Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VR 80 Muzzle Brake install help.

I just received a new short brake from Advanced tactical but I am struggling to see how it installs.  I remove the barrel shroud and replaced it with the handguard retaining nut.  I how ever cannot get the smaller castle nut looking part to thread onto the muzzle threads.  The brake screws on just fine but I can't see how to lock it in place one I time it.  Also I bought a new briley choke but it does not fit.  As far as my cheap calipers can tell it appears to be dimensionally the same as the RIA chokes but it only goes halfway in before it binds up.  I am able to change all of the RIA chokes without any issue.

UPDATE:

Talked to Briley, they said that it is common for the mobil choke pattern to be cut out of speck on some firearms, I am sending one of the RIA chokes and the new chokes back for them to compare and see if they can modify their chokes or make custom ones.  So far I am very happy with their technical support.

After some more investigation I realized that I was supposed to thread the locking nut onto the barrel before the brake however the threads on the nut appear to be cut wrong because I can only get it to thread onto the barrel about a 1/2 turn before it jams up and I have tried to force it but even when I put more torque on it than I feel comfortable it still won't go on any more.  I called advanced tactical and described my problem, and someone reached back out to me via email asking for pictures of the locking nut which I provided and I am waiting on a response.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE 2:

Heard back from Briley and they said that the RIA choke was similar but not identical to the Mobil pattern and that the thread pitches were different. 

Has anyone used aftermarket chokes with their VR-80 and if so which brands?

Also I have yet to receive an update from Advanced Tactical, I was told on Thursday to expect an update on Friday and I have not heard anything.  If it wasn't almost $10 in shipping alone I would just by another locking nut.

5 hours ago, Gunner_Freeman said:

UPDATE 2:

Heard back from Briley and they said that the RIA choke was similar but not identical to the Mobil pattern and that the thread pitches were different. 

Has anyone used aftermarket chokes with their VR-80 and if so which brands?

Also I have yet to receive an update from Advanced Tactical, I was told on Thursday to expect an update on Friday and I have not heard anything.  If it wasn't almost $10 in shipping alone I would just by another locking nut.

carlson's are perfect