Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio 9mm major barrel

Badluck2

So I know this is probably been talked about somewhere but I'm the kind of guy that doesn't like to search for too long. I am a huge fan of 9 major and I am looking to build a tanfoglio gold custom open 9 major gun. I've read some forms and seems to be that the V12 Barrel is no good. And the stock Barrel that they provide is no good either. First if I was to buy a brand new 6 inch 9 mm Barrel and had the Unica compensator installed that this would make a successful 9 major setup?  Second does the Unica compensator come with a cone attached to it like the stock compensators? Three has anybody had an experience with the Unica compensator.?  Thoughts from any of the tanfoglio GooRoo's would be appreciated🤪Thanks

I took a Unica comp and enlarged it some internally(kinda' squared off the internal shape for more volume). I milled off the V12 comp which left the cone and I attached it to the Unica comp and screwed both to the V12 barrel and then pinned it together for security. It seemed to work okay. The problem, for me, was that the magazines limit cartridge OAL to what fits in the mag and its hard( but not impossible ) to get a bullet and powder combo to work like I can get to work in a 2011. It was a fun project,,, still have the gun, just never shoot it much. The other gun in the pic is a .40 caliber open gun on a Match frame. Another story,,,

gunz2.jpg

15 hours ago, Badluck2 said:

So I know this is probably been talked about somewhere but I'm the kind of guy that doesn't like to search for too long. I am a huge fan of 9 major and I am looking to build a tanfoglio gold custom open 9 major gun. I've read some forms and seems to be that the V12 Barrel is no good. And the stock Barrel that they provide is no good either. First if I was to buy a brand new 6 inch 9 mm Barrel and had the Unica compensator installed that this would make a successful 9 major setup?  Second does the Unica compensator come with a cone attached to it like the stock compensators? Three has anybody had an experience with the Unica compensator.?  Thoughts from any of the tanfoglio GooRoo's would be appreciated🤪Thanks

Fyi the Gold Team V12 is not “no good”.  It performs well but not excellent; get your loads right.  Now if you’re wanting a build project, you picked a good (challenging) one. Have fun!

Stock v12 barrel is awesome.  Extremely accurate (once the slop is taken out of the slide to frame fit - I peened mine).

Will perform better than most open guns in good hands as a result of the fast recoil cycle and centering effect of the v ports.  

The left target is an A and C zone at 11 yards.  The right target is smaller than that and at least 15 yards away, more like 18 realistically.

124s over Shooters World Major.

Excuse the lack of voice, my phone had an automatic noise filter I didn’t know about.