Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grayguns Compentition Kit plus Apex Trigger Bar Question

gregj529

36 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Not at all.  The trigger is fine.  I think we talked about this before, and I have reached out to Grayguns, and they have yet responded to my questions, or requests.  My triggers over time do not have a crisp break.  Its more of a rolling break, which I think I am ok with.  I would really like the ability to buy just the springs, versus buying a whole new kit for maintenance.  Just trying to understand the differences in the two kits.  I don't really want the adjustable trigger in all honesty.  To many changes to a gun can just make it unreliable, and I am not looking for that.  Just looking for that drop in trigger I can use and not worry about, that also has the ability to perform maintenance.

If you are emailing Gray Guns be sure to check your spam box.

For some reason on my system GG mail gets caught in there.

Have you tried the OEM trigger bar spring ?

15 minutes ago, DirectDrive said:

Have you tried the OEM trigger bar spring ?

Yes.  I actually think the stock X5 Legion trigger is fine for competition.  I may just go back to their springs if GrayGuns indicates they will not sell just the springs.  By the end of the summer I will have three X5 Legions for Carry Optics, and I want the springs be similar.  Funny you said check the spam, I just found their auto response email in the spam box.  Thanks for the tip.

I am relatively new to USPSA, and just trying to put the final touches on my program.

18 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Yes.  I actually think the stock X5 Legion trigger is fine for competition.  I may just go back to their springs if GrayGuns indicates they will not sell just the springs.  By the end of the summer I will have three X5 Legions for Carry Optics, and I want the springs be similar.  Funny you said check the spam, I just found their auto response email in the spam box.  Thanks for the tip.

I am relatively new to USPSA, and just trying to put the final touches on my program.

Relatively new to USPSA and you'll have 3 legions?    Damn!  :bow:

15 hours ago, LMS said:

Relatively new to USPSA and you'll have 3 legions?    Damn!  :bow:

I currently have 1 and 1 I pieced together from an extra TXG grip module that I use as a practice gun. Still working on the third. That’s why I am asking questions about how different the new trigger is. 😝

Edited by Boomstick303

Have any of you tired the adjustable trigger?   Does it remove any of the take up?   What about overtravel.   Just wondering the benefits.  Also armory craft has one.  Anyone with experience using it with either competition kit? 

Edited by gaj529

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 6:08 AM, gaj529 said:

Have any of you tired the adjustable trigger?   Does it remove any of the take up?   What about overtravel.   Just wondering the benefits.  Also armory craft has one.  Anyone with experience using it with either competition kit? 

I switched from a hybrid Apex/GG to fully GG. Overtravel is short enough, pretravel doesn´t really matter. The Apex had a shorter reset, which was nice, but somehow i can shoot faster splits with the GG Kit. Must be something about how the trigger breaks or the weight of it.

I have the Armory Craft Trigger too, but i don´t use it. It´s kind of annoying to set it up, locktide the screws and unscrew them to pick the FCU apart. Plus (i heard ) you can deactivate the drop safety if you use the pretravel screw to much.  To me that issn´t worth it. The GG Kit is good enough in my eyes.  

27 minutes ago, bimmer1980 said:

I have the Armory Craft Trigger too, but i don´t use it. It´s kind of annoying to set it up, locktide the screws and unscrew them to pick the FCU apart.  

That's what turned me off of the Armory Craft trigger. I like to take the FCU apart for a deep cleaning every so often and having to re-do the trigger each time got old real fast.

I did like the ability to shorten up the pre-travel a bit but in the end replaced it with the new GG adjustable.

(The new GG adjustable has it's own annoyance in that the shrouding around the trigger pin makes installation more difficult. Not sure why that needed to change from the original design.)

1 hour ago, ddc said:

"The new GG adjustable has its own annoyance in that the shrouding around the trigger pin makes installation more difficult." 

My experience mirrors the statement captioned above. Despite multiple attempts, I have been unsuccessful in getting the trigger stud to mate with the trigger bar. (I have installed several other p320 triggers without difficulty.) 

Customer service at GG indicated their awareness of this problem and offered to exchange my trigger and trigger bar for new ones. Unfortunately the issue remains unresolved. If anyone has found a successful solution to this installation, please be kind enough to share it. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, mpssrh said:

My experience mirrors the statement captioned above. Despite multiple attempts, I have been unsuccessful in getting the trigger stud to mate with the trigger bar. (I have installed several other p320 triggers without difficulty.) 

Customer service at GG indicated their awareness of this problem and offered to exchange my trigger and trigger bar for new ones. Unfortunately the issue remains unresolved. If anyone has found a successful solution to this installation, please be kind enough to share it. Thanks.

I can get mine to mate up ok but I can't use my old technique to get the trigger/bar/spring installed. I have to locate the trigger and trigger bar first into their fully installed position and then manipulate the spring into position.

1 hour ago, mpssrh said:

I found a video this weekend that showed a way to put the trigger in first because of the issue you're talking about.  Then they inserted the trigger return spring last.   It worked in the video and worked for me.  I'll try to find it in my history when I get home and comment again.

1 hour ago, ddc said:

I can get mine to mate up ok but I can't use my old technique to get the trigger/bar/spring installed. I have to locate the trigger and trigger bar first into their fully installed position and then manipulate the spring into position.

