot a 3-min dot well into M-class in Open years ago, then switched to 6-min for other reasons and mostly ran that through GM, even though I had 7, 10 and even a 12 min modules I tried over the years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2020 at 8:39 PM, MFM22 said:

Thinking of  getting RD for G34 gen 5  & CZP10F OR.  .  Some folks  recommend 6 moa for pistol  USPSA since targets are usually 25yds and closer

I looked around at local shops  no 6's to be found of any manufacturer. I was trying to find Vortex Venom  , even on line it's not so common ?

is it worth the effort , I know it's personal. I'm over 60  so vision has been better. Lol   Figured dot may be the way to go , I did lots of searching and larger dots seem to be gaining popularity with shooters that have been using 2-3 moa.   Maybe they're just getting older 

Large dots have been popular since dots have been used in USPSA. Back when there were a lot of 50 yd standards some of the top shooters were using 12 MOA. They are actually easy to use at that distance if you use the top of your dot for your aiming point at that distance and they are smoking fast at 15 yards. The larger dots are not getting more popular, the manufacturers of the mini sights are just accomodating the competition market better than they had in the past. When I shot open with a C-More in 1994  I started out with an 8 MOA and it worked great.

On 3/6/2020 at 8:39 PM, MFM22 said:

Large dots have been popular since dots have been used in USPSA. Back when there were a lot of 50 yd standards some of the top shooters were using 12 MOA. They are actually easy to use at that distance if you use the top of your dot for your aiming point at that distance and they are smoking fast at 15 yards. The larger dots are not getting more popular, the manufacturers of the mini sights are just accomodating the competition market better than they had in the past. When I shot open with a C-More in 1994  I started out with an 8 MOA and it worked great.

Still haven't had a chance to try anything - all ranges are closed -  will  get at least a 6 moa  - Vortex Venom is available with 6 moa but not many around 

The Holsun  507  & 508  have the large ring & small dot  in same unit - worth checking out 

Edited by MFM22

The venom 3 moa dot is not very bright in the sun.  the 6 moa is usable.

The Holosun 2 moa is bright enough that its visible in the sun and 32 circle dot is fun up close for hoser stages 

It seems that Vortex builds them in cycles.  Several months ago no one had 3 MOA dots, now it seems 6 MOA dots are harder to find.  Thinking about breaking one of my rules and using a Venom to back up a scope on an AR and take the front iron off.

• 1 year later...

Besides the obvious MOA sizes, the 6 MOA is much better for shooters with astigmatism under daylight.

Bright daylight will wash away the emitter red dot starburst, even if the brightness is dialed up all the way, and leave the user with a round center dot.

The reason is that the emitter starburst doesn't cover up the circle dot when you crank up the brightness, so the round dot appears much more visible than a 3 MOA or smaller dot.

It's easier for the eyes to see and great for most pistol applications.

It kinda make sense, and I haven't seen it explained this way. You can read about it here: https://www.badassoptic.com/3-moa-vs-6-moa-reticle-comparison/

Edited by atlantixyl

11 hours ago, atlantixyl said:

Besides the obvious MOA sizes, the 6 MOA is much better for shooters with astigmatism under daylight.

Bright daylight will wash away the emitter red dot starburst, even if the brightness is dialed up all the way, and leave the user with a round center dot.

The reason is that the emitter starburst doesn't cover up the circle dot when you crank up the brightness, so the round dot appears much more visible than a 3 MOA or smaller dot.

It's easier for the eyes to see and great for most pistol applications.

It kinda make sense, and I haven't seen it explained this way. You can read about it here: https://www.badassoptic.com/3-moa-vs-6-moa-reticle-comparison/

Yes, I've noticed this.  My dot is a perfect circle when shooting outside, particularly in the sun, but indoors it's a comet.

• 2 weeks later...