Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shortblock kits

KyleJ

Currently shooting a TSO in limited but looking to add a 2011 style pistol to try out. A friend showed me the Warwick Tactical shortblock kits. For about $1100, I can have a frame/slide/barrel fit and ready to go. 

I was originally planning to get a used Edge but since I'd likely be changing out the grip, magwell, trigger and other components it seems reasonable to buy a shortblock kit and assemble it with the things I'd be purchasing to upgrade an edge anyways. Unfortunately I don't have the funds to shell out for a custom. 

Thoughts? Advice?  

Price out everything you’ll need to complete the short block kit, trigger group, grips, sights etc. now add tools and jigs you may need to complete the build, at the very least a good file set and stones. Now add the cost of whatever coating you'll put on it.

in the end the cost may be pretty close to their custom guns that cost $2850 and also come with 2 mags.

If I were going to build a custom 2011 Limited gun I'd definitely start with either the Brazos Custom short block (Lightning) or the Warwick Tactical Tr-top short block.  If I didn't want to build it myself, I'd just buy the Warwick Limited gun.  It may take some time, because they are currently trying to catch up on parts orders.

A 2011 isn’t like other guns. EVERYthing needs to be fitted with patience and expertise, good measuring equipment, and often with specialized fixtures/tooling.

Building this gun makes sense if:

(1) You love building things as much as you love shooting. Or more. You really want to build your own gun, despite it taking far longer and costing more than having someone else do it.

(2) You plan to own several limited and open guns in the next few years, which makes learning to build your own financially sensible.

If neither applies, have someone knowledgeable  build this gun.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I do enjoy building things, which was part of the allure of a shortblock kit. I was planning on finishing it with second hand parts from this forum and specifically a plastic DVC style grip. I guess I'm not as familiar with the process of fitting components to a plastic grip, as the slide/barrel/frame would be fit when it showed up to my door. I haven't messed with 2011s a bunch other than shooting a few and basic field strip. 

Really it was/is a somewhat budget driven idea. I want to try out 2011s but don't want to shell out big $$$ until I know I'll be replacing my TSO with one. 

10 hours ago, KyleJ said:

Really it was/is a somewhat budget driven idea. I want to try out 2011s but don't want to shell out big $$$ until I know I'll be replacing my TSO with one. 

If you start with a good short block you have the most expensive, hardest to fit components already done.  A plastic grip will go right on without fitting.  So that leaves the internals.  Everything that goes into the slide is easy to fit, and inexpensive.  The frame parts are not as easy and more costly.  However, if you make a mistake and ruin something, it can easily be replaced.  About the most expensive item is the ambi thumb safety at $140 or so.  Sears are under $30, hammers under $90, etc.

You can save yourself some trouble by buying a trigger kit from someone like Brazos Custom.  He does actually tune them to work together.  That being said, trigger parts from EGW just drop in and work as long as all the holes are in the right place.  If you are buying the SB from Brazos or Warwick, you won't have to worry about that.

BTW, forget about using second hand parts, and especially on your first build.  The cost for everything you will need internally is under $400 for good billet or bar stock parts.

Edited by zzt

I am also planning to buy a SB in the next couple months.  That being said, I have plenty of spare/take off parts floating around.  I think the only thing I need to buy are sights, grip safety and FP Stop assuming I can find everything back.

if you have nothing you should be able to buy everything you need using decent parts for around $500 plus a grip. If you want to use higher end parts like $150 thumb safeties, SVI interchange triggers, aftec extractors the price will probably double

The best part about a short block kit is that the slide cuts may already be done. It keeps you from being an insomniac moron with a bunch of hand files and a "can do" attitude... Ask me how I know.

But as others have said, even though the heavy lifting is done already with a kit, you still have "relatively minor" fitting and work to be done in order to get your gun running reliably.

Don't buy secondhand parts. I'm confident enough in my ability to make things work but I still have about 6 different sets of everything because NOTHING WORKS WHY DID I BUY THIS WHAT MORON FIT THIS SAFETY WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?!

If you're looking at a budget way to try out 2011s... just buy a used Edge, custom, or semicustom that pops up on the Classifieds. Some great deals out there for under 2k.

• 6 months later...

I shoot a Warwick Tactical 2011; fully built from the manufacturer. It is superb and certainly a great deal in the world of 2011s.  Shooting it along side friend’s STI DVCs it is noticeably smoother and better finished. Not sure what the wait on a complete pistol is these days, but a few months back it was over a year and they weren’t taking orders. The pandemic may have changed that. 

This is all just to say I like mine and would recommend them. I have no experience in building them. 

3 hours ago, Pling said:

Not sure what the wait on a complete pistol is these days, but a few months back it was over a year and they weren’t taking orders.

Warwick tactical hasn't been building complete pistol in a dogs age.  The were selling short blocks for a while, but not in the last two years.  The last time I called I was told they could not keep up on orders for there slides, so they were not going to be doing any kind of fitting, including slide to frame.  It's a shame.  They made good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...