Thanks for your reply.

One guy at our range has tried the same thing, and he described the process as follows: "It's kinda like trying to put 5 pounds of sugar in a 2 pound sack!" (Better to laugh than cry...that's for sure.) 

Edited by mpssrh

1 hour ago, mpssrh said:

This will show you the way they did it using the adjustable trigger.  This worked for me too.  Around 15:35 in the video.

Edited by gaj529

23 minutes ago, gaj529 said:

I found a video this weekend that showed a way to put the trigger in first because of the issue you're talking about.  Then they inserted the trigger return spring last.   It worked in the video and worked for me.  I'll try to find it in my history when I get home and comment again.

Wow! You found the video I needed. It is great to be able to visualize the correct process. When I tried installing the spring as the final step, I was attempting to install the spring-with-hook as the final step, rather than the "dogleg." Live and learn...

Thanks so much for your help. We have the nicest persons on this Forum. We are indeed fortunate!

Edited by mpssrh

2 hours ago, mpssrh said:

Wow! You found the video I needed. It is great to be able to visualize the correct process. When I tried installing the spring as the final step, I was attempting to install the spring-with-hook as the final step, rather than the "dogleg." Live and learn...

Thanks so much for your help. We have the nicest persons on this Forum. We are indeed fortunate!

yeah, i've been doing the same thing, installing hooked end first. I'll try it the other way next time.

For those that are "deep cleaning" that requires removal of trigger, what are you doing that for ???

That is over the top, stop it.

Put the fully adjustable trigger in there and leave it in there !

Don't create problems that should not exist.

Well now, there's my 2 cents.

:D

4 hours ago, gaj529 said:

This will show you the way they did it using the adjustable trigger.  This worked for me too.  Around 15:35 in the video.

Sheesh, that guy's full of caffeine and his nomenclature is consistently off throughout the video.

Agree, start watching at about 16:00 for the Gray Guns trigger install technique.

Use the Sig Sauer Guy's video for everything else.

1 hour ago, DirectDrive said:

Sheesh, that guy's full of caffeine and his nomenclature is consistently off throughout the video.

Agree, start watching at about 16:00 for the Gray Guns trigger install technique.

Use the Sig Sauer Guy's video for everything else.

I agree with you and that’s exactly what I did too. 

15 hours ago, DirectDrive said:

For those that are "deep cleaning" that requires removal of trigger, what are you doing that for ???

That is over the top, stop it.

Put the fully adjustable trigger in there and leave it in there !

Don't create problems that should not exist.

Well now, there's my 2 cents.

:D

Thats right. For cleaning you don´t need to do that.

In my case i had to play a lot with the sear and trigger return springs to don´t get under 3lb (IPSC). Still have to be aware of that as the springs wear out and the trigger breaks in.  

It´s a pain in the A** to readjust and locktide the trigger every time.  

8 hours ago, bimmer1980 said:

Thats right. For cleaning you don´t need to do that.

In my case i had to play a lot with the sear and trigger return springs to don´t get under 3lb (IPSC). Still have to be aware of that as the springs wear out and the trigger breaks in.  

It´s a pain in the A** to readjust and locktide the trigger every time.  

Copy that.

The OCD cleaning.... those guys...they're on their own.

Agree, it is a bit of a PITA to have to go in once the adjustable trigger is in and set.

For me, having that sweet, perfectly adjusted take-up, it's worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2020 at 12:17 AM, Boomstick303 said:

Not at all.  The trigger is fine.  I think we talked about this before, and I have reached out to Grayguns, and they have yet responded to my questions, or requests.  My triggers over time do not have a crisp break.  Its more of a rolling break, which I think I am ok with.  I would really like the ability to buy just the springs, versus buying a whole new kit for maintenance.  Just trying to understand the differences in the two kits.  I don't really want the adjustable trigger in all honesty.  To many changes to a gun can just make it unreliable, and I am not looking for that.  Just looking for that drop in trigger I can use and not worry about, that also has the ability to perform maintenance.

Tactical Pontoon sells a spring set for the p320. I haven't tried it out yet but looks like a good replacement. I have a set just to try in the future.20190701_024719-01.jpeg

7 hours ago, DanPham said:

Tactical Pontoon sells a spring set for the p320. I haven't tried it out yet but looks like a good replacement. I have a set just to try in the future.20190701_024719-01.jpeg

Sig Sauer Guy tested those and the result was no benefit.

And zero customer service, if I recall.

Don't bother with the Tactical Pontoon Springs.

Save your $20 + shipping and buy ammo.

Edited by DirectDrive

On 7/2/2020 at 2:41 PM, DirectDrive said:

Sig Sauer Guy tested those and the result was no benefit.

And zero customer service, if I recall.

Don't bother with the Tactical Pontoon Springs.

Save your $20 + shipping and buy ammo.

Mine reduced the weight a good bit over the stock springs. (Apex only Triggerkit)

I think they are about the same like in the GG Kit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 11:17 PM, Boomstick303 said:

Once you have purchased the kit. GG will sell you all the replacement springs you want. Just give them a call. That what I did and they sold be 4 sets of just the springs